Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
coastercrazy10
64-bit
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:27 pm
Location: Downers Grove, IL

Re: What are you playing?

by coastercrazy10 Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:56 am

Balasubbie wrote:
coastercrazy10 wrote:RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 (+ expansions)


Oh, my word. One of the best pieces of game ever. Gets addictive though, especially
the god-like elements, such as plucking park-goers up by their heads, seeing if they
can swim, get distracted by something else in the park and then have a death on your
conscience.


I remember my brother and I making shuttle loops that intentionally launched too fast into water or the exit had no path leading from it and the guests dropped straight into a lake. It's an incredible game and it is one of the few games I can remember loving as a kid that are as awesome today as they were when I originally played them.

-Ben
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: What are you playing?

by Gamerforlife Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:32 pm

noiseredux wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:Heavy Rain on PS 3


what do you think? I haven't played it yet, but I loved Indigo Prophecy, so definitely plan to get this at some point.


It's interesting. Right off the bat I noticed that this isn't your typical video game story. There are no zombies, aliens, dragons, superheroes, space marines, vampires, Indiana Jones explorers, etc. So far the story has focused squarely on things real people can relate to like parental responsibility, murder, physical abuse against women, etc.

I get the sense that this is a game where choice matters, though it may be that the game is only creating the illusion that my decisions matter. However, the game is always putting me in these situations where it's basically asking you what you want to do and making you consider the possible outcomes or consequences. That's pretty cool

The game has an odd control scheme and it seems like the point of it is to facilitate many of the subtle nuances of controlling a real human being in a way that other games don't. It's hard to explain without playing it. The game is slightly like Shenmue in that it seems to want to focus on all the little details of controlling a REAL person in a REAL world. I mean at the beginning of the game you actually make your character get dressed, shower and brush his teeth and it's all interactive. A bit later, your wife comes home and asks you to put out some dishes but warns you that they are fragile. You have to find the dishes, open the cabinet, take them out, then lay them out on the table SLOWLY. This means moving the analog stick in a very slow fashion or else she chastises you.

The game has quick time events. However, unlike other games they seem to actually matter. I'll give you an example that is a small spoiler. At one point in the game, you hear a women scream after a man enters her apartment. While this happens, I'm still in control of my character and as is often the case in Heavy Rain, the game doesn't seem to be prompting me to do anything in particular. So I decided to move my character over to the door. I made him knock twice, then I made him kick the door down. The woman is on the floor and clearly this guy has hit her. He basically tells me to leave or else. I chose to stay and the game then erupts into this big, long fight sequence and it's all done as one, long quick time event. I missed a few prompts resulting in my character getting beat up a bit, but the fight continued on and after nailing most of the remaining button prompts, crazy ass analog stick prompts and motion control prompts my guy won the fight. This popped a "White Knight" trophy for protecting the woman from this jerk. I felt like that was a quick time event that I could have lost and that doing so would have had consequences. It's probably the most exciting and involving quick time event I've ever seen in a game. I've been told by other people who have played the game that everything you do or fail to do has a consequence and that the story keeps moving forward regardless of how things play out.

There's something fascinating about a game where I'm saving a down on her luck woman who is forced to prostitute herself just to make ends meet from an abusive client that is so much more interesting than your typical save a princess or fight off alien monster sort of thing you see in other games. The fact that the guy I was controlling was an old, overweight guy with an asthma problem rather than your standard issue, good looking, young white dude, preferably with muscles or an over stylized design, that is so interesting. Heavy Rain just feels more mature and more true to life than a lot of other console games out there
Last edited by Gamerforlife on Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38006
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: What are you playing?

by noiseredux Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:33 pm

yeah it sounds like any fan of Indigo Prophecy would love it. Have you played that?
Image
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: What are you playing?

by Gamerforlife Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:39 pm

noiseredux wrote:yeah it sounds like any fan of Indigo Prophecy would love it. Have you played that?


I've heard of it, but it was a game I avoided because people seemed to have such vastly different reactions to it. However, if I continue to enjoy playing Heavy Rain than Indigo Prophecy might be a game I'll want to hunt down
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38006
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: What are you playing?

by noiseredux Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:40 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:
noiseredux wrote:yeah it sounds like any fan of Indigo Prophecy would love it. Have you played that?


I've heard of it, but it was a game I avoided because people seemed to have such vastly different reactions to it. However, if I continue to enjoy playing Heavy Rain than Indigo Prophecy might be a game I'll want to hunt down


yup. It sounds to me like you'd really get into it if you continue to enjoy HR.
Image
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: What are you playing?

by Gamerforlife Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:25 pm

noiseredux wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:
noiseredux wrote:yeah it sounds like any fan of Indigo Prophecy would love it. Have you played that?


I've heard of it, but it was a game I avoided because people seemed to have such vastly different reactions to it. However, if I continue to enjoy playing Heavy Rain than Indigo Prophecy might be a game I'll want to hunt down


yup. It sounds to me like you'd really get into it if you continue to enjoy HR.


Interesting thing about this game, as I started playing again about half an hour ago. It really puts me on edge. Things happen, the game will either make you do a quick time event, or make you have your character make a decision or sometimes both and you know if you mess up, things will get really bad. Sometimes the game doesn't give you much time to react either.

You can't copy save files and the game doesn't offer a reload last checkpoint option. Actually, I read somewhere that there is a way to back up saves beyond doing it on the PS 3 itself(thank god), but my point is that this game makes me feel like I've got one shot at a tense situation and I better not eff up. It's a very unnerving experience at times and gets my heart pumping, like a survival horror game even though that's not what it is at all.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38006
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: What are you playing?

by noiseredux Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:28 pm

I think that's a big point of the game -- realism. You can't undo what you've done. If somebody dies BECAUSE OF YOU then you're going to feel like shit. And since "it's not a game" you can't just go back and fix it.
Image
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: What are you playing?

by Gamerforlife Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:40 pm

noiseredux wrote:I think that's a big point of the game -- realism. You can't undo what you've done. If somebody dies BECAUSE OF YOU then you're going to feel like shit. And since "it's not a game" you can't just go back and fix it.


Yeah, it's kind of fascinating, but like anything new also a bit uncomfortable. This game is taking me out of my comfort zone....in a good way. God, those quick time events are intense! I hate QTEs, but when a game uses them in a smart way I'll stick around for the ride
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 20987
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: What are you playing?

by Ack Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:48 pm

I'm playing Viewtiful Joy...and it is kicking my ass. God this game is cruel.
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38006
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: What are you playing?

by noiseredux Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:50 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:
noiseredux wrote:I think that's a big point of the game -- realism. You can't undo what you've done. If somebody dies BECAUSE OF YOU then you're going to feel like shit. And since "it's not a game" you can't just go back and fix it.


Yeah, it's kind of fascinating, but like anything new also a bit uncomfortable. This game is taking me out of my comfort zone....in a good way. God, those quick time events are intense! I hate QTEs, but when a game uses them in a smart way I'll stick around for the ride


yeah. I really enjoy games that offer an experience that's so unique. Like when I played through SOTC, and felt really bad about certain Colossi for example. Anyway, Indigo is just like that. You're kind of doing terrible things and not sure why but your goal is to get away with it. Y'know?
Image
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests