Snickerd00dle's Summer Game Challenge 2011

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Flake

Re: Snickerd00dle's Summer Game Challenge 2011

Post by Flake »

noiseredux wrote:I hate the cut scenes. I think they add nothing, since usually they're acting out what the sprites then act out. And I hate the way they look. They remind me of Dragon Ball Z, of which I am not a fan.

Lol, Akira Toriyama was one of the lead producers for Chrono Trigger. Hence the art style.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
NeverGoBak
32-bit

Post by NeverGoBak »

So I beat DKC a few days ago, and I can say I loved it! It instantly ranks up to one of my favorite 16-Bit platformers. The cell shaded visuals were pretty neat throughout the whole thing, but the biggest plus was level design. DK and Diddy both played differently, one being stronger and the other more agile. Later in the game you have to strategically switch between the two, and I loved stages with the flashing lights, ON/OFF barrels controlling enemies, lights and environments, and the neat little secrets in each level. I might have to beat DKC 2 next year. Had some trouble later on though, the final water level before you beat it is insanely hard for me, the piranhas were hellish :x . It was frustrating in a fun way though, and the incredibly easy bosses(save K. Rool, who was rather diffucult) were a good change of pace. Note that I'm playing the title theme is Media player right now, my ears are so happy :D

Overall rating? 10/10, Outstanding!

I heard someone else is playing this game also?

EDIT:

1. Zelda: Link To the Past (SNES)
2. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
3. Pikmin (Wii)
4. Okami (Wii)
5. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
6. Megaman Battle Network 5: Team Colonel (GBA)
7. Sam and Max Hit The Road (PC) >>> Subject to change
8. Perfect Dark (N64)
9. Super Mario Brothers 3(All-Stars Version)
10. Sonic The Hedgehog 2(Mega Collection Versions)
Last edited by NeverGoBak on Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current Consoles: SNES, GBC, Game Cube, Nintendo DSL, Wii, N64, PS2
Past Consoles: PS1, X-BOX, GBA

FAV Franchises/Games: Sonic The Hedgehog, Lock's Quest, Legend of Zelda, Megaman Battle Network, Mysims, Plok(SNES), Kirby, Ristar, Sly Cooper, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Smash Bros, Okami, Tekken, Super Mario, Wario Land, Golden Sun, Streets of Rage and Elite Beat Agents.
SwooshBear
Next-Gen

Post by SwooshBear »

NeverGoBak wrote:So I beat DKC a few days ago

This is the one platformer (besides Super Mario 3) that I could never beat. Congrats dude.

Edit: I believe Swiftzx is playing DKC for the Summer Challenge?
Incognito D wrote:Mere months after buying my original GBA, Nintendo trolled me hard by releasing the SP.

Check me out on twitter: SwooshBear742
NeverGoBak
32-bit

Post by NeverGoBak »

SwooshBear wrote:This is the one platformer (besides Super Mario 3) that I could never beat. Congrats dude.

One cool, yet annoying thing about the K. Rool, I've found is that after you beat the first phase, a false credits roll by. It cites his family and him as holding a total of 5 positions creating the game, which should be an instant give away to anyone who pays attention to credits. But WHO does that :lol: . After they stop rolling he leaps on top of you and kills you unless you're crouching right in front of him :| . The most WTF gaming moment I've had in a long time :lol: .
Current Consoles: SNES, GBC, Game Cube, Nintendo DSL, Wii, N64, PS2
Past Consoles: PS1, X-BOX, GBA

FAV Franchises/Games: Sonic The Hedgehog, Lock's Quest, Legend of Zelda, Megaman Battle Network, Mysims, Plok(SNES), Kirby, Ristar, Sly Cooper, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Smash Bros, Okami, Tekken, Super Mario, Wario Land, Golden Sun, Streets of Rage and Elite Beat Agents.
SwooshBear
Next-Gen

Post by SwooshBear »

NeverGoBak wrote:
SwooshBear wrote:This is the one platformer (besides Super Mario 3) that I could never beat. Congrats dude.

One cool, yet annoying thing about the K. Rool, I've found is that after you beat the first phase, a false credits roll by. It cites his family and him as holding a total of 5 positions creating the game, which should be an instant give away to anyone who pays attention to credits. But WHO does that :lol: . After they stop rolling he leaps on top of you and kills you unless you're crouching right in front of him :| . The most WTF gaming moment I've had in a long time :lol: .

Nice. I've personally never gotten past the snow world. Very fun platformers though, Rare really outdid themselves on DKC.
Incognito D wrote:Mere months after buying my original GBA, Nintendo trolled me hard by releasing the SP.

Check me out on twitter: SwooshBear742
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Just joined the Summer Game Challenge today and already have an update on one of the games I'm playing

Loaded for sega saturn is really cool game.Theres six playable characters each with their own attributes and unique Ultra Bomb move.Loaded also supports co-op which I think is nice touch for the game although not sure on how the framerate handles.You have a top down view which can be zoomed in and out (I prefer out which slows down the framerate some).Basically blast away degenerates while picking up ammo,health and money like a crack starved Pac- Man.So far completed levels 1 and 2,after 10 minutes of playing you'll decide whether or not you like loaded its takes between 15-20 min to finish the first level.

Level two waste no time in introducing new mechanics to the gameplay such as warp pads, and few more enemy variants.After a little bit of back tracking and spreading guts and destroying everything in my path I'm ready for my end level statistcs and heading for level 3.

I also played Beyond Shadowgate for a brief moment after deleting my Cosmic Fantasy 2 saves (Damn Duo no memory what so ever).
But I have succumbed to fail to save syndrome,so ill keep you posted on this one.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

so I technically beat Chrono Trigger. The same way DSH did. I got the bad ending. As soon as I assembled the sword and got Frog back in my party I was like "time to fuck shit up." And then I ended the world.

For now I'm content enough to cross it off my list. But I'm moving it to the end of the queue -- if I get through the remaining 8 games, I'll revisit CT and attempt a better ending. My full thoughts on the game to follow (probably tomorrow).
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

noiseredux wrote:so I technically beat Chrono Trigger. The same way DSH did. I got the bad ending. As soon as I assembled the sword and got Frog back in my party I was like "time to fuck shit up." And then I ended the world.

For now I'm content enough to cross it off my list. But I'm moving it to the end of the queue -- if I get through the remaining 8 games, I'll revisit CT and attempt a better ending. My full thoughts on the game to follow (probably tomorrow).

The bad ending is lame! Go for a normal ending, its totally worth it in the end. The game really picks up where you are at.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:so I technically beat Chrono Trigger. The same way DSH did. I got the bad ending. As soon as I assembled the sword and got Frog back in my party I was like "time to fuck shit up." And then I ended the world.

You mean losing to Lavos? No No No. Don't even think of counting it, yet. There's a major part of the story you haven't seen which I wouldn't consider at all to be a sidequest, especially since you find out what the Chrono Trigger is while doing it. After playing a few more hours and going back to where you just were, I got to what I thought was the final boss battle, only to find that the "next" boss kills my whole party in one hit. I need to figure out what to do next (I'm currently around level 41 or so with HP around 700-800). But no, keep plugging away.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

jfe2 wrote:The bad ending is lame! Go for a normal ending, its totally worth it in the end. The game really picks up where you are at.

that's not my style though. I'm not into the whole "bad ending vs good ending thing." And I hate the whole Achievements thing. I feel like it's maybe a good idea to mark it as "beaten FOR NOW" and move on to other games, and then continue with this one after those.