When you hear "Castlevania...

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else

What version of Castlevania pops into your head first?

Classic Castlevania
58%
Metroidvania
41%
3D Castlevania
1%

Total votes: 110

Ziggy

Re: When you hear "Castlevania...

Post by Ziggy »

Xeogred wrote:only beat DK64 out of those and it felt like it was at least 100 hours long, without even collecting everything. :lol:

Yeah, I remember the first time I played through DK64. It definitely IS endless. When I first started playing, I was spending time in each level to get everything. Then halfway through, I got a "fuck this" feeling and just starting collecting bananas in each level in order to fight the boss right away (trying to rush to the end of the game). But even then, it STILL took forever to finish it.

Opa Opa wrote:I notice I'm the only one who voted "3D Castlevania".

I'm surprised it even got one vote. Do you REALLY think of the 3D games when you hear "Castlevania" ???
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

Ziggy587 wrote:
Opa Opa wrote:I notice I'm the only one who voted "3D Castlevania".

I'm surprised it even got one vote. Do you REALLY think of the 3D games when you hear "Castlevania" ???

I was thinking this too. Even if you happen to love the 3D games, I would say it's nigh impossible for them to spring to mind first, unless the first Castlevania you ever played was in 3D and you didn't even know 2D ones existed or something. I don't think that would apply to anyone on this forum though.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Ziggy587 wrote:I'm surprised it even got one vote. Do you REALLY think of the 3D games when you hear "Castlevania" ???

Most of the time I do think of the N64 ones.

While I do think I played the 2D ones first, CV64 is the one that really stands out in my memory. I even remember renting CV64. I got to Dracula but never beat him.

About 5 years ago I found a cartridge and relived that past experience and finally beat the game. As far as gameplay goes, it isn't my favorite Castlevania game and I can see how difficult it can be to look past its flaws. However, design-wise, it is my favorite CV game. I love the environments and the enemies are really memorable.

So for me it will always be a classic.

Oh, and...
Skeletons riding motorcycles! :mrgreen:
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Opa Opa wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:I'm surprised it even got one vote. Do you REALLY think of the 3D games when you hear "Castlevania" ???

While I do think I played the 2D ones first, CV64 is the one that really stands out in my memory. I even remember renting CV64. I got to Dracula but never beat him.

About 5 years ago I found a cartridge and relived that past experience and finally beat the game. As far as gameplay goes, it isn't my favorite Castlevania game and I can see how difficult it can be to look past its flaws. However, design-wise, it is my favorite CV game. I love the environments and the enemies are really memorable.

Oh, and...

In a perfect world, a judas priest song would automatically play whenever those guys showed up in the game
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Opa Opa wrote:While I do think I played the 2D ones first, CV64 is the one that really stands out in my memory. I even remember renting CV64. I got to Dracula but never beat him.

That's cool. I mean, it doesn't matter what game it is, you can still have fond memories of it. I might have said conflicting things about CV64 in this thread :lol: but I do have fond memories of when I first played it. But still, I don't think it holds a candle to the 2D games. That's just my own feeling on it. Do I think it's the worst game? Certainly not. I will try and play it again one day, it's just a question of whether I'll still enjoy it or not.

brunoafh wrote:I was thinking this too. Even if you happen to love the 3D games, I would say it's nigh impossible for them to spring to mind first, unless the first Castlevania you ever played was in 3D and you didn't even know 2D ones existed or something. I don't think that would apply to anyone on this forum though.

I don't know about that, we do have some younger people on this forum that are into games before their time.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

Resident Evil 5 has zombies riding motorcycles. Insta-classic?
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

brunoafh wrote:Resident Evil 5 has zombies riding motorcycles. Insta-classic?

Let's not get into the "are they really zombies?" discussion.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Opa Opa wrote:
brunoafh wrote:Resident Evil 5 has zombies riding motorcycles. Insta-classic?

Let's not get into the "are they really zombies?" discussion.

Yeah, to a casual observer it's just a bunch of African guys on motorcycles
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

Gamerforlife wrote:
Opa Opa wrote:

Oh, and...

In a perfect world, a judas priest song would automatically play whenever those guys showed up in the game

Post of the year!
MidnightRider
32-bit

Post by MidnightRider »