What are you playing?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: What are you playing?

Post by marurun »

Nectaris seriously needs a Switch revival.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Nectaris is so hardcore that the only fitting revival would be on something like the Sharp X68000.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Nectaris is so hardcore that the only fitting revival would be on something like the Sharp X68000.

I didn't know this series existed, though I'm pretty sure I heard the 'Military Madness' subtitle in passing before.

I looked the games up, and I couldn't even find a Wikipedia page for individual entries except for one of the most recent digital releases (always a sign of a very niche game) but there is a generic series page that lists all (some?) of the entries.

I looked up the PS1 version on YouTube and it looks like an amazing TBS title, and I'm now sad I didn't hear of these games before...

I added the PS1 version in my Wanted List, and it seems it only got a US release in the west, but I'm not sure which release is the 'best' version, there's very little information on the series online it seems.

Anyway, the PS1 game is pretty cheap, and I was looking for at least one TBS title for this year, guess I found it, so thanks for bringing the series to my attention.

EDIT: Looks like there's a Wikipedia entry for the PC Engine release, which is where the PS1 release and most of the others are based on, but I didn't see it like a blind bat.

Of course as a PS1 aficionado, I'm still going for that version, but I'd like to find some more info on the Windows 95 release at least.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I beat the fish game. The next epic tale begins to unfold...
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Still plugging away at Hollow Knight. This game world is massive. I've already put in more time than my first playthrough of Super Metroid and only two hours shy of my first Symphony of the night run. I feel like I've only seen maybe half of the world. I'm loving this.

Also new Dead Cells content coming to consoles soon, looking forward to that.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Arenegeth wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Nectaris is so hardcore that the only fitting revival would be on something like the Sharp X68000.

I didn't know this series existed, though I'm pretty sure I heard the 'Military Madness' subtitle in passing before.

I looked the games up, and I couldn't even find a Wikipedia page for individual entries except for one of the most recent digital releases (always a sign of a very niche game) but there is a generic series page that lists all (some?) of the entries.

I looked up the PS1 version on YouTube and it looks like an amazing TBS title, and I'm now sad I didn't hear of these games before...

I added the PS1 version in my Wanted List, and it seems it only got a US release in the west, but I'm not sure which release is the 'best' version, there's very little information on the series online it seems.

Anyway, the PS1 game is pretty cheap, and I was looking for at least one TBS title for this year, guess I found it, so thanks for bringing the series to my attention.

EDIT: Looks like there's a Wikipedia entry for the PC Engine release, which is where the PS1 release and most of the others are based on, but I didn't see it like a blind bat.

Of course as a PS1 aficionado, I'm still going for that version, but I'd like to find some more info on the Windows 95 release at least.

Really awesome game that is super tough. I highly recommend the PS1 version since: (1) it has so much content (including the TG16 game in its entirety); and (2) it can easily be reduced to an .iso file for play on a modded PSP.
marurun

Post by marurun »

How well is the TG-16 version emulated on the PS1? It is a really fantastic game, Military Madness. The JPN-only PCE-CD Neo Nectaris is also Les Awesomes
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

marurun wrote:How well is the TG-16 version emulated on the PS1? It is a really fantastic game, Military Madness. The JPN-only PCE-CD Neo Nectaris is also Les Awesomes

I wouldn’t say it’s emulated so much as ported. The PS1 version adds 3D battle animations (which you’ll likely turn off after the first or second battle), but you can replace them with sprite-based battle animations from the TG16 version (which you’ll likely turn off after the second or third battle). The maps are sprite-based, just like the TG16 version, but the interface has more of a hardcore-PS1-game feel to it. (Hudson and From Software liked the same fonts apparently.)

The PS1 versions biggest draw, IMO, is the content. It has an all new campaign, and once you beat it, you play it in reverse. After that, you unlock all the maps from the TG16 version, and once you beat those, you can play them in reverse too. The “reverse” campaigns are super tough, and if I recall correctly, there’s even more content after you beat those.

Also...looking up the game...there is a Sharp X68000 version already. :lol:
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

Nectaris looks like such a forgotten little franchise, not that TBS are a big deal in general these days, but it should have gotten more attention.

I'm almost tempted to hook my 360 back up and try out the XBLA version, but I plan to do that some time in the not too distant future anyway, so I may as well hold off until then, though I hope I don't forget about it by the time I do hook it up.

And I wish I could get the PS1 version right now, but all gaming expenses are on hold, since I'll be taking a very important business trip next month (unless something happens again) and also forking over $230 on the Mythra (from Xenoblade Chronicles 2) figure, so things are tight.

In other news, I've only been doing my daily Gym runs in Pokemon Let's go Pikachu lately and mucking about in Go in the middle of the night like a digitally obsessed ghoul, waiting for the Meltan Mystery Box to activate, which should be by midnight tonight. I thought buddying up with Meltan for candies to evolve him might be enough, but is 20km per candy apparently, I mean if it is per single candy that's crazy, I thought you'd get like 40 at a time, guess we'll see...

Otherwise I may barely have enough time to catch enough Metan's before the event finishes for an evolution, I had hoped to evolve another normal Meltan to go with the Shiny one, but unless I get a big candy payout that's not happening reasonably quick, and I'd rather not keep Go on my phone longer than necessary.

Of course my Shenmue adventure continues on, I finally managed to move from December 8th (in game date) and ever so closer to the end of Disc 1 (for the third time).

