Retro Gamers Age

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sideroller
128-bit

Re: Retro Gamers Age

Post by Sideroller »

brunoafh wrote:I'm 23. I just stuck with retro games because everything was becoming noticeably shitty. Not much else to it than that, I guess.

This as well.

I just don't feel like spending the money on a brand new $300+ system plus games. I'd probably go broke.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I'm 30, so a lot of retro gaming is just going back/continuing to play games from earlier points in my life.
arnold_the_bartender
64-bit

Post by arnold_the_bartender »

When did I get into retro games? I was exposed at an early age. I started off playing SMB and Duck Hunt (separate carts) on my cousin's NES back before I was in Kindergarten (maybe 3-4 years old) but I was sold to video games forever when I got a Sega Genesis (Sonic 2 System pack-in) in '94. It's Sonic 2's fault. That, and Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario World when my cousin graduated from NES to SNES. Also, my Uncle's NES in the UK with SMB, Battletoads, Off Road, and Marble Madness. Games from the past have more of an appeal to me and I like arcade quality games as well. I'm dying to get an AES as it's been the next area of focus in my collection.

I just have no interest in the current state of the gaming industry, save for a very few titles that may get my attention, like Super Meat Boy. I do, however, try to give newer games a try. I don't instantly shut them out so I try to stay open to them. They jus't don't hold my interest as much as retro games. I'm only 21 but feel like an old timer around kids in my family who play Black Ops and other FPS games all day. Speaking of which, the market seems over-saturated with FPS games. If I had a choice between the hottest new game of today and the hottest game of yesterday, I'd choose the latter.
What a maneuver!

My j00tube channel: http://www.youtube.com/arnoldthebartender
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

hashiriya1 wrote:
BoringSupreez wrote:All the info in that thread is 2 years out of date.

Just add two years to everybody's age! :idea:

:D Now there's a concept!
Balasubbie
128-bit

Post by Balasubbie »

The reputation for nostalgia in retro circles has never sat well with me. Personally, it's of little relevance. The vast majority of my 'retro'(I'm not even sure about that, it just marginalizes good games sometimes) loves were titles I'd had no experience with until
21. On the subject of which, I'm 22.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Balasubbie wrote:The reputation for nostalgia in retro circles has never sat well with me. Personally, it's of little relevance. The vast majority of my 'retro'(I'm not even sure about that, it just marginalizes good games sometimes) loves were titles I'd had no experience with until
21. On the subject of which, I'm 22.

Nostalgia is largely unavoidable though. Take good memories, add time, and there you are.

If something is truly a good game, then it only adds to the experience.

I'd agree, playing things only for that reason could cheapen them. So could playing them purely because they're not current gen. I see it more as playing good games regardless of the era. If I play something from the 90s, regardless of whether or not I actually owned it or played it back then, it reminds me of the time. I can't help that. Though it doesn't necessarily make games good - I can remember when FMV games were all the rage, but I still laugh at how terrible most of them are now.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

21 here, I simply never saw age as a reason to not play a game. I got an NES and SNES around the same time as a kid and played them both about equally. Got an n64, still played my SNES and NES as well as my N64, got a PS1, then a Gamecube, Dreamcast, etc, all the same thing. I've just never been 'ageist' when it comes to my gaming.
MidnightRider
32-bit

Post by MidnightRider »

Well, there's the A/, just missing the S/L :P

30. It's not the nostalgia for me. I hate sounding old before my time, but a lot of my tastes in entertainment seem to pretty much end around '96.

In gaming I just got sick of, or outgrew, or whatever, the whole lengthy, story telling/exploration thing. Something that seemed to transition from a select few genres in 2D to a good 90% of 3D. Recently I tried looking for the more arcade/retro styled games in 3D, but what I found is that the constant need of saving/developers trying to pad out replay value ruins those games for me. Using fighting/wrestling as an example of what I mean, I'm not fond of the whole unlocking half or more of the roster thing. Especially when it starts to feel like your putting work into doing so, and one corruption or whatever happens with the save file completely erases that.

I just find that what I like in gaming seems to occur in the 2D classics.
Xelyx
32-bit

Post by Xelyx »

I'll be 24 next month. It's never really been about nostalgia for me. I play both old and new games. If a game looks fun, I'll play it.
alexjames01
24-bit

Post by alexjames01 »

27 here. Seems there are more "youngin's" here than i thought.