Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
J T
Next-Gen

Re: Let's explore the world of Japanese doujin games together!

by J T Sun May 29, 2011 1:47 am

MrPopo wrote:Does Recettear not count?

Recettear totally counts! I love that game. Thanks for reminding me to put it here.

For those unfamiliar, Recettear was localized to the US not too long ago and is the first doujin game to be released on Steam. I'm pretty sure it's also the first doujin game to sell over 10,000 copies in the US.

You can buy the game or try the demo by clicking the image below:

Recettear is set in a typical RPG world, but you are not the adventuring hero. Instead, you are the person who runs the item shop. It's an unusual take on the RPG genre. You gain experience points as a merchant, which makes you better at haggling prices with customers. You will also need to go on adventures to get items to sell and that's where the action comes in and the game plays more like an old Zelda game. It's a really unique idea for an RPG, it's insatiably charming, and lots of fun.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
yomomma1
128-bit

by yomomma1 Sun May 29, 2011 1:50 am

J T wrote:Kana Little Sister as being one of the better examples of video game storytelling, despite being a hentai game about incest.

It's pretty tame, well when you compare it to what else it out there. Incest (forbidden love in general) is almost always present in Bishoujo games.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Sun May 29, 2011 2:13 am

Bootfighter Windom XP SP-2

This is for anyone that loves giant robots. In Bootfighter Windom XP SP-2 you control a giant mech and fight against other giant mechs in a 3D arena. As you battle it out, you will likely end up destroying several blocks of the city surrounging you. The game reminds me a bit of War of the Monsters with a Gundam theme. It even has online multiplayer.

the7k
Next-Gen

by the7k Sun May 29, 2011 2:25 am

Eternal Fighter Zero. I remember playing that game CONSTANTLY back in the day. I remember going to an anime con and seeing it played in the game room a couple of years back, and it made me squee like some yaoi fangirl accidentally bumping into Vic Mignogna - just to know I wasn't the only one who played it.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Sun May 29, 2011 2:44 am

Ever17: The Out of Infinity

(This picture link is potentially NSFW. There's no nudity on the page, but it does link you to an eroge site)

Ever17 is a visual novel game that reaps high praise for its storyline about a group of people trapped in an underwater marine park. It's a story of people surviving a tragedy together while also unraveling the mystery as to what happened and why it involved them. Ever17 was originally released for PS2 and Dreamcast, and later released on PC with an English translation. A remake for the Xbox360 in Japan was recently announced for 2011.

Video Trailer
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Sun May 29, 2011 2:58 am

Gigantic Army

If you were fortunate enough to have played Cybernator or Metal Warriors for the SNES, then you will recognize Gigantic Army's influences right away. This is a side scrolling mech shooter that puts you in control of a well armed mech.

To get to the download, click here:
http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/winnt/game/se484925.html

Click on the green button that says "Go to Download Page"
Then click on the new green button that says "Download Now"
This will start the download, unless your browser tries to block it. If it does, you should see a yellowish bar at the top of your browser window and you can tell it that the file is ok to download. You may need to repeat the steps after this.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun May 29, 2011 3:01 am

Downloading now.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Sun May 29, 2011 3:29 am

Xeogred wrote:Any normal good shmups in the world of doujin worth checking out?

I'm not sure what normal means, but I have really been enjoying Ether Vapor a lot lately. I posted about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30572&p=422382#p422382

J T
Next-Gen

by J T Sun May 29, 2011 3:44 am

Iwanaga

Iwanaga is an interesting blend of a side scrolling shooter with an on-rails shooter, like Cabal, Blood Bros., Nam 1975, or Sin & Punishment. You jump and slash your sword in a traditional 2D platformer way, but when you hold down your attack button, your character stops and fires wherever you point the crosshairs to. It's pretty hard, but fun.

Direct Download Link
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun May 29, 2011 7:38 am

Crimzon Clover is not only one of the best doujin shmups ever made, but one of the best shmups ever made, period. Every one who is even slightly a fan of the genre owes it to themselves to try it. Demo here: http://www.vector.co.jp/download/file/w ... 02734.html

It came out earlier this year and has a retail release that you can get from fellow forum member rancor's store ;)

Return to General Gaming