Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Snickerd00dle's Summer Game Challenge 2011

by noiseredux Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:19 pm

OK, that's it. I obviously need to find the E tanks in MMX4. If I had them, I would have beat this game a fucking week ago.
Flake

by Flake Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:37 pm

noiseredux wrote:OK, that's it. I obviously need to find the E tanks in MMX4. If I had them, I would have beat this game a fucking week ago.

One is in the second section of the wave rider level - two jumps and speed burst through a cargo container.

The other is in Cyber Peacock's level. You need to get S rank in one of the three sections of the first part of the game to access subspace and collect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq1F8qztpSk
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
Crabmaster2000
128-bit

by Crabmaster2000 Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:49 am

I played more FFXII tonight. Around 13 hours in now. Got stuck in a dungeon and thought that an optional boss was necessary for me to move forward so I spent over an hour levelling and getting new equipment in order to defeat him. Finally beat him and was treated to a nice new sword instead of furthering my progress. Went back in and saw the really obvious spot I missed and was able to move forward. I'm about 6 levels and a lot of cash beyond where I probably should be for this part of the game now. I literally beat the dungeons real boss in about 10 seconds (not including the casting time for my mist moves, which I finally figured out) and he only hit me once. So after 2 and a half hours of playing I really didnt progress much. Should be smooth sailing from now on though!!
Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/2000Crabmaster?feature=mhee

250 NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Flake

by Flake Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:06 pm

Marathoning Tales of Symphonia today. Making some real progress, too.

I am very keen on some of the design choices the developers made, especially in regard to the battle system. It's almost as if the combat in the game continues to evolve since the characters all have multiple tiers of unlocking skills and abilities, many of which interlock with others for massive combos.

The combat system feels almost akin to Star Ocean: The Second Story to me - and that is a good thing indeed.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:13 pm

Flake wrote:Marathoning Tales of Symphonia today. Making some real progress, too.

I am very keen on some of the design choices the developers made, especially in regard to the battle system. It's almost as if the combat in the game continues to evolve since the characters all have multiple tiers of unlocking skills and abilities, many of which interlock with others for massive combos.

The combat system feels almost akin to Star Ocean: The Second Story to me - and that is a good thing indeed.

I would argue that this is intentional, especially due to the Unison Attack system essentially being designed for this purpose. If you look on YouTube, you can find videos of some players who have been able to exploit special attacks to achieve some truly epic and (literally) game-breaking combos.

Interesting observation on your part about Tales and Star Ocean. Funny story; one could argue that the Tales series and the Star Ocean series are from the same studio. Back in the mid-16-bit era, a company called Wolfteam [who made Sega CD games such as Time Gal and Sol-Feace] wanted to make an Action RPG called Phantasia. All the other big game companies of the time turned down their requests for a publisher [they barely had enough resources to make the game, let alone publish it]. As a last resort, Wolfteam turned to Namco, who eventually accepted their offer. However, Namco got majority control over the development of the game, and made several drastic changes to the game's original concept, most notably being the addition of "Tales of" to the game's title. Wolfteam was so aggravated about these changes that about half of the company's development staff quit, and formed a new company called Tri-Ace. They took the idea for Wolfteam's Phantasia, and pitched it to Enix, who agreed to the terms, and made relatively few changes. The remaining staff of Wolfteam was no longer enough to sustain a whole company, so they eventually just became employees at Namco, and continued work on the game. Star Ocean was eventually released, and except for the story, became the game Phantasia was meant to be. As an interesting side-note to this story, as you may know, Atlus was primarily formed by ex-Namco employees. Another fraction of Wolfteam decided to follow this trend and leave for Atlus, where they were hired for their work with RPGs (i.e Phantasia) and were set to work on the Megami Tensei series, and were assigned to the team that would eventually make the Persona subseries of SMT. So, there you have it. Three of the most influential JRPG series ever were inadvertently created by a single developer. And, in response to your post, that is most likely why the combat in Star Ocean and Tales is so similar.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:25 pm

Ok, I got the E tanks and 6 heart containers.

Once more into the breach, dear friends...
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:30 pm

lisalover1 wrote:Star Ocean / Tales story

Yeah I've heard that one before, epic stuff. lol
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:47 pm

noiseredux wrote:Ok, I got the E tanks and 6 heart containers.

Onward, friend. Go forth and kick ass and chew bubblegum.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:49 pm

CFFJR wrote:

OOHHH so I have to FILL those E Tanks, huh?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:51 pm

noiseredux wrote:
CFFJR wrote:

OOHHH so I have to FILL those E Tanks, huh?

Yup, this is an X game man, haha. Good thing is you keep the e-tanks, but yeah you have to fill them up yourself.
Return to General Gaming