Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: What are you playing?

by BogusMeatFactory Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:28 am

I am currently playing....

This is the re-opening of the original game, Habitat, which was later named Club Caribe for the Commodore 64. It was a player driven, social MMO that featured customized player housing, a combat system, a working economy, player made quests, a verb coin in a lucasarts game 12 years before they started doing it for their adventure games... and all of that... in 1986!

I only started this evening, so my experiences are still limited. I explored the main city area and perused the various shops where you can buy customizable body parts, furniture for your home, play games like Checkers, Chess and Backgammon and read books and newspapers written by the community.

What makes this game so charming and fascinating is the community. The people involved in preserving this game are die-hard lovers of the genre. I came across one such member who is working on the project and we spent a good couple hours enthusing about old MMOs, new games and just having a grand old time! I am going to spend a lot of my time engaging in the community there... playing the game and helping out their cause. Old MMOs need love and need to be remembered. This came can still be played on the original Commodore 64 and dialed up to play, which is INSANE!

I highly recommend folks who want to experience an old school virtual world to check it out at The Neo Habitat Website

If you are interested in trying it out and want someone to cruise around with. Just let me know!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:39 am

I would have never thought I would see someone I know 1) Know about Habitat 2) Actually go and play Habitat 3) Actually play Habitat with other people 4) Tell me about it on Racketboy!

This is super cool!
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: BS F-Zero Grand Prix 2 ★★★
http://eriktwice.com/
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:57 am

Erik_Twice wrote:I would have never thought I would see someone I know 1) Know about Habitat 2) Actually go and play Habitat 3) Actually play Habitat with other people 4) Tell me about it on Racketboy!

This is super cool!

WOOOO!! Someone else who knows about this crazy game! The man who designed the original game is still working hard on bringing the game back to its former glory and there are dedicated hardcore players out there.

The game is also going to be set up at GDC this year for people to play! I'll be in the virtual world foe sure to say hi to people!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:18 pm

I knew of Habitat's existence only due to it being in the book, "High Score! The Illustrated History of Electronic Games." I had no idea there was any possible way to access it today.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:23 pm

The digital Antiquarian (Jimmy Maher, from The Future Was Here) wrote a tlot about the game, including a lot of amusing anecdotes:

https://www.filfre.net/2015/07/a-new-fo ... yberspace/

It's a fantastic read, I recommend everyone to read about it.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: BS F-Zero Grand Prix 2 ★★★
http://eriktwice.com/
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:58 pm

Erik_Twice wrote:The digital Antiquarian (Jimmy Maher, from The Future Was Here) wrote a tlot about the game, including a lot of amusing anecdotes:

https://www.filfre.net/2015/07/a-new-fo ... yberspace/

It's a fantastic read, I recommend everyone to read about it.

Wow! Thanks for the read, Farmer, who is mentioned in the article is the guy who is bringing it back. I find the breakdown of player types on the article 100% true and very fascinating, considering they came up with that during development. I see myself as the caretaker role described, which may be why I gravitate so much to games like these.

I mean... to think that there were player police, a church run by a real priest and a player made newspaper that was 50 pages deep filled with stories and editorials about the world.

The Oracle system is probably one of the most fascinating and ambitious ideas that was implemented and replicated in a lesser extent in some of the modern mmos like everquest 2 and their guide system.

Can't wait to log in again and explore some more!

Markies
128-bit

by Markies Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:17 pm

I started Shining Force II on the Sega Genesis this evening!

Shining Force was second favorite game of 2016 and one of the best Genesis games I have ever played. So to say I was excited to play Shining Force II would be an understatement. Right from the word go, the game is so much like the first game. It's like jumping into a pair of comfy pants. The battles are still highly addictive and the characters are even more unique. I was hoping it would be fantastic and so far, I have not been disappointed.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:36 pm

Is it weird that I think I like the first Shining Force more?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:46 pm

noiseredux wrote:Is it weird that I think I like the first Shining Force more?

Is it weird I don’t like Shining Force at all? :lol:

I really should give the series another shot sometime...
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:11 am

noiseredux wrote:Is it weird that I think I like the first Shining Force more?

I like the art style more in the first. Both are awesome games though!

Return to General Gaming