The (re)death of SNK?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
the7k
Next-Gen

The (re)death of SNK?

Post by the7k »

http://dreamcancel.com/?p=472

Looks like KOF XIII may never be getting a port, as the producer of the series left SNK in November. Worse yet, apparently the new president is more interested in pachinko, and would rather shut down SNK's video game division.

Maybe a bit melodramatic, but it's looking like this isn't going to bod well for some of us SNK fans.
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Re: The (re)death of SNK?

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

the7k wrote:Worse yet, apparently the new president is more interested in pachinko, and would rather shut down SNK's video game division.

Wait wait wait, isn't this exactly what happened ten years ago?
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

YoshiEgg25 wrote:
the7k wrote:Worse yet, apparently the new president is more interested in pachinko, and would rather shut down SNK's video game division.

Wait wait wait, isn't this exactly what happened ten years ago?

That's what I was gonna say.

It feels like I'm watching a repeat.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

Well crap!
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

Looks dismal, sure.. But don't rule out the power of a long-lasting franchise..

SNK games have been not just a staple franchise for the fighting-game market, but the whole gaming industry in general.

At the very worst - expect a few years of limbo until SNK properties get sold off to interested companies, (Capcom - JUST DO IT, already!!) that could come away with a cheap investment that yields significant revenue as a result of a brand new vision on a classic fighting game stable..

As a longtime SNK/NeoGeo fan, I'm not so much worried about the direction of Mizufune, as I am at the eventual fallout of whomever will eventually pay him for the rights to make new SNK games..
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

I like this thread title. I mean very appropraite and funny, but I hope playmore lives.
Or why does Capcom not simply buy it damnit!
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Rurouni_Fencer wrote:Looks dismal, sure.. But don't rule out the power of a long-lasting franchise..

SNK games have been not just a staple franchise for the fighting-game market, but the whole gaming industry in general.

At the very worst - expect a few years of limbo until SNK properties get sold off to interested companies, (Capcom - JUST DO IT, already!!)

I'd love to see Konami buy Metal Slug. :D
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

Post by Weekend_Warrior »

Rurouni_Fencer wrote:Looks dismal, sure.. But don't rule out the power of a long-lasting franchise..
Yeah. But look how poorly King of Fighters XII and Samurai Shodown Sen were received.

And then whatever happened to SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 0? That was supposed to come out for the PS2 and/or Wii awhile back but we haven't heard anything new about that in a long time... ? So maybe that was cancelled

It's definitely not looking good for SNK - I am in total agreement with that.
"Welcome to the circus of values!"

Currently Playing: Crysis (360), Destiny demo (PS3), Roadblasters (MAME)
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

Weekend_Warrior wrote:
Yeah. But look how poorly King of Fighters XII and Samurai Shodown Sen were received.

And then whatever happened to SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 0? That was supposed to come out for the PS2 and/or Wii awhile back but we haven't heard anything new about that in a long time... ? So maybe that was cancelled

It's definitely not looking good for SNK - I am in total agreement with that.

KoFXII had some potential, unfortunately it was about as deep as an R.L. Stine book..
Samurai Shodown Sen was another title that had something going for it, only to be marred by shitty game-play, piss-poor combos, terrible characters, and just overall piss-poor WTF-ery.. I had high hopes for both of these games only to be kicked in the balls and left hoping I wake up to a reality that has SNK in the place it was back in 97/98..

Regardless of how I felt of said games, the house of Bogard, Marco, & Co. has not felt the proper love it deserves because of terrible R&D, lackluster PR, and an overall priority to cash in on the companies' faithful following by releasing sub-par additions year after year.. By the time KoF 2003, (and even Metal Slug 5,) came along, I felt like I had played it all before.. SNK is so alike with Capcom in the way it treats it's long-running marquees that it boggles the mind that they haven't merged yet...
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
Gnashvar
128-bit

Post by Gnashvar »

I'm sure many companies would buy the video game business of SNK. Just the franchise characters are a good investment. And if they are thinking of shutting down that part of the business, why not better sell it?
Thanks everyone...