Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
KillerJuan77
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1432
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:01 am

What are you playing?

by KillerJuan77 Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:17 pm

Well, lets post something about the games we are playing right now (Comments about the difficulty, chapters, story, etc.).

Let me start:

So far I'm liking Resonance Of Fate a lot but man it's hard, you know a game is difficult when you retry the same battle over 7 times :lol: . The combat system is pretty awesome too and even at chapter 2 you can customize your character entirely (You can customize your weapons, clothing, accessories, hair color, etc.). The steampunk environments are pretty cool too.
Image
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: What are you playing?

by Gamerforlife Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:18 pm

There are threads on the forum for games from specific genres we're playing. I kind of like having a general thread though that isn't genre specific. I'm bouncing between Flower, Alice Madness Returns and Outland right. I'm so finicky lately that it's hard for me to stick with one game so I tend to have two or more going at a time now.

Alice is pretty cool so far. It plays like the original but more refined. There's nothing innovative or unconventional about the gameplay, but the twisted Alice in Wonderland concept is enough to keep my interest so I'm a little biased as I love twisted takes on children tales or fairy tales. Plus, I like that the game has lots of collectibles, upgrades, level select and new game plus feature....or so I've been told. These are all things that I like to see in games.

Flower is a cool concept, but a little repetitive. Doesn't bother me though as it seems to be a short game and only cost ten bucks. It's like Okami meets Rez basically. You fly around and restore nature to barren landscapes like Okami. As you make contact with objects in the environment you hear sounds that go with the music like in Rez. It's basically a nature appreciation game as you'll be staring at a lot of green grass and flowers as you play through the game

I've only played Outland's demo so far and I enjoyed it. It's like an old school cinematic platformer(think 2d Prince of Persia)but with a Metroid inspired world and a polarity switching mechanic they borrowed from Ikaruga
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
KillerJuan77
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1432
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:01 am

Re: What are you playing?

by KillerJuan77 Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:22 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:Alice is pretty cool so far. It plays like the original but more refined. There's nothing innovative or unconventional about the gameplay, but the twisted Alice in Wonderland concept is enough to keep my interest so I'm a little biased as I love twisted takes on children tales or fairy tales. Plus, I like that the game has lots of collectibles, upgrades, level select and new game plus feature....or so I've been told. These are all things that I like to see in games.


I've been hearing great stuff about that game, just a question, which version are you playing? I've heard that the PS3 version haves some visual issues.
Image
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 36097
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: What are you playing?

by noiseredux Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:34 pm

I love the look of Alice 2, though reviews have been meh-ish all around. THough I think I'll still pick up the PS3 version since it comes with a download of Alice 1 as well which I had never played either.
AppleQueso wrote:The thing you need to realize is that eventually Noise will do everything, especially all those things he said he'd not do.

Image
User avatar
jay_red
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1731
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:05 am

Re: What are you playing?

by jay_red Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:40 pm

Currently playing OOT on my 3ds, I never finished the original (shame on me i know) so its a pretty fresh experience for me. After that I plan on trying Chrono Trigger (ds version), I have never been able to get into RPG's but really want to, so I am going to give this one a legitimate shot and see where i get.
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
User avatar
KillerJuan77
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1432
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:01 am

Re: What are you playing?

by KillerJuan77 Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:45 pm

More Homefront, the level with SPOILERS:the rednecks is pretty disturbing. Also I leveled up in the MP, now I'm level 7

noiseredux wrote:I love the look of Alice 2, though reviews have been meh-ish all around. THough I think I'll still pick up the PS3 version since it comes with a download of Alice 1 as well which I had never played either.


I'm getting my copy here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ALICE-MADNESS-RETUR ... 4cf7f8b837

But that's the 360 version (It's region free and since I have like 10 XBL accounts I can download the "key" to play American McGee's Alice without any problems), however, the PS3 version seems to be more expensive everywhere and you can already get the PC version for 27 dollars.
Image
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: What are you playing?

by Gamerforlife Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:36 pm

KillerJuan77 wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:Alice is pretty cool so far. It plays like the original but more refined. There's nothing innovative or unconventional about the gameplay, but the twisted Alice in Wonderland concept is enough to keep my interest so I'm a little biased as I love twisted takes on children tales or fairy tales. Plus, I like that the game has lots of collectibles, upgrades, level select and new game plus feature....or so I've been told. These are all things that I like to see in games.


I've been hearing great stuff about that game, just a question, which version are you playing? I've heard that the PS3 version haves some visual issues.


I got the 360 version since Lens of Truth and digital foundry rated it marginally higher. I should point out that my version comes with the Alice 1 download as well

From what I've played of Alice 2, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it. I think the problem is just that it feels dated. It feels like a game that should have been released years ago as I've seen nothing so far to make it really compete with modern games. However, it's well designed, there are hidden items to find, combat is sound and you can upgrade weapons, the graphics are pretty cool and so is the voice acting and music. I may find something to rant about it as I get further into it as I do with so many games, but so far I have no issues with it other than it feeling dated.

The platforming isn't as flashy as modern games like Uncharted, Tomb Raider, etc. It's more like pre-Prince of Persia Sands of Time era platforming. The combat isn't more complicated than knowing when to dodge and when to shoot back or use a melee combo. The gameplay mechanics aren't bad at all, they just don't have as many bells and whistles as modern games. Alice 2 feels kind of retro. This could have been a PS 2 game though it might not have looked quite as pretty. I can't help but wonder if they realized that the game was behind the times and threw in the first Alice game to sweeten the deal

One thing I like with the game is that you have a glide and a TRIPLE jump. That really cuts down on platform jumping frustration.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
Onikage
16-bit
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: What are you playing?

by Onikage Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:11 pm

I'm playing Tenchu : Stealth Assassins which I bought last week. This is a great game, the A.I of the enemies is better than it was in the second game, and the soundtrack is beautiful. My only complaint is that getting the Grandmaster ranking is too easy.
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: What are you playing?

by Gamerforlife Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:18 am

Onikage wrote:I'm playing Tenchu : Stealth Assassins which I bought last week. This is a great game, the A.I of the enemies is better than it was in the second game, and the soundtrack is beautiful. My only complaint is that getting the Grandmaster ranking is too easy.


The difficulty of Grandmastering the second game turned some people off. I loved it. You needed complete finesse and ZERO mistakes in Tenchu 2 if you wanted that Grandmaster rank. I feel it was worth it for the items you got. The blow gun was immensely useful
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
Onikage
16-bit
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: What are you playing?

by Onikage Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:50 am

Gamerforlife wrote:
Onikage wrote:I'm playing Tenchu : Stealth Assassins which I bought last week. This is a great game, the A.I of the enemies is better than it was in the second game, and the soundtrack is beautiful. My only complaint is that getting the Grandmaster ranking is too easy.


The difficulty of Grandmastering the second game turned some people off. I loved it. You needed complete finesse and ZERO mistakes in Tenchu 2 if you wanted that Grandmaster rank. I feel it was worth it for the items you got. The blow gun was immensely useful


There are some missions in the second where you can get seen like 9 times before you lose the grandmaster rank, in the ones that have 20-30 enemies, but overall it was quite challenging. Too bad there are so many things that bring down the quality of the game, my main complaint being the absence of background music, and the dumbed down A.I. The enemies can't see as far away even on hard mode, and they have no peripheral vision.
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests