Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Snickerd00dle's Summer Game Challenge 2011

by Xeogred Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:25 pm

@dsheinem: That's also an excellent area to level up in if needed, if I remember right.

I've decided on two games for my challenge so far:

Otogi (Xbox)
Otogi 2 (Xbox)

First game is very random in terms of difficulty. Some levels are pathetically easy and suddenly some are just damn hard. Not sure how I like the timed-gotta-kill-thing.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:43 pm

so Mr. Driller has 2 Arcade Modes: Beginner & Expert. I beat Beginner this morning. Should I consider the game beat?
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:47 pm

noiseredux wrote:so Mr. Driller has 2 Arcade Modes: Beginner & Expert. I beat Beginner this morning. Should I consider the game beat?
Well, did you see the credits roll? If so, then I would say you beat it. If not, then just keep playing.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:50 pm

lisalover1 wrote:
noiseredux wrote:so Mr. Driller has 2 Arcade Modes: Beginner & Expert. I beat Beginner this morning. Should I consider the game beat?
Well, did you see the credits roll? If so, then I would say you beat it. If not, then just keep playing.

oh yeah, I got a CONGRATS ending and all. That's generally my cue to say I beat a game. I'm not a 100%-er or anything. :lol:
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:54 pm

Xeogred wrote:@dsheinem: That's also an excellent area to level up in if needed, if I remember right.

Good to know, as I may still need to level up to take care of the final boss. What would be a good level to take him on, based on everyone's past experiences?
Flake

by Flake Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:04 pm

dsheinem wrote:
Xeogred wrote:@dsheinem: That's also an excellent area to level up in if needed, if I remember right.

Good to know, as I may still need to level up to take care of the final boss. What would be a good level to take him on, based on everyone's past experiences?

I've taken the final boss out easily with a party in the low 40's.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:14 pm

http://www.rfgeneration.com/blogs/noise ... r-1765.php

So the first of my Summer Gaming Challenge titles can now be ceremonially crossed off the list. This morning I beat Mr. Driller. Now disclaimer: when I say "beat," I mean I got to the end credits. I actually beat the Arcade Mode on Beginner. In this case I feel I can consider the game beat because well, it's a puzzle game. And the Arcade Mode on Expert is the same exact thing except you need to get through double the levels of Beginner. I'm sure if I stuck with it long enough I could do that no problem. In truth, I played Mr. Driller for the first time this morning. And a couple hours later it was beaten. The other reason I really don't feel I need to attack Expert for this challenge is because really my goal is to get through these games to see an ending and feel that I've experienced them. In this case, I feel that playing through the Beginner Arcade Mode was enough to know I've experienced the game.

So what did I think of it? Well, I thought it was pretty great honestly. I'm a fan of puzzle games to begin with, and this one hit the spot. It had a really good blend of strategy, where you have to kind of try to be patient and plan your moves mixed with urgency, because if you hang around too long you'll run out of air (basically a time limit that can be extended by finding Air Items throughout the levels). Visually, I thought the game looked fantastic. The bright candy-colored levels and cutesy design of Mr. Driller himself was really a great visual style for a game like this. Considered a spiritual sequel to Dig-Dug, I'd say I far prefer Mr. Driller to be totally up-front.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:58 pm

noiseredux wrote:
dsheinem wrote:
Do you have haste yet?

Hmm I think I do -- that slows the enemy down right?

I did NOT have Haste, but I just beat that battle. It wasn't easy for me for some reason, but I did it.
SwooshBear
Next-Gen

by SwooshBear Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:18 pm

Thinking of starting Resident Evil Directors Cut soon. Splinter Cell is getting a bit tricky, I'm at the 4th or 5th level in the CIA headquarters.
Incognito D wrote:Mere months after buying my original GBA, Nintendo trolled me hard by releasing the SP.

Check me out on twitter: SwooshBear742
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:32 pm

I just wanna say that as much as I love Chrono Trigger, there's a few things I dislike. Believe it or not the load times on the PS1 version don't even bother me. But a few visual things do.

I didn't like the future. The whole factory thing, I wasn't into it visually at all. I guess maybe my mind was comparing it to Phantasy Star, which had a much more appealing style to it.

I hate the cut scenes. I think they add nothing, since usually they're acting out what the sprites then act out. And I hate the way they look. They remind me of Dragon Ball Z, of which I am not a fan.

I do not like this cave girl. She is so so so horribly written, which sucks as the rest of the game is so well written.

At any rate, minor complaints so far considering everything else is working for me. PS, Frog rules.
Return to General Gaming