What are you playing?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: What are you playing?

Post by pierrot »

For me, the selling point of FFV isn't the story. The part I most enjoy is definitely the job system. That said, I think the story is still one of the more solid in the mainline series, aside from the end, maybe. It's engaging, and it tends to maintain a tone that doesn't make the humor/silliness feel quite as forced, or out of place. It has some memorable moments, but I feel like overall it's a really good utility story for the gameplay.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

pierrot wrote:For me, the selling point of FFV isn't the story. The part I most enjoy is definitely the job system. That said, I think the story is still one of the more solid in the mainline series, aside from the end, maybe. It's engaging, and it tends to maintain a tone that doesn't make the humor/silliness feel quite as forced, or out of place. It has some memorable moments, but I feel like overall it's a really good utility story for the gameplay.

I definitely agree that the story does a very good job of making the story fit a very consistant tone that isn't ever really jarring or breaking out of the experience. And yeah, the story and the gameplay very much sit side-by-side with each other rather than have much to do with one another (at least apart from crystal shards granting you new jobs to get). It's not a groundbreaking story that'll make you rethink your life or anything, but it's a nice story that isn't insulting my intelligence and isn't actively boring or tiresome.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

FFV is my favorite FF. Love the Job system and everything else about the game. Shame we didn't get it in the West on the SNES in '93.

Bought Aliens vs. Predator (2010) and Condemned: Criminal Origins while they were on sale this week. I'm also playing a couple fighting games, continually.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Playing rad rogers on steam, pretty fun 16/32 bit style 2d platformer with some exploration elements and a nice twin stick shooter aiming style.

Also playing darksiders 3, and will probably either start some new indies today or try out some new rom hacks, I'm thinking either a Super Mario World hack or Super Castlevania 4 other castle.

Tried playing kingdom hearts 3 yesterday, played for nearly 40 minues, almost all of it tutorials and cutscenes, got bored, turned it off, will take another crack at it soon ish.

I have a best buy gift card I plan on using for ultimate alliance 3 but wont get out to best buy until tomorrow and wont start it until Sunday
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

pook99 wrote:Tried playing kingdom hearts 3 yesterday, played for nearly 40 minues, almost all of it tutorials and cutscenes, got bored, turned it off, will take another crack at it soon ish.

Have you played any Kingdom Hearts games before, pook, or is this your first foray into the series? I was getting kind of excited about KH3 when they were showing the pre-release promotional materials, but I still don't have a PS4. I go back and forth on whether or not I can actually tolerate the franchise or not. Maybe it's just that I haven't played any of the games since Birth By Sleep on the PSP, and I actually kind of liked it at the time. (Granted, I liked the first and second games at the times they were released, and I hated the first game when I replayed it as the Final Mix version on the PS2 a number of years ago.)
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

@pierot: yes, I did play and beat kingdom hearts 1 and 2 and loved both of them, having said that kingdom hearts 2 came out in 2005 which was a lifetime ago. That was a time before the rise of indies and the return of 2d games and, although I played retro stuff back then, my focus was on modern games. Nowadays, I play so much retro stuff(retro games, retro indies, and rom hacks) I get really impatient with long stories unless they really hook me, this is also one of those games that has an opening credit sequence that you don't want to skip because you are afraid you'll miss something but realize it is all just a bunch of random cut scenes and you wasted several minutes of your life on absolutely nothing.

Of course its way too early to dismiss the game, and video game stories can hook me, I absolutely loved spiderman on PS4 and although it took me a while to get into, adored the new god of war, but my gaming tastes have changed a lot in the last 14 years. I will give it another shot and see how it goes, as of right now I'm not into it, but I think that is more of a product of my gaming tastes reverting and less of a condemnation of the game itself.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I've been playing Joust on the Game Boy. For the original Game Boy I am pleasantly surprised. It provides some quick Joust gameplay but has a few quirks. For one thing it can't seem to handle too much action on the screen. When there's about four or more moving objects there is some noticeable slowdown. However, I take full advantage of this flaw to do some careful maneuvering to maintain my lives. One other problem with this port is the inability to attack the eggs before they fall into lava. I find it incredibly challenging in later levels to attack the enemy knights, avoid the buzzard, and chase the eggs for a higher score. As soon as you hit a knight their egg goes flying and before you know it they plop into the lava- taking your bonus points with them. I think the 2600 version is still my favorite but the GB port is a solid option.

Oddly enough I do not like the original arcade version of Joust. I just find the ports more enjoyable for some reason... Maybe because the arcade makes you hit the flap button twenty times to move two vertical inches.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I've got to agree with you there, I like Joust but I don't enjoy the original cab for the same reason.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I never cared much for Joust. I think Balloon Fight is the way to go.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I like Balloon Fight's side-scrolling mode but couldn't really get into the main arcade portion. Although the varying level design does make it a bit more interesting than Joust's single screen.