Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: What are you playing?

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:22 pm

The Jaguar is good. I'd say the "b-tier" consoles from that gen (3DO, Jaguar, CD32, PC-FX) are all worth checking out. Lots of hidden gems to be found.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:24 pm

Absolutely flabbergasted by how much I'm loving these Crash games. Nobody here was saying this I don't think, but I heard it elsewhere... anyone that says 2 is easier than 1 is out of their freaking mind. :lol: Probably one of the hardest games I've played this entire year by far. F bombs and rage everywhere, but it's so damn simple and quick to jump back into.

I'm going through 3 now which feels like a difficulty decline finally, which is fine I guess. But you still can't be lazy haha.

Somehow the graphics of the remaster even get better between games too. This doesn't do 3 justice at all but I couldn't find much to share.

ConsoleHandheldGamer
16-bit

by ConsoleHandheldGamer Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:44 pm

I'm playing Etrian Odyssey IV and just beat the boss of the Golden Lair. My party is level 44 and the classes are land/nightseeker/fortress/medic/runemaster.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:17 pm

ConsoleHandheldGamer wrote:I'm playing Etrian Odyssey IV and just beat the boss of the Golden Lair. My party is level 44 and the classes are land/nightseeker/fortress/medic/runemaster.

Is this your first EO game, are or you a veteran?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:28 pm

Currently I'm attempting to finish up the last remaining thread in my October Horror Games Extravaganza©, that being Ghosts 'n Goblins. I'm playing the arcade port found on the Capcom Generations: Chronicles of Arthur for PlayStation. I'm also occasionally asking myself why on earth I'm putting myself through this. I beat it on the NES in my childhood, but really haven't touched it since. This is a frustrating game y'all, but not for the immediately obvious reasons. It's frustrating for the reason that in many spots it achieves greatness, but whenever it's given the choice between going all in on a fully enjoyable play experience and giving a huge Fuck You to the player, it chooses the latter nearly every time. Naturally there's the whole notorious bit of, "oh you just (literally) traipsed through hell, and defeated the final boss? Think again. That part was just an illusion devised by Satan. ... Now do it all over again you little bitch." But somehow I'd forgotten that you need to defeat the final boss with the weakest weapon in the game. And you can only acquire that weapon through a random drop. And that it happens to be the rarest item drop. And that if you haven't acquired that weapon by the time you do get to the final boss, the game will do you the favor of sending you back two levels (which conveniently happen to be the two most hardcore levels in the entire game) until such time that you can acquire it. It's just ... ugh. I honestly can't imagine having the patience to put up with this kind of crap in an arcade setting. Having said that, this game really does have moments where it becomes greater than the sum of its parts, where it's a legitimately awesome game. And on the positive tip, I guess I'm getting pretty good at Ghosts 'n Goblins. :lol: I'm hoping I can beat this one soon though, because then I can just shelve the damned thing for another 25 years. :lol: Wish me luck!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:38 pm

Cuphead. I'm about 74% in after 3 hours or so, must be nearing the end. Think there's three worlds and I'm guessing after that it's some final bosses or something. Overall it's awesome and a real work of art technically, a marvel achievement. But I wouldn't say it's perfect and it could be my old school blood and shmup experience talking, there's just some nitpicks and things I wish were different or better. A lot of deaths feel like it's because of wonky hit detection, or controls that could be a little better and smoother, and some of the boss bullet hell patterns seem outright unavoidable at times because everything seems very random rather than a consistently set static pattern. The aesthetic is amazing, but this kind of classical music sounds like it's taunting you and outright annoying to me after awhile in the midst of playing something so intense. Breaks are probably recommended.

Overall, it's good. But I don't think it'll be on my top 10 this year. I wasn't going in expecting Contra or Mushihimesama, but yeah. It'll be interesting to see what some others here think based on our knowledge of these genres Cuphead pulls from.

For $20 though, I'm not complaining and I'm glad it did really well. The team was 15 people I think with years of work and they definitely deserve the love.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:34 pm

Drive Girls. So far kinda fun little DW clone with some Auto Modellista.

.Hack last Recode. I have never played the PS2 games but have wanted to for a long long time. I saw the anime a long time ago. Remember nothing. I'm just barely starting so can't comment much more than that yet.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:38 pm

Matterfall. Pretty far in and not a long game. Super fun game! Feels a little like Turrican. Very arcade like. The OST is outstanding if you are into 80s synth sound. Just prepare to die a lot. It's platforming + bullet hell. Really sad they won't be making nay more games like this.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
ConsoleHandheldGamer
16-bit

by ConsoleHandheldGamer Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
ConsoleHandheldGamer wrote:I'm playing Etrian Odyssey IV and just beat the boss of the Golden Lair. My party is level 44 and the classes are land/nightseeker/fortress/medic/runemaster.

Is this your first EO game, are or you a veteran?

Sorry I didn't answer before! Technically my first EO game was the first, but I barely played it (this was years ago), EO4 is the first EO game I've played since then and the only one I've beaten. Persona Q and Strange Journey helped ease me into djrpgs.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:46 pm

ConsoleHandheldGamer wrote:Sorry I didn't answer before! Technically my first EO game was the first, but I barely played it (this was years ago), EO4 is the first EO game I've played since then and the only one I've beaten.

If you care to share your thoughts on EO: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=51738
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming