What are you playing?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RigglesGiggle

Re: What are you playing?

Post by RigglesGiggle »

Right now, I have crash bandicoot n sane trilogy in the playstation 4 and I have call of duty in my Xbox. I'm bouncing back and forth between the both of them, alternating days which I play them. Kind of a Ying and a yang. Go hardcore with call of duty, then tone things down a bit with crash. :P
Mara

Post by Mara »

I've been enjoying PAYDAY2 as of lately. Running around and robbing banks on harder difficulties makes it much more interesting and intense.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Binding of Isaac is a game I'm always happy to revisit, and will likely play to some extend for the rest of my life. Absolutely adore the game. Rebirth is the version I've spent the most time with too, and I've only recently dug more into Afterbirth.

Edit: So, I'm playing an Arkanoid clone called Cyber Block Metal Orange, and I'm stuck. I'm hoping someone familiar with Arkanoid might have a solution (Even better if you've played Metal Orange, but that seems unlikely :lol:)

So, the dark gold tiles are not destructible with the ship's shot or the balls, but the tiles inside of them need to be cleared to pass the stage. There is a non-bounce powerup that lets you hit multiple blocks through, but it still bounces off these.

Any help would be appreciated, this stage is pretty far in the game, and I lose some progress if I turn it off and come back later.

In arkanoid there was a powerup that would have the ball move through and destroy blocks without bouncing off of them. This includes the indestructable blocks so maybe that is the answer? Havent played that title in particular so I do not entirely know
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

I started Mischief Makers on the Nintendo 64 this evening.

I decided to do a jump start on Treasure Month next month. I wanted to dip my toe into it as I will be playing most of it over the weekend.

Mischief Makers is...interesting. The 2D visuals is amazing and the music has some interesting choices. But, the controls are very weird and take some getting used to. It always takes me a while to do exactly what I want to do, especially on difficult jumps. Also, this is a Treasure game and the story is getting in the way. I am amazed at the amount of dialogue in the game.

But, it is unique. In fact, it is one of the most unique games I have played in a while. I'm looking forward to jumping head first into it this weekend, but I have quelled any fears that I might have of the game.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:In arkanoid there was a powerup that would have the ball move through and destroy blocks without bouncing off of them. This includes the indestructable blocks so maybe that is the answer? Havent played that title in particular so I do not entirely know

Thanks Meat Man!

Yeah, that power-up does exist in this game... but it doesn't let the ball move through indestructible blocks here. Might have been an oversight where they thought it would work like Arkanoid, and considering its a PC-98 game, it could have just gone unnoticed.

It is possible to clip through the diagonals up top... but after trying this for about 20 minutes straight, I'd only destroyed one tile. I imagine it'd take hours to actually clear them all. Such a bummer, as this game otherwise is sweet, putting a Gradius powerup system in Arkanoid makes for some good times (Like activating multi-ball when your ball is way up top, just wrecks shit up!).

Ah well.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Yeah, that power-up does exist in this game... but it doesn't let the ball move through indestructible blocks here. Might have been an oversight where they thought it would work like Arkanoid, and considering its a PC-98 game, it could have just gone unnoticed.

Wow, you are way out into the thickets on this one, dun. Were you lead astray by the undressing? (It actually does look pretty interesting.)

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info out there on this game, but I was able to find something helpful here: http://gyusyabu.ddo.jp/MP3/1990/MO1.html. (By the way, it's a great place for streaming retro PC game music. I found out about it when I was looking up info on the Arcus series.) Apparently the GIGABALL power up is what you need. After powering it up twice, the ball will be able to break those normally unbreakable gold blocks. If the ball hits a few enemies this power up goes away, apparently. I hope that helps.

Also, if you were curious, it seems like the heart marks covering the naughty bits can be eliminated (possibly) by hammering the "H button." (lol) I'm not sure if there's a button on the screen that says "H," or if it means the H key on the keyboard, but there you go.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Awesome, I wasn't aware you could power that specific item up multiple times, as the other items don't work that way :oops: appreciate the research, though, should allow me to make it through.

I've been astray in PC-98 land for a while now, so the juicy bits are actually more common than a decently fun game, which is what made me stick with Metal Orange (This is the system that literally has a game called "Sex", along with its sequel "Sex 2").

And, ironically, they must have added those censors in another port, because nothing of the sort is present in the PC-98 version.

Its pretty fun though! The Gradius powerup system works well here, since you get to choose when things happen, rather than grabbing an item as it falls in Arkanoid. Getting the ball up into a good spot and then activating multiball or superball feels damn good.

The juicy bits are super weak, in case anyone is considering playing it just for those. :lol:
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

dunpeal2064 wrote:And, ironically, they must have added those censors in another port, because nothing of the sort is present in the PC-98 version.

Oh! Yep. That page was for the PC-88 version. I wasn't really paying attention. Hopefully the power ups actually work the same way, because that page says there's four power ups for TURBO, for more speed, and a second power up for LAZER that will do five rapid shots instead of the three from the first one.

There's also some chatter down in the comments about how involved Sakimoto Hitoshi was in the music, since he's listed in the credits for sound arrangement.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Yeah, the music is really, really good. And there are actually different themes for each area, which is pretty surprising for an Arkanoid clone. In my research, I even came across an article discussing Breakout, Arkanoid, and Metal Orange in particular, as a look into how genres can be strictly improved without disrupting their core experience.

Certainly an impressive game, especially for one so rarely discussed. Luckily for me, this seems to be the case for a decent amount of PC-98 games. I've only come across a few actually terrible games so far, and I'm not being picky with what I play (Assuming I can play it, not knowing Japanese is quite a hindrance
Reflox

Post by Reflox »

I am going through the Dreamfall series playthrough. Digging in deep into an old games library, you can find some awesome games you've forgotten the story of. I love when it happens, with games, movies, anime. Rewatching with the new perspective. I feel like i am getting something new compared to 8 years ago :>

I hate the scene with the dogs where you have to bait them out from the building uhh, and i don't like water in games no idea why.