Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Snickerd00dle's Summer Game Challenge 2011

by dsheinem Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:06 am

Crabmaster2000 wrote:More FFXII tonight. Around 10 and a half hours in now. Got stuck on a boss and had to back track and do a bit of grinding. I've been kind of speeding through some parts so it was expected to happen sooner or later. Did a bit of exploring/grinding and was able to go back and kill the boss I was stuck on after learning my first Mist skill. Not to sure exactly what I'm supposed to be doing while performing the Mist move though. I'm sure there is a tutorial in the options that I should probably look up. For some reason I enjoyed the game a bit more today than I did yesterday.

I should go back and check, but I think 10 hours is about as far as I ever made it in this one too. I remember a lot of time wandering around a nicely rendered desert. When I found out that some of the best weapons had to be acquired through very specific chest-finding behavior (which you would NEED to buy a guide to know), I got turned off... :(
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:30 am

Just woke up Odin/Tylon in Phantasy Star. I am just shocked by the game's amazingly-detailed cutscenes. Everything about this game just screams polish.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:36 am

lisalover1 wrote:Just woke up Odin/Tylon in Phantasy Star. I am just shocked by the game's amazingly-detailed cutscenes. Everything about this game just screams polish.

is that the part where you have a nightmare? If so THAT was the moment that I just completely fell in love with Phantasy Star. I was like "HOW is this game SO good???" Just amazing for its time, and still holds up. Brilliant.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:29 am

dsheinem wrote:
alienjesus wrote:
dsheinem wrote:I am trying to figure out what pick-up-and-play game to go after while I keep working on Chrono Trigger. Is anyone else planning on playing one of these and would like to join in?

-Guardian Heroes (SATURN)
-MUSHA (GENESIS)
-Zillion (SMS)
-Gunhed (PCE)

I'd be up for getting stuck into some Blazing Lasers, even if I am playing Banjo and planning on starting FFIX soon.

Cool, I'll plan to give it a go this weekend.

Cool. I always get to the same point in that game and die so it'll be nice to see if I can finally get through. Are there any significant differences between Blazing Lasers and Gunhed besides the name?

Also, I've been playing a fair bit of Guardian Heroes over the last few months, so I hope you enjoy that when you get round to it. Looking forward to opinions on Zillion too, as one of the better master system games I've never tried.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:27 pm

noiseredux wrote:
lisalover1 wrote:Just woke up Odin/Tylon in Phantasy Star. I am just shocked by the game's amazingly-detailed cutscenes. Everything about this game just screams polish.

is that the part where you have a nightmare? If so THAT was the moment that I just completely fell in love with Phantasy Star. I was like "HOW is this game SO good???" Just amazing for its time, and still holds up. Brilliant.

The what now? No, I just used Myau's potion to turn him back from stone in Medusa's Cave. How far in the game were you? I also just got to Motavia, but I have been level/money-grinding on Agol for a while. What do I do after I get the first dungeon key?
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:34 pm

lisalover1 wrote:The what now? No, I just used Myau's potion to turn him back from stone in Medusa's Cave. How far in the game were you? I also just got to Motavia, but I have been level/money-grinding on Agol for a while. What do I do after I get the first dungeon key?

ah, okay. I don't want to ruin anything for you so I'll say no more. Honestly, it was nearly two years since I've played it so I can't really remember the order of things. And to be honest, I'm terrible at names of people/places in games. I'm playing Chrono Trigger right now and can't even tell you the names of any of the towns, haha.

I can tell you that THIS will help you:

http://www.phantasy-star.net/psi/psihint.html

This is a text-only translation of the Official Phantasy Star Walkthrough that was sent out to people who called Sega's old toll-free hintline. All relevant text is a direct quote from the guide. Additions made by this author are in brackets []. Links to each map that is referred to have been added. Use this guide discretely, since a blind, step by step following of the text can detract from the gaming experience.

it's kind of a bullet-point list of places to go and in what order.
Evildeadmanwalking77
128-bit

by Evildeadmanwalking77 Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Cool idea. I'm actually working on mostly hand held games this summer:

I want to get through the entire Zelda series on all Game Boy hand helds and MAYBE N64 & A Link to the Past on SNES but we'll see.

If I have time:
Mega Man series on all hand helds, although I find it to tougher on those systems when compared to NES, SNES, etc so again, we'll see.
I am addicted to video games, especially retro gaming from my era. I have: NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Gameboy, GBA, Wii, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Xbox, and Xbox 360. I have probably over 1,000 games in total for all these systems combined. Yes, I need help and I wouldn't have it any other way! This is my passion and hey my wife still loves me!!
Crabmaster2000
128-bit

by Crabmaster2000 Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:55 pm

dsheinem wrote:
Crabmaster2000 wrote:More FFXII tonight. Around 10 and a half hours in now. Got stuck on a boss and had to back track and do a bit of grinding. I've been kind of speeding through some parts so it was expected to happen sooner or later. Did a bit of exploring/grinding and was able to go back and kill the boss I was stuck on after learning my first Mist skill. Not to sure exactly what I'm supposed to be doing while performing the Mist move though. I'm sure there is a tutorial in the options that I should probably look up. For some reason I enjoyed the game a bit more today than I did yesterday.

I should go back and check, but I think 10 hours is about as far as I ever made it in this one too. I remember a lot of time wandering around a nicely rendered desert. When I found out that some of the best weapons had to be acquired through very specific chest-finding behavior (which you would NEED to buy a guide to know), I got turned off... :(

Thats the spot! I got stuck on the boss at the end of the desert and spent a little over an hour wandering the desert levelling up. Got my enemy chain to the high 50s at one point also so I should have a ton of goodies to sell once I get to the next merchant. I'm ok missing out on the best weapons. I have no intention of spending more time on this game than simply finishing the story. As long as I can keep progressing with the store bought junk I can afford and the occasional lucky pick up I'm fine with it.
Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/2000Crabmaster?feature=mhee

250 NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Flake

by Flake Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:32 pm

lisalover1 wrote:
Flake wrote:Got my second wind with Tales of Symphonia tonight. I'll hand it to the writers - the mysteries and conspiracies are presented with such a heavy hand that it's almost painful but the story is still good enough that I am interested despite the somewhat sloppy presentation.

If you find Tales of Symphonia too juvenile in the end, I would recommend Tales of the Abyss instead. It is much more deep and mature of a game, but I personally liked Symphonia better.

No, the story is quite mature. I like the themes they are covering. It's just that they don't seem to want the player recognize those themes for themselves and will sometimes have these clumsy moments in the story telling.

But so far, that's my only issue with the game. Which is amazing for me because I generally don't like JRPG's.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:34 pm

Chrono Trigger - Fighting dinosaurs in a Volcano
Return to General Gaming