Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
opa
16-bit

Re: What are you playing?

by opa Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:47 pm

I've been playing Joust on the Game Boy. For the original Game Boy I am pleasantly surprised. It provides some quick Joust gameplay but has a few quirks. For one thing it can't seem to handle too much action on the screen. When there's about four or more moving objects there is some noticeable slowdown. However, I take full advantage of this flaw to do some careful maneuvering to maintain my lives. One other problem with this port is the inability to attack the eggs before they fall into lava. I find it incredibly challenging in later levels to attack the enemy knights, avoid the buzzard, and chase the eggs for a higher score. As soon as you hit a knight their egg goes flying and before you know it they plop into the lava- taking your bonus points with them. I think the 2600 version is still my favorite but the GB port is a solid option.

Oddly enough I do not like the original arcade version of Joust. I just find the ports more enjoyable for some reason... Maybe because the arcade makes you hit the flap button twenty times to move two vertical inches.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:49 pm

I've got to agree with you there, I like Joust but I don't enjoy the original cab for the same reason.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:09 am

I never cared much for Joust. I think Balloon Fight is the way to go.
opa
16-bit

by opa Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:51 am

I like Balloon Fight's side-scrolling mode but couldn't really get into the main arcade portion. Although the varying level design does make it a bit more interesting than Joust's single screen.
POOPIESkillz
8-bit

by POOPIESkillz Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:14 am

I'm currently playing Dragon Quest Builders on PS4. I have DQB2 but I really want to beat the first one first. I put SO MUCH time into building and not a lot into the story mode's progression itself. I need to resist the urge to build totally awesome structures for now and complete the story. On a side note, I really regret not buying the physical Asian English version for Vita when I had the chance.
I didn't know what to put for my signature, so I got you this box.
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:25 pm

I started Puzzle Quest on the Sony Playstation 2 this evening.

The game is a port from the DS/PSP versions that were released earlier that year. They did a little to upgrade to the console version, but not much. It still feels like it has touch controls and the text is incredibly tiny to read.

However, the game is a very interesting twist. It is basically bejeweled mixed with Magic: The Gathering and Final Fantasy Tactics. I've always loved little Flash games as they are perfect time wasters. Throw in some mana and attack along with battles, experience and gold and you have a recipe for a good little game.

The computer cheats and the game can get repetitive rather quickly, but for what it is, the game is surprisingly well. I quickly got sucked into it and it was time to stop before I knew it.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:29 am

I've been playin Sutte Hakkun for the last week or so. It's a really fun puzzle game that uses its mechanics in really interesting ways. At times the level set-ups use half-widths in such a way that it almost feels like something out of a ROM hack or a Mario Maker-style thing rather than an official product :lol:

I'm 75 levels in out of 100 and just unlocked world 10, so all the levels are now available for me to play. I seriously doubt I'm gonna be able to figure out ALL the puzzles on my own, and will probably end up at least looking up a play strategy or two online if not a couple outright level solutions before I see the credits XP. Either way, it's been a very fun off-game in between RPGs and platformers that I can play on my Wii U VC ^w^
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:29 pm

noiseredux wrote:I never cared much for Joust. I think Balloon Fight is the way to go.

Have you played Balloon Kid??

I always found NES Joust pretty fun. I think it's cool that HAL brought a few old Western arcade titles to the Fami/NES.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:33 pm

In addition to Sutte Hakkun, I've been playing Wario's Woods as a de-stress puzzle game. I got to level 92 last night, although I'll admit I definitely would've game over'd on level 88 if I hadn't been resetting the level with save states to effectively have infinite lives XP . I'm playing the VC Famicom version, and I thought I didn't remember the ability to hop to the top of the stack of stuff you're carrying was a way easier bit to control than simultaneously pressing A and B (which is so sensitive it has mis-read and gotten me killed or nearly killed more than once XP), and I was right! A look at The Cutting Room Floor proves my memory right, and that was a command bound to Up on the D-pad for the NES and SNES ports, so I am actually playing a needlessly harder version. Great XP
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:51 am

Just started dead effect on PC, its a pretty fun space zombie shooter, I'm enjoying it so far.

I probably will start electronic super joy 2 at some point soon given that it was just released and its free and I also have this strange urge to play donald duck going quackers on ps1, which I have never played before.
Return to General Gaming