I had to circumvent my own guide and sneak in an extra save scum at the Abe Store raffle, in order to make up for my luck of getting, and keeping, the Dural Gold instead of a Mr. Yukawa figure, but I end up getting Dural Silver instead...

After contemplating it a bit I decided to let it go, and keep trying for the second Mr. Yukawa figure, and literally two attempts later I get it again...

This I kept in an alternate save, but since I hadn't done the Mr. Yukawa event before, and I couldn't write assumptions and things I hadn't experienced myself in the guide, I loaded the earlier save an got the missing Mr. Yukawa figure, went through with December 9th for testing and got the (highly truncated in the western version) event just fine.

Then from the two saves, both at the exact point, one with both Mr. Yukawa's and one with both Durals, I decided to leave the Dural Silver behind and move on with the other save, this is the first time, where my technically good luck (given the in-game chances of getting either of these figures) kinda worked against me, but is all behind me now as I move on to the big training break at the end of the Disc, though I think I won't be able to avoid Christmas day hitting during the Warehouse skipping days at this point, but I can always take another break, right before that section to avoid it if necessary.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

Nobody posted anything since I last did? Oh well, here goes the double post then I suppose...

Pokémon Go
Yes, my adventure to fully embarrass myself and lose any street cred I amassed through the years still continues.

Their Meltan 'event' finished on the 4th of March but apparently that was just for the Shiny Meltan, which I already got three of. The Mystery box is still around and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere, which means I will be getting candies in reasonable amounts that way, to finally evolve me a Melmetal.

Because otherwise, 20km for a single candy is ridiculous, getting any Rare Candies is also pretty hard for me since I don't go around in the day to participate in Raids, and for some reason, Raids never happen during the 3:00-5:00 am window when I prowl the streets with my cutie-wootie puppy. Not that I would like to run into any other players and beating Raids solo would probably be hard.

At the same time, I'm not sure why I bother catching Poke's and visiting Pokestop's and Gyms, only real benefit I get towards Meltan is the walking, and I don't even need to touch my phone for that, sure I will be needing Pokeballs to catch the Meltan's when I get to use the Mystery Box, but I already got over 100 they should last quite a bit.

I suppose there's the benefit of getting the Eevee version exclusives, got Vulpix Meowth and Ekans so far, and I'm hoping for a Pinsir. But to truly complete the Pokedex on the Pikachu version, I still need the legendary birds which I'm not getting unless I have a complete Pokedex because I want the Shinny Charm in order to catch them Shiny so... That sounds like a catch 22 but I was planning to catch and trade the vanilla versions over from the Eevee version, since I don't need two Shiny's of each.

Nah, i think I got caught into the 'game's' Skinner box, the gamer within me cannot ignore a progression/reward mechanic. But as long as I still need Melmetal (going for two now) it doesn't hurt I suppose, well besides the obvious embarrassment of course, especially the looks my dog gives me when I hang around a Pokestop for too long.

Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!
I finally fully candied my Shiny Mewtwo to the true powerhouse it was always meant to be! As usual, it took about three weeks of walking with the ball and about 4 hours of 'playing' with it.

I still do my daily Gym runs, but when it comes to money it started to have diminishing returns. I do get some EXP for Persian and Arbok that I'm leveling since I moved them on from GO so I can take out their Master Trainer and unlock the fight with Red, but if I wanted EXP specifically is better to chain-catch Chansey's rather than doing anything else.

As I've might have mentioned before, I'll be going on a trip soon and that will break up my schedule, so I figure I don't rock the boat too much until then, and stick to the daily runs.

Shenmue
I've been playing every day but I'm still stuck at the end of Disc 1, mostly thanks to the RNG when it comes to save scumming the Slot House and the occasional Raffle Prize.

At the current schedule, I will be starting Disc 2 at the exact same date as I did on my last playthrough, but with a lot more things done, both when it comes to training and collection.

This time, there should be zero reason for me to ever restart, this last run was efficient to the point of obsession. Lets just say, that if I don't manage to get everything done by February 3rd (no reason to think that I can't yet) it is simply impossible to do everything and I guess I would settle for what can be done, is still the most perfect of perfect playthroughs anybody has ever done of the game anyway, at least according to any record I can find.

In fact, that was part of my problem starting out, not much info in coordinating everything, nobody ever seems to have even tried to attempt this before despite the dedicated fanbase, I guess most Shenmue fans are in it for the story rather than gameplay, but still after all these years I thought somebody would have attempted this and documented it.

In that, I also regret not doing a dry run before even starting the attempt, something I plan to rectify when I start the second game, which Dreamcast version I haven't even played before (got it on the Xbox), I mean I'm still rusty on the Forklift Job section of Disc 3 since on my previous playthroughs I didn't make it that far. And the last time I did that section otherwise was back in 2000...

In any case, the guide is already 26 pages long and I'm only at the end of Disc 1 with two more days to write down still. I haven't properly done an introduction and separate sections for categories like Moves, the Slot House etc, yet, and of course that's just the info for the first game, and though I constantly re-write the guide to reword things or make them clearer, the gist of the path you're supposed to take is set down in stone. Whether I end up ever publishing this or not remains to be seen, currently my main focus is to catch up to my old save at the start of Disc 3, and confirm doing everything in time is even 100% possible.