What are you playing?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Xeogred »

That actually came up recently on the Easy Allies FB group and people confirmed it's still going strong, on PS4 at least. I imagine it will always have a niche' but strong fanbase. One warning though, the player base is pretty hardcore... like everyone online is extremely skilled. This has made me a little weary about going back to it haha. I got really good at it myself, but it'll probably be another wall to climb and relearn. I think I prestiged to G4/G5 or something. I'm curious to check out all the new free DLC, maps, mechs, extras etc sometime, maybe this year since I have PSN again. That's another thing to consider, all the game DLC was free. Only cosmetics were premium.

Of the CoD's, I think Advanced Warfare might be the most dead online. It supposedly matches you more locally too, so that doesn't help. I got into some games when I played it two weeks ago, but it took a few search attempts. When I played Ghosts two years ago it seemed fine surprisingly. They've really splintered their own userbase with the annual releases. lol.

I also saw in some post recently that Bad Company 2 on PC is still going strong!
ArtificeSiren

Post by ArtificeSiren »

Im looking for a PC community. See I want a new CoD game but people said WWII is rampant with cheaters. What is a good fps (without the realism) with an active community?
funk_Farmer
8-bit

Post by funk_Farmer »

ArtificeSiren wrote:Im looking for a PC community. See I want a new CoD game but people said WWII is rampant with cheaters. What is a good fps (without the realism) with an active community?

Team Fortress 2 is still going strong. One of the few online fps games I've enjoyed. Played a little CoD on the ps3 but it was just basically to stay in touch with an old room mate. Really never played unless he was on but I've managed to jump right into Team Fortress 2 off and on and always have a decent time.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

ArtificeSiren wrote: What is a good fps (without the realism) with an active community?

Overwatch
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alright well I've put a solid 6 hrs into Railway Empire now and it is frustrating me. At least the campaign is. I'm on the second chapter (of five) and have now actually failed the chapter twice. There's just so much to juggle. Each chapter offers you a list of tasks to complete within an allotted time frame (in-game years).

On my first attempt I had knocked off most of the tasks, and was working on the one that said "deliver 20 shipments of clothing to New York." Seemed easy enough. By that point I had cotton going to Pittsburgh; textiles going from Pittsburgh to Baltimore; and clothing going from Baltimore to New York. But NY wasn't getting the clothing! At first I thought it was the stops between Baltimore and NY... I thought other towns were intercepting the deliveries, but on closer inspection, nope. Baltimore grew too big. They consumed ALL the clothing leaving EMPTY trains going to NY.

On my 2nd attempt I fixed that and got all the clothing to NY first before expanding any further to fulfill other tasks. Everything went swimmingly, although I had to take out some loans early on to just get the stuff to NY right away. I worked my way down the list of tasks, checking off each one. Except the last. The last one was to own 20 shares of stock in another railroad company. Except I'd given the other companies like two hours to expand while I was focusing on these specific tasks. I had also gotten myself into a bunch of debt, so I couldn't afford more than 2 or 3 shares of another company, never mind 20. Ugh.

So yeah, this shit is daunting. I'm pretty sure I'm going to just abandon the campaign and play this thing in sandbox mode instead.
ArtificeSiren

Post by ArtificeSiren »

Alright, thanks guys. Ill probably go with TF because its free and then transition to OW.
marurun

Post by marurun »

There's also Quake Live. It basically preserves the gameplay intensity of Quake 3 in a freemium style model.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ArtificeSiren wrote:Alright, thanks guys. Ill probably go with TF because its free and then transition to OW.

Or Paladins. Paladins is free... well, you can buy characters or unlock them by playing. But paladins is also much closer to Overwatch than TF2. I suggest it for those interested in Overwatch but not sure they're willing to buy it.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

after reading some reviews of Railway Empire it turns out it's not just me. And because Rock Paper Shotgun is smarter than me, they even took the time to notice that the AI is a fricking CHEATER. And I'm not talking about taking some advantages. I'm talking about the AI literally does not have to conform to the rules of the game that you're playing. So like the big one is this: you have to be bothered with the reality that two trains can not occupy the same space at the same time. So you have to make side tracks, and add switches and direction/stop signals. Your trains will have to wait for your other trains to get out of the way. But the AI? They get to just drive their trains through each other like ghosts. So yeah. A strategy game where only one of the three players (YOU) has to be burdened with strategy.

This revelation is a huge ball-drop in what should be a fantastic game. And sadly not my only complaint. The controls took me hours to get comfortable with; the menus and pop-ups are overly complicated. Even though there's a wealth of tutorials and in-game "hints" and vidoes to watch, there's still a lot of systems rather poorly explained. I mean, I'll keep the game around for pure sandbox mode, but as a GAME with a goal... I'm all set. And disappointed.

Here's to hoping that Surviving Mars will scratch my strategy itch proper this year.

On that note I've moved on to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Some may remember that I had started this last year, but soon grew to feel the grip of Open World Fatigue. But right now I'm more in a mood for this one. I got through the Prologue last night. It was just as crazy as I had recalled.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Currently playing Evil within 2 and slogging through goldeneye on N64

Evil within is amazing, I loved the first one and the sequel expands on it and does everything even better, I am on the tail end of it now and I am sad that it is almost over.

Goldeneye is horrific, I never played goldeneye in its prime and I acknowledge that the FPS genre has come so far that there is no going back, but man is this game boring. I am on the last mission and will probably finish it just to finish it, but I have not had a single second of fun with the game yet. It is so amazing how poorly n64 games age compared to the older gens with very few exceptions.

I will start bayonetta 2 when I beat evil within and will also probably start a few indie games that I bought during the last sale(not sure what yet)