What are you playing?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Ack »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I'm playing Octopath Traveler which, according to the internet, is the most sexist game ever made. Personally, I figured that would be something like Onechanbara or Custer's Revenge, but who am I to argue with Tumblr?

Sometimes it's good to know the Internet Hate Machine still functions perfectly.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I'm playing Octopath Traveler which, according to the internet, is the most sexist game ever made.

There was one activist "journalist" that wrote something about it, and a few, lets say, 'ideologically possessed' people that may have parroted those sentiments.

But no one rational among JRPG fans or gaming community at large would ever say that, especially about a pixelated throwback game with barely anything inherently controversial.

Then again 'isms' get thrown at games of any kind these days regardless of rationale and context so is hardly surprising that Octopath Traveler got hit with some mud.

Anyway, I took a break from Shenmue these last few days, to start Pokemon Let's Go, Pikachu!

I had fully maxed out both starter Pikachu and Mew so I had no Pokemon to carry with me on my walks anymore.

As such, for most of the game I've been one-shotting all the things with Pay Day for the money advantage. It wasn't until the late 20's early 30's that some Rock Pokemon would survive one and is not until the early 40's that non Rock or Steel Pokemon could occasionally take more than one to bring down. A Golem I just fought around the Seafoam Islands took four, he holds the record so far.

That made a very easy game even easier, but I think it actually made the game better overall.

You see some of the changes they added, especially when it comes to 'quality of life' adjustments were generally welcome and probably long overdue for the series. But spam catching Pokemon for level-ups was probably the worst addition to the game, and being forced to do it with the inaccurate motion controls only makes matter worse.

For me, because I didn't need to spam grind anything because I already have the two Poke's that are probably capable of taking down the Elite Four together (if I actually use a move other than Pay Day) the game flows better, since I only catch Pokemon I see and don't have in my Pokedex yet, rather than spamming 50 Rattata's back to back for an experience bonus.

I've been sticking to a schedule of two Gym Badges a day so far, and I got the last two left for today, I'll probably sneak in some Elite Four and post game action by the end of the day if I can, but I will be returning to Shenmue starting tomorrow, since completing this game entails a number of things, including trading with the other version of the game, and most importantly an extreme grind of almost every single Pokemon in the game for the Master Trainers they thought it be a good idea to add.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I started God of War 2 HD earlier today. It's immediately a SHARP increase in quality from the first. Tighter controls, better/simplified platforming elements, you mash O instead of R2 to open doors now. It looks great on the PS3's resolution, but this is still one damn pretty PS2 game. The resolution may be up'd, but that polygon count don't lie. It's everything a sequel should be so far.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:The first game I'm playing is wargroove on the switch.

I started playing this one too. I'm in Act 2 of the campaign and loving every bit of it. I'm looking forward to building some maps and playing some multiplayer.

Also still playing a healthy amount of Smash Ultimate. Loving Piranha Plant.

Finally think i'm ready to put Dead Cells down for a while. When they put out the Pimp My Run console patch, then I'll pick it back up for some more runs.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Played some more God of War 2 today. The combat is a lot better than the first game. You can dodge so much more often now and the recovery is so much slower. And giving the big, alternate weapon an inability to dodge actually gives you a reason to not JUST use that. My only issue, if you could call it that, has been the puzzles so far. There have been like 3, or 4, some mandatory puzzles, I've had to look up the solutions for online because the solution to them takes advantage of a mechanic hinted at very poorly or never before introduced. The actual gameplay bits have been good fun so far though.

I've also been playing Tiny Barbarian DX. I'm near the very end of it now, and I'm not really sure I've enjoyed this. I've mostly just been trying to get it done and it's something to do on my Switch while I listen to podcasts :lol: . It brings back a lot of memories of older, hard but flawed platformers on the NES and SNES. A lot of really relentless enemy barrages with limited ways to hit them (ala Ninja Gaiden or Castlevania on NES) as well as some leaps of faith to platforms you couldn't possibly see (like a Super Star Wars or something like that on SNES). Some of the bosses have been great, but a lot of them have also been SERIOUS bullshit, and the same goes for the platforming, which ranges from fluid and fun to absurdly hard pixel-perfect jumps. It captures a good deal of those old games' design, but the horrible pixel-perfect jumps really take the cake on top of an older design that I've never really cared for. It's a very pretty game, but it's just so often an unfun level of difficult that boarders on unfair that I've many times contemplated on just setting it down and giving up. I'm so close to the end though that I figure I may as well push on through this final boss (and escape scene afterwards, probably).
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I've been obsessed with Lightseekers for weeks. My Switch says I've got like 30+ hours on it already. Ugh. It's sidetracked my big list of classics I'd been tackling. I should get back to that soon. Maybe throw in a few shorter things.

I haven't even touched Cosmic Star Heroine yet, which arrived a week or so ago. And I've got Monster Hunter 3 and Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales that just arrived as well.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I'm trying to finish up Let's Go Eevee. I made a big push to get to Fuchsia City in order to import some Pokemon from Pokemon Go and get the Mystery Box for the Meltan event. Being able to import Pokemon ended up being a bit of a disappointment because they are so low level when imported. It would have been more enjoyable if the place where you do the transfers was earlier in the game. I just have the 8th gym left to do now. I'll probably go get Mewtwo after that and call it a day.

I'm still playing some Smash Bros Ultimate here and there with my son. I finished all the Spirit related challenges the other day.

Next I will likely play Resident Evil 3 and Code Veronica X with some Ni No Kuni II while the kids are around.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Just finished Yakuza Kiwami 2. Not sure what I'm going to play next- RE2 is high on the list, but it just depends on what grabs my eye.

I'm also playing New Vegas with a bunch of visual enhancements and patches. Legion run. Love the game, I'm just sad it's the only Fallout game I can into. Maybe the mod bringing Fallout 2 to the New Vegas engine will be completed in a timely matter.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Damm64
Next-Gen

Post by Damm64 »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:Just finished Yakuza Kiwami 2. Not sure what I'm going to play next- RE2 is high on the list, but it just depends on what grabs my eye.

I'm also playing New Vegas with a bunch of visual enhancements and patches. Legion run. Love the game, I'm just sad it's the only Fallout game I can into. Maybe the mod bringing Fallout 2 to the New Vegas engine will be completed in a timely matter.

Definetly if theres only one fallout game to like it has a to be new vegas. Im forcing myself to not grab it on give it another run on the ps3 since i finally found a balance on how i enjoy to play the new spiderman game. I usually want to do all side quests on an area before going to the main quest but that got tiresome very quickly. Now i grab any side thingy quest that is on my way to the main history.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Just beat the train station area in Paper Mario TTYD. Finally starting to get into playing older stuff again because of emulation :D
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread