Post proof that you're passing retro on to the kids!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Post proof that you're passing retro on to the kids!

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I just stumbled on this picture I took of my brother-in-law when I took him to Best Buy to play Super Smash Bros. U at Best Buy last year. The wait was insane, the crowds were huge. Those were good times.

I think I did a good job passing gaming on.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

We have the same Luigi outfit; I posted this pic 4 years ago...

IMG_0058.JPG
IMG_0058.JPG (177.78 KiB) Viewed 870 times

IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG (210.52 KiB) Viewed 869 times
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Could just be me, but those mustaches look fake.
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

Me and the boy racking up mega points on Mushi2 down the ghetto arcade at Xidan!
Attachments
mmexport1439702231080.jpg
mmexport1439702231080.jpg (122.48 KiB) Viewed 834 times
mmexport1439702227621.jpg
mmexport1439702227621.jpg (147.91 KiB) Viewed 834 times
Weekend shmupper
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Nice! Cool arcade (even if they can't afford to light up the Blast marquees) :)
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

Ha! yeah, the blast cities are all in a dark and dingy corner and are usually turned off when I arrive, and half of them are missing a joystick or two.
Weekend shmupper
Yancakes
64-bit

Post by Yancakes »

What age does everyone find kids are capable of playing games at? Our philosophy is bugger the people who say no screen time before 2, but if you take something simple like Super Mario Bros. what age do y'all think a child would be able to actually grasp it at?

Not asking when they'd be GOOD at a game. My boy makes the connection between controllers and what's happening on screens, as did my goddaughter at around the same age... but when, by your guys' reckoning, might he understand a d-pad and a jump button?
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Yancakes wrote:What age does everyone find kids are capable of playing games at? Our philosophy is bugger the people who say no screen time before 2, but if you take something simple like Super Mario Bros. what age do y'all think a child would be able to actually grasp it at?

Not asking when they'd be GOOD at a game. My boy makes the connection between controllers and what's happening on screens, as did my goddaughter at around the same age... but when, by your guys' reckoning, might he understand a d-pad and a jump button?

I was subjugated to Video Games at 3 years old. I couldn't do much until I was 4 and find some level of success. I know a lot of people who have kids and have quality video game time together at 4 years old and it seems to work well for them. Games like Minecraft or Animal Crossing can really fit for them.

As for when you can understand a d-pad and jump button for me that was at 3 with the Atari 2600.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

My daughter is (almost) 2.5 and plays Pac-Man a couple of times per week. Nice and simple - four directions and nothing else.

She also loves Magical Drop 2 but can't quite grasp how to play.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
Yancakes wrote:I know a lot of people who have kids and have quality video game time together at 4 years old and it seems to work well for them.

Yep. My eldest started getting the hang of things at around that age. By the following year he was decently adept at games like Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin. His favorite.

So yeah, gradually, aimless button mashing gives way to a little more precise handling of the game-pad/joystick.
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"