Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Snickerd00dle's Summer Game Challenge 2011

by dsheinem Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:57 pm

noiseredux wrote:
jfe2 wrote:The bad ending is lame! Go for a normal ending, its totally worth it in the end. The game really picks up where you are at.

that's not my style though. I'm not into the whole "bad ending vs good ending thing." And I hate the whole Achievements thing. I feel like it's maybe a good idea to mark it as "beaten FOR NOW" and move on to other games, and then continue with this one after those.

Really, you should not do this. The point of the thread is to get a fair impression of the games, and tbh the most interesting stuff happened in hours 12-17 or so. It's not a sidequest. Just because this game gives you more than a black screen when you die in that battle doesn't mean that you got an ending. This has nothing to do with "achievements".

Let me put it this way: did you get credits? I thought that was the gold standard...

Also, what cut scenes?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:02 pm

dsheinem wrote:Really, you should not do this. The point of the thread is to get a fair impression of the games, and tbh the most interesting stuff happened in hours 12-17 or so. It's not a sidequest. Just because this game gives you more than a black screen when you die in that battle doesn't mean that you got an ending. This has nothing to do with "achievements".

Let me put it this way: did you get credits? I thought that was the gold standard...

you care too much, D. That's why I like you. Like I said though, I feel like I'm not done with it. Just bumping it to the end of the queue now. Giving the other games some attention. I plan to come back and experience more before the Summer's out.

Also, what cut scenes?

did you play the PS1 version? There's anime cut scenes. They suck. They look like DBZ. There was one when I met the cave girl for instance. There was several others. I hated them -- which is saying something, cuz I generally love anime cut scenes in games. I even love the MMX4 ones, which most people think are cheesy shit.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:07 pm

noiseredux wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Really, you should not do this. The point of the thread is to get a fair impression of the games, and tbh the most interesting stuff happened in hours 12-17 or so. It's not a sidequest. Just because this game gives you more than a black screen when you die in that battle doesn't mean that you got an ending. This has nothing to do with "achievements".

you care too much, D. That's why I like you. Like I said though, I feel like I'm not done with it. Just bumping it to the end of the queue now. Giving the other games some attention. I plan to come back and experience more before the Summer's out.

Also, what cut scenes?

did you play the PS1 version? There's anime cut scenes. They suck. They look like DBZ. There was one when I met the cave girl for instance. There was several others. I hated them -- which is saying something, cuz I generally love anime cut scenes in games. I even love the MMX4 ones, which most people think are cheesy shit.

Well when I saw you put it on your games beaten list I figured you considered it beaten...so you don't? Another way to think about it: when you beat the game you get a credits screen and an option for a new game +. You don't get that with the bad "ending".

And nope, I am playing an SNES cart. I could see how anime cut scenes would put a damper on the charm.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:37 pm

Yeah you're not making a lot of sense here noise... lol.

Good ending? More like REAL ending. Go for it guys.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:45 pm

Ok I think I'll jump on board with this again this summer. I'm a little late and with with a new baby on the way, my list will be short and more of a wish list than a "will for sure play" list:

Chrono Trigger (started playing it on VC when it was released in the US - just escaped the jail)
Rayman (PS1 or GBA)
Batman Arkham Asylum (PC)
Drill Dozer (GBA)
Metroid Other M (Wii)
Sonic Colors (Wii)
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:10 am

So a quick peek at some websites suggest I need things called gold studs and prism dresses to get very far against the end boss(es) of CT. I have no idea what these are or what I have to do to get them... :(

I do know that an opening attack that wipes out 1000+ HP per party member is no good when your party members are all closer to 800 HP...
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:04 am

That sounds like bull to me (you can't even go over 999 for HP I'm pretty sure). I don't think there's anything that extreme to worry about.

If there's any chain reaction of side quests you'll want to do it's the one for the Rainbow sword, Chrono will pretty much get a critical hit every attack and it's insane.
Flake

by Flake Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:39 am

dsheinem wrote:So a quick peek at some websites suggest I need things called gold studs and prism dresses to get very far against the end boss(es) of CT. I have no idea what these are or what I have to do to get them... :(

I do know that an opening attack that wipes out 1000+ HP per party member is no good when your party members are all closer to 800 HP...

Keep following the advice of the man at the end of time when he's suggesting that you help your friends. By the time you finish all those subquests, you're ready for anything.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:53 am

Flake wrote:
dsheinem wrote:So a quick peek at some websites suggest I need things called gold studs and prism dresses to get very far against the end boss(es) of CT. I have no idea what these are or what I have to do to get them... :(

Keep following the advice of the man at the end of time when he's suggesting that you help your friends. By the time you finish all those subquests, you're ready for anything.

I have done a few of them but tbh I don't know that I want to do each and every one and finish every damn thing in the game or explore every nook and cranny. That's just not my style when I play an RPG. I typically do about half of the sidequests in most games in the genre...

I guess the trick is that I need better armor and not a lot more HP since that seems to top out at 999. My question is - if the HP tops out at 999 and I am only at level 42 and have 800HP or so, do I still get better stats with subsequent levels? At what point is grinding offering diminishing returns?
Flake

by Flake Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:03 am

dsheinem wrote:
Flake wrote:

I have done a few of them but tbh I don't know that I want to do each and every one and finish every damn thing in the game or explore every nook and cranny. That's just not my style when I play an RPG. I typically do about half of the sidequests in most games in the genre...

I guess the trick is that I need better armor and not a lot more HP since that seems to top out at 999. My question is - if the HP tops out at 999 and I am only at level 42 and have 800HP or so, do I still get better stats with subsequent levels? At what point is grinding offering diminishing returns?

But they're not really side quests. They are part of the story - essentially, Chrono and friends are helping to undo the damage that Lavos very existence has done to the world - with the added benefit of getting the best armor and weapons as you go along. It's more like a non-linear end game, something rare for an SNES era RPG.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
Return to General Gaming