What are you playing?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: What are you playing?

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I have always been curious about Gunner’s Heaven, but I’ve never played it. I recall reading about it in EGM waaaaaay back, and you will have to let us know what you think about it.

@pook99. Does RE5 play like RE4? I’ve never played it, but I’ve always suspected it does. If it doesn’t, please disabuse me of that notion. Once I beat RE3, which I will likely do pretty soon (I’m killing it on “easy” mode, and I’m not sure the game is compelling enough to play through more than once ), I will turn to that game or RE:CVX for my next RE fix. I’d like to know what I’ve getting into, though, before I pick something.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I have always been curious about Gunner’s Heaven, but I’ve never played it. I recall reading about it in EGM waaaaaay back, and you will have to let us know what you think about it.

@pook99. Does RE5 play like RE4? I’ve never played it, but I’ve always suspected it does. If it doesn’t, please disabuse me of that notion. Once I beat RE3, which I will likely do pretty soon (I’m killing it on “easy” mode, and I’m not sure the game is compelling enough to play through more than once ), I will turn to that game or RE:CVX for my next RE fix. I’d like to know what I’ve getting into, though, before I pick something.

RE5 does play very similar to RE4. The basic combat is the same but it veers even more heavily into an action horror game vs a survival horror, there are generally more enemies per scene and there are even a few sequences taken straight out of more traditional action games (ex: there is a part where you are manning a machine gun in a truck, and a few other big moments)

there are a few major differences here:

1. the inventory system is totally different, chris can hold a very limited amount of items, there is an item box ala traditional RE titles, but you can only access it in between levels and when you die. It is an interesting mechanic, and I do like it, but it does take a bit of getting used to.

2. there are no shopkeepers here, but like the item boxes, you can access a shop in between levels and anytime you die and continue.

3. you have an AI partner with you at all times, in the plus side she can hold items for you, the downside is she absolutely burns through anything she can. If you give her an herb she will use it almost instantly, give her some ammo and she will start plugging away at whatever is closest to her. Her accuracy is spot on, but if you are into conserving stuff like I am you will have to be careful about what you give her. I usually task her with holding ammo for guns that she doesnt have so she cant waste it.

You also have to worry about keeping her alive, if she does its game over, her AI is decent, and she usually follows pretty close to you, generally if you are running she is right behind you and not getting hit by enemies but once in a while she will get lost in a crowd and killed.

The positives of having her is that if she is nearby and an enemy grabs you she will usually kick them off of you swiftly and you wont lose health, also when you hit no health she can revive you several times before you permanently die. Its not the worst mechanic in the world but I think the game would be better off without her.

4. The game does not pause when you access your inventory, you do have 4 quick assign slots (assigned to the dpad) where you can switch between weapons/healing items quickly, but if you are fighting a boss and trying to access your inventory in real time it can be very difficult, luckily if you do die you can access your item box before you continue and organize your inventory accordingly.

I personally am a huge RE fan (I even love RE6) so my opinion is biased but I would say that if you enjoyed 4 you will like 5, just know that while I feel it is a solid game, it is not as good as 4 which is one of the best games ever made.

I have been on a bit of an RE kick as well lately, in the last month or so I have played re4 on wii and re3make, and now 5. I am also looking into playing code veronica seeing as it is the only mainline RE game I have never played.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I have always been curious about Gunner’s Heaven, but I’ve never played it. I recall reading about it in EGM waaaaaay back, and you will have to let us know what you think about it.

That's cool EGM wrote about it. Makes me wonder if there was ever talk about actually releasing it here.

I honestly feel more than comfortable recommending it now, it's well worth a play. But I'll definitely come talk about it in more detail when I manage to finish it!
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Juan Aguacate
24-bit

Post by Juan Aguacate »

I'm playing Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Resident Evil 3 Remake, and bouncing back and forth between all of the Mario vs Donkey Kong games. Minis on the Move is easily the worst entry in the entire series. I don't know what idiot thought the random, obnoxious, tile dropping gameplay was a good addition to the series because it's pure garbage. These games work when they stick the Lemmings style gameplay. I don't know what the hell Minis on the Move was trying to be but it's definitely not a Mario vs Donkey Kong game and based on what I've played so far I give it a 1 out of 10. Trash. Pure trash.

Between the time limit, the randomness of the tiles you get, and the constant pressure of your tube of tiles filling up, the game is infuriating.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Started playing kid icarus uprising on 3ds, its a fun game but I wish it was on the wii, this game controls incredibly awkwardly on the 3ds but it is the type of game that would have controlled like a dream using a wiimote.

I'll start something new tomorrow, not really sure what will strike my fancy in the morning but a few games I am considering:

Hitman 2 (new hitman 2 not OG)
RE: code veronica
RE6
Rodeao the sky soldier (wii)
Turok (PC version of the N64 game)
Gato Robato
Shantae: 1/2 genie hero
Castlevania Harmony of dissonance
Ori: will of wisps

or I may just play more mario and rabbids
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

pook99 wrote:Gato Robato
Shantae: 1/2 genie hero
Castlevania Harmony of dissonance

I can vouch for these. All of them are really solid, and Gato Roboto is particularly good. I am curious to read your impressions of RE:CV, though, and that game would fit with this month’s Together Retro...

I’m currently playing The Messenger, and it rules so hard. Stupendous ninja gameplay complemented by a goofy, but compelling, story and a great sense of humor. I’m really enjoying it so far.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

@Prsnl_gamer: Gatorabota is on my list because of your review, I installed last night and plan on playing it sometime in the near future.

I did start code veronica X today, have to say it has been so long since I played a proper old school survival horror game, and the conventions of the genre definitely take some getting used to, but I am really enjoying it so far. My only complaint is there are 2 parts early on where you dont have a gun and are surrounded by zombies, it seems literally impossible to pass without taking damage which is a little annoying but I am early in the game and already have a decent stock of healing items so I cant moan to much.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Started a game called escape from bug island on the wii today. I'll hold off saying too much until I finish it but my initial reaction is telling me that this is the best bad game I have ever played.
Haoie
128-bit

Post by Haoie »

The Witcher 3 has been my lockdown to-go title. Over 130 hours and still not done.
If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Picked up Tanzer for the genesis and after a few runs, I'm pretty impressed. Nice run and gun with good graphics, sound, and control. Perfect game for me for when I dont have much time.