Re: What are you playing?

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Trolling

https://youtu.be/Yavx9yxTrsw?t=51
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

That was a throwback. Excited to see what's next. Maybe I move away from the mic to breathe in? Or brokencyde?
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Trolling

https://youtu.be/Yavx9yxTrsw?t=51

It's not every day I get to post this, but today I do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bMLrA_0O5I
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Time to hit the YouTube-to-mp3 converter.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Busted out the PS2 which I haven't done in years. Fired up Burnout 3, Red Faction, and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 on rotation these past two weeks. I think it's been over 16 years since I last played Need for Speed. Good times.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Talk me down...

I started up Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS1) last night. I’m not very far, but so far, it’s kind of “meh.” It doubles down on the things I don’t like about the classic RE games (i.e., running around zombies), and doesn’t have much of the things I do (i.e., shooting zombies and jump scares). I started playing on “hard” but am considering starting over on “easy” since there is no “normal” difficulty setting. Should I do it? Will I really be missing anything by playing on “easy”?
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I've beaten it on both and had more fun on easy mode. Hard mode was painful the entire way through - and I'd consider myself pretty competent at horror games. I think easy gives you infinite saves and more ammo(?). Resident Evil 3 is the pinnacle of the original games but dang the game wants you to die.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

opa wrote:I've beaten it on both and had more fun on easy mode. Hard mode was painful the entire way through - and I'd consider myself pretty competent at horror games. I think easy gives you infinite saves and more ammo(?). Resident Evil 3 is the pinnacle of the original games but dang the game wants you to die.

I tried it on easy, and it is so much better and so much more fun. I’m definitely playing it this way. Admittedly, they give you way too much equipment at the beginning of the game. I’m not using stuff like the magnum, machine gun, etc. so the game retains some challenge, but having just a few more handgun bullets helps tremendously. I think the game would have been much improved by a “normal” mode that didn’t require me to self-moderate the difficulty, like “easy” mode, and didn’t make me put up with so much BS like “hard” mode (which just was not enjoyable at all).

I think the main problem is that game really wants to be an action game, but just isn’t set up for it at all. Awkward camera angles are great for true survival horror, like RE and RE2, but in such an action-heavy game, they’re infuriating. They might be OK, as they were in DMC, if your character, like Dante, controls well. Jill, however, still handles like a tank, and she just can’t maneuver well enough to dodge enemies effectively. If you can’t dodge, them you have to fight, but “hard” mode really prevents you from doing that either, making the game a slog. In “easy” mode, however, you can fight, and I am now enjoying the game much more.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Started RE5 on the switch this morning, I have played RE5 before and really enjoyed it and I am really enjoying it here as well. When I turned it on I was super excited about motion controls being an option, in this game you can detach the joycons and use the right joycon to aim similar to the wii version of RE4.

Unfortunately, my joycons suffer from joycon drift that I never got fixed so I am just playing with the standard controller, it works fine but I was really looking forward to trying the aiming with the joycon and given the current world situation I don't have any place I can go to just buy a new joycon.

@prfsnl_gamer: In general when I am given choice between easy and hard I choose easy. It is actually one of my biggest gaming pet peeves when easy and hard are the only 2 difficulty levels and you have no idea which one you are supposed to choose for the authentic experience.

I don't remember the original RE3 enough to give you any guidance, other than to tell you to just play the remake if you can, there are 3 difficulty levels and it is a ton of fun.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Any of youse guys played Gunner's Heaven/Rapid Reload? Its a Gunstar Heroes clone on PS1, and it's quite fun.

Spent some time on it last night, and while the first two stages were a breeze, after that it became a lot more challenging. I probably suck too, that's certainly a factor, but there's definitely a steep ramp in difficulty one you hit stage 3. It is all very pattern based, especially the bosses, so once you learn you'll have no problem, but getting to that point...

The japanese version offers infinite continues, so I was able to throw bodies at the wall for a while and get through, but I eventually had to stop at stage 5. Its a lengthy auto scroller with no checkpoints (defeating mini bosses usually serves a checkpoint, and this stage has none) and it became exhausting losing to the boss and having to start the whole level over.

There's six stages total, so I'm near the end, but I'll have to get back to it after a short break.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.