Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: What are you playing?

by Gunstar Green Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:25 pm

Took a break from sports games to play my much anticipated Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. I haven't really advanced the story yet so I can't speak much on that but the rest of the game is extremely similar to Wing Commander: Privateer. From the art and world design to the ships and even the sleazy guy who sells them to you. The upgrades and grindy gameplay loop are all lovingly transcribed into a modern game, warts and all. On one hand that's great and more modern gamers can experience what Privateer was all about, on the other hand the fanservice is a bit much in spots. There are some places where it's improved of course, every station and planet is pretty distinct and there's more to do out in the universe than just complete missions.

The biggest and most interesting difference is the controls, or rather, your options for them. The default setting has flight and aiming assist as well as the option for third person mode which makes the game feel a lot more like Freespace. You also start out with more equipment. The final setting is "old-school mode" which plays straight up like Privateer did in the 90's, no third person camera, no assists and you don't even start with the bare essentials for survival. If you want a fun and casual space game then the easier options are great but if you're familiar with old-school space games like Wing Commander or TIE Fighter you'll probably want to play on that setting as it gives you a more challenging experience that mirrors how those games play.

It works great with a controller and that's the way it's intended to be played so so the flight model isn't very realistic, but it wasn't for the game it's emulating either. I've got a new ship now so I'm going to start braving some story missions soon.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:03 pm

pook99 wrote:Just started dead effect on PC, its a pretty fun space zombie shooter, I'm enjoying it so far.

I probably will start electronic super joy 2 at some point soon given that it was just released and its free and I also have this strange urge to play donald duck going quackers on ps1, which I have never played before.

There’s a sequel to Electronic Super Joy?! I love that game, and I exercise to the soundtrack. I am pumped... :D
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:39 pm

Having been inspired by finishing Fire Emblem: Three Houses (that review is coming if I ever get the time or energy), I started playing Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem. I have been quite spoiled the more forgiving newer games because wow, I keep underestimating the enemies in this game.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:58 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
pook99 wrote:Just started dead effect on PC, its a pretty fun space zombie shooter, I'm enjoying it so far.

I probably will start electronic super joy 2 at some point soon given that it was just released and its free and I also have this strange urge to play donald duck going quackers on ps1, which I have never played before.

There’s a sequel to Electronic Super Joy?! I love that game, and I exercise to the soundtrack. I am pumped... :D

yup, and its free, so there is no reason not to play it.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:18 am

I started Pushmo World yesterday after I got it on a deal with a My Nintendo coupon. It's really fun, as Pushmo has always been~. I'm not 100% sure that it doesn't re-use some puzzles from Pushmo 1 (some of them look VERY similar, but it's been a while, and they might just have similar shapes/layouts and not be literally identical), but it's been a really fun thing to play on my American Wii U while I watch Twitch or listen to podcasts :D

I hooked my American Wii U up in the first place to finally get around to playing Paper Mario: Color Splash after owning it for so long (a streamer I was watching mentioned it and I thought I should finally play it when they highly recommended it). Holy crap, this game is VERY good. Like, maybe the best Paper Mario game there has been. The writing has had me absolutely in stitches, and the combat system is a huge improvement on Sticker Star to the point where it doesn't just feel pointless to even engage with it. This is the overhaul that Sticker Star needed, and this game deserves a Switch port SO badly for how damn good it is. I'm hopeful it might get one eventually, as it does have a single-screen play mode, so it'd be a fairly simple port job from a design standpoint (don't need to rework how the player will interface with the game or anything like you'd have to for Pikmin 3, just gotta get what you have working on a Switch).
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:35 am

I started Luigi's Mansion on the 3DS today! It's a beloved game for me on Gamecube, but I'm not the biggest fan of how temperamental Gamecube discs can be to keep, so I decided to pick up the 3DS version while it was on fairly deep sale on Japanese Amazon.

It looks really nice, but still like a 3DS game. This isn't quite the Gamecube version, but the music still sounds very nice~. I'd say the biggest thing that keeps this version an inferior port is the lack of a nice C-stick. I suppose if you had a Circle Pad Pro, this wouldn't be an issue, but the C-nub on the NEW 2DS XL I'm using is as 'meh' to use as it's ever been, and though there IS a gyro feature to aim up and down, it doesn't work brilliantly, or at the very least it's a poor replacement for a genuine C-stick. It's still a quality port, and a way better one than I'd probably expect, and the C-nub is still really useful for turning left and right while using the vacuum to the point where I'd definitely recommend using a Circle Pad Pro or a NEW-model 3DS if you were going to play this.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:44 am

I’m playing:

Hot Shots Golf 2 (PS1) - I started this for sports month, and I’m going to keep chipping away at it.

Wonder Girl: The Dragon’s Trap (iOS) - Awesome port of the best Wonder Boy game. I will likely finish this tonight.

Ninja Gaiden (SMS) - This is a shockingly good Ninja Gaiden game! I’ll probably finish this soon.

Shadowgate (iOS) - I appreciate that someone reimagined the Apple II classic, but it’s kind of a slog. It looks great, but the puzzles are really, really obtuse. I’m playing it with my son, and we have to consult a guide with some frequency. He really likes it, though.

Dr. Mario World (iOS) - This is my current time waster. It’s really, really good. The best Dr. Matio game I’ve ever played. You can also, as far as I can tell, play pretty much indefinitely for free (if you’re good at video games). I enjoyed the game so much, however, that I threw some money at it as a way of saying, “Thank you, Nintendo!” I will probably send a bit more when I finish the game.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii) - I’m 38 hours into this and ready for it to end...my kids are really enjoying it, though.
Ack

by Ack Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:14 am

I'm messing around with several titles right now:

Menzoberranzan - Still going strong in this 2nd Edition Dungeons & Dragons RPG.

Eldritch - It's a first person shooter with a heavy stealth element where I have to sneak through various worlds, trying to find the exit and avoiding traps and monsters from the Cthulhu mythos.

TimeShift - A late 2000s FPS where the guns feel arcadey, and I can bend time to slow things down, stop, or go in reverse as needed. Enemies are a bit spongy, but the game easily passes my shotgun test.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:20 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii) - I’m 38 hours into this and ready for it to end...

:lol:

...Yep.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:18 am

pierrot wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii) - I’m 38 hours into this and ready for it to end...

:lol:

...Yep.

Damn, that game only took me like 30 hours and I was SO ready for it to end like 10 hours before that. Pouring one out for you, friend TwT
Return to General Gaming