Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Re: Post proof that you're passing retro on to the kids!

by TEKTORO Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:13 am

I would say around 2-3 years old they can start to mess around and understand the concept. Around 4 years old they can get a good hang of playing on their own, I started my first around 2 (contra non the less) now she's 6 and has actually became a true gamer owning a couple systems playing anything that doesn't have inappropriate content plus non stop talks about her current favs (minecraft, Sly cooper and Sims Pets).

Now my second daughter is now 3 she is starting to like games as well and I mean this was all within the last few weeks, but I got her Adventure Time Secrets of the nameless kingdom (I think that's what it's called), but this game is a Zelda clone so I showed her how to move and swing the sword, which sparked something in her. She started to grasp it and I shit you not her speech has improved since. Possibly stimulating a part of her brain she wasn't using yet, she was at slow start for pronouncing her words and had some speech therapy which was also very helpful but playing some games actually helped too!

And what I failed to mention (with my second) is around 2 I attempted to get her to play with Injustice since you can button mash, but then realized she was kicking the shit out of people and doing Harley Quinns victory pose so I put her on hiatus till now. She still does her victory pose but enjoys Hotel Mario at the moment!

As for my newborn 3 month old... She's just learning how to rollover! Lol
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (333.02 KiB) Viewed 626 times
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:40 pm

Fix it Felix Jr:

Ninja Masters

JohnnyBgood

by JohnnyBgood Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:51 am

I make mine play retrogames on my mobile or tablets.

For eg. I make them play R-type, Raiden or metal slug (but a lil bit difficult for the moment :) )
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:55 am

Tek has his kid playing a CD-i.

Tek wins the thread.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:04 am

Reminds me of the Pico.

Maybe CD-I will be my next console.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:31 am

noiseredux wrote:Tek has his kid playing a CD-i

Haha, glad you like the pic! She's playing A Visit to Sesame Street Letters, pretty primitive gaming but very effective we had a blast playing and it did (slightly) choke me up to see her having fun, interacting and learning.

During this session was the first time I've seen her in full control of here actions when playing a game. Great kids game for 3 years old, my developer mindset was kinda of thinking these types of games would work well with Kinect Sensor technology. Point and Click interactive type games. (At least appealing for young ones)

@BoneS-- CD-I is a hard system to recommend honestly, but if your like me (or Ack for that matter) there truely are no bad games when your passion is to experience the history of gaming. There are a few diamonds in the rough which can justify it however :)

The model shown is the CD-I 910 which is bout 5x bigger than any VCR I've seen, but love it because it's a good conversation piece when people don't even realize it's a console!
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:49 pm

I have a Pico and Didj so CD-I seems like the next logical step. :lol:
Yancakes
64-bit

by Yancakes Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:58 pm

Thanks for your guys feedback! Googling this was impossible since it was all just articles about how kids shouldn't be allowed near screens because they'll turn in to psychopaths or some shit.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:48 pm

Yancakes wrote:Thanks for your guys feedback! Googling this was impossible since it was all just articles about how kids shouldn't be allowed near screens because they'll turn in to psychopaths or some shit.

Partially true, getting out and interaction with the world is important as well as healthy. Also what content some one is playing can affect them due to their age. I feel the ratings are pretty good at keeping a guideline for what's age appropriate. Someone very young shouldn't be exposed to issues they don't fully understand or it may influence their judgement. Not that games are to blame, but in some nature people can take things too far and not realize the boundaries between fantasy and reality.

Otherwise I see no harm, pretty sure everyone is a gamer parent now a days and has a bond with their children when playing games together. Now breeding them to farm in MMOs would be a lil looney if you ask me. Lol
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Yancakes wrote:Thanks for your guys feedback! Googling this was impossible since it was all just articles about how kids shouldn't be allowed near screens because they'll turn in to psychopaths or some shit.

Those articles are true. Allowing your children even limited, closely-monitored screen time will instantaneously remove their souls and turn them into hollow-eyed, sociopathic monsters. That is both our goal and the goal of all children's entertainment, however. (Wish us luck!)
Return to General Gaming