Let's explore the world of Japanese doujin games together!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrEco
Next-Gen

Re: Let's explore the world of Japanese doujin games together!

Post by MrEco »

So I tried out that Re: Alistair game. Amazing. I've never played an actual visual novel before so it's something a little new to me. Quite fun really. It's like somebody took the dialog trees from an RPG and made an entire game out of them with some pretty art in the background and a decent soundtrack.

If Alastair is a good gauge of quality then I'm gonna have to check out a few more of the games in this thread.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I was trying to download Vanguard Princess and can't seem to manage it. I also grabbed that IZArc thing you recommended but I can't seem to figure out how to use it. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Last edited by MrEco on Tue May 31, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

JT already posted most of the ones I have except:
Ace Speeder 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRDnvMLiMEY
It wants to be Fzero so badly, but falls short

Guardian Heroines:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmgZ8xnp ... re=related
Sadly not as good as the first, despite having a solid premise - bad AI
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Thanks fastbilly! 8) Guardian Heroines looks like fun. I'm going to have to try that out later.

Following a few links off of the video you posted led me to this:

Battle Moon Wars

From the trailer this looks like a tactical RPG with some excellent animations for special attacks. Supposedly it is based on the Super Robot Wars games, but I've never played those.

Link to main web page
Link to trailer video
Link to demo version
Link to English Patch
Links to Wiki
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

Oh yeah, I always meant to check that game out. I loved Super Robot Wars, and I like the Type Moon games - what could possibly go wrong?

I remember watching the battle animations on YouTube, and they were bad-ass as all hell.
t0yrobo
Next-Gen

Post by t0yrobo »

Does anyone remember the name of the game that Kung Fu Riders is based off of. It was a ton of fun, but my google skills are failing me on finding it.
Dylan
Next-Gen

Post by Dylan »

I posted a little about this game earlier, but Yume Nikki was a very interesting gaming experience for me. It's a freeware adventure game developed almost only for the purpose of exploring. The majority of the game takes place in the dreams of the main character, all of which are filled with dark and strange images and symbols. The images throughout the entire game are intentionally ambiguous, but are meant to be observed and pondered. It's a very different type of game, but one I found intellectually stimulating and highly enjoyable. An English patched version is available.

Image Image Image Image

HG101 has a good in-depth write up on the game (that's also were I borrowed the screenshots from): http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/yumeni ... enikki.htm

Download: http://www.theneitherworld.com/yumenikki/links.htm
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Wonderful World

*click to download*

This is another school girl fighter game. Nice graphics and animation with an array of fighting moves.

Trailer Video
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Hydra Castle Labyrinth
Size: 1MB

If Zelda and Metroid had a baby, it would be Hydra Castle Labyrinth. This is a platformer with RPG elements. You'll run through side-scrolling dungeons, improve your weaponry, and solve puzzles while you run, jump, and fight. There is a great retro look and feel to this game. This one is popular enough that some fans also have created a translation patch.

Download Site: http://www.vector.co.jp/download/file/w ... 49490.html
Translation Patch: http://www.mediafire.com/?rgs6noj5hze6f4r
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Carpe Fulgur has announced their 3rd Japanese game (after Recettear and Chanteliese) that they will translate and bring to North America. Next up is...

Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone

Gameplay Video

The game looks pretty cool. Apparently it's a side scrolling action adventure that has you controlling multiple characters with different special abilities. I'm looking forward to the release of both this and Chantelise.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Fairy Bloom: Freesia

*click for gameplay video*

This is a sequel to the original Fairy Bloom, created by Edelweiss (makers of the excellent Ether Vapor).

Fairy Bloom Freesia is sort of a beat em up. It plays like the "endurance mode" that you find in some games. Basically, each level is set in a confined space with a few platforms. Waves of bad guys come one-after-another and you have to keep beating the living crap out of them. Survive long enough, and you make it to the next day.

The more days you survive, the more difficult the onslaught gets, but you do earn a little variety. You begin to see new enemies, you may end up with an objective to protect a glowing energy in the forest, even fight a boss battle. The location you are in will finally change after you defeat a boss and then you'll be introduced to some new enemies as well. Some of the later battles take on more of Smash Bros. feel to them.

What makes the game work well is that the combos are really satisfying to pull off. The sound effects and animation makes it feel like you are really kicking these baddies hard and sending them flying across the room. Once you start learning different moves and chaining them together is when you see how an endurance game like this can be fun.

I haven't really worked out how to do all the moves yet. I've got a few good go-to combos, but when I watch the gameplay trailer I can see that there is so much more I'm missing out on, particular the aerial maneuvers where she comes crashing down from above or goes darting around the room. If anyone manages to figure some of these out, please share.

Official Website
Trial Download
Gameplay Video