Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: My feelings about warranties and firmware

by ZeroAX Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:04 pm

Jamisonia wrote:
It seems to me that everytime there's a PS3 update a ton of consoles get bricked that Sony washes their hands of. Nintendo from what I've read and heard is pretty good about fixing or replacing consoles.

But another concern is withdrawal of support for older models. This is especially a concern with BD players.

Ok, I too think it was Wii's that were bricked and got replaced.

For BD I have the PS3, but I don't get what you are saying about firmware upgrades. So BD players only play original Blue Rays? Isn't that kind of stupid? How about people who want to record and store their own movies?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
arion
Next-Gen

by arion Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:05 pm

I agree firmware updates are way to common considering the risk involved. Also a system bricked by an update should be replaced free or for minimal charge if it isn't under warranty any more.

But of course what is most likely to happen is the appearance of a disclaimer before a firmware update stating the risks involved and thereby freeing the company from any responsibility.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:10 pm

arion wrote:But of course what is most likely to happen is the appearance of a disclaimer before a firmware update stating the risks involved and thereby freeing the company from any responsibility.

I still think those things don't really hold much in court, but most people don't really have the money to pay for a lawyer. That is why cases always get postponed. So they can be dragged on and a single individual can't pay his lawyer long enough.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Jamisonia
128-bit

by Jamisonia Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:13 pm

ZeroAX wrote:
Jamisonia wrote:
It seems to me that everytime there's a PS3 update a ton of consoles get bricked that Sony washes their hands of. Nintendo from what I've read and heard is pretty good about fixing or replacing consoles.

But another concern is withdrawal of support for older models. This is especially a concern with BD players.

Ok, I too think it was Wii's that were bricked and got replaced.

For BD I have the PS3, but I don't get what you are saying about firmware upgrades. So BD players only play original Blue Rays? Isn't that kind of stupid? How about people who want to record and store their own movies?

Since DVD's security was cracked in like 2001 or whatever, there's was little companies could do to prevent bootlegs, because if they changed the security on DVD, every DVD player sold up to that point wouldn't be able to read DVDs with the new security protection. With Blu Ray they wanted to change that, and firmware was the answer. So now when they decide to release a new security protection for Blu Ray Discs, BD players get a firmware update allowing them to read the new discs. Assuming this firmware update doesn't brick the player, and the company is timely about releasing the upgrade. The most recent security change was when Avatar came out. Avatar used a new security protection, and a lot of companies were slow about upgrading their legacy BD players that they no longer manufactured, meaning a lot of people could play Avatar for a few months after its release. Now as far as I know all BD players got the upgrade, however; it was a fiasco, and in the future not all players could get the upgrade.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:18 pm

ok that just made my day. FFS companies. At least the PS3 is the best blue ray player out there (meaning there won't be a case of the new firmware not being released for it, at least not until 2014-15), but it really sucks for people who bought blue ray players early on.
msimplay
64-bit

by msimplay Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:51 pm

arion wrote:I agree firmware updates are way to common considering the risk involved. Also a system bricked by an update should be replaced free or for minimal charge if it isn't under warranty any more.

But of course what is most likely to happen is the appearance of a disclaimer before a firmware update stating the risks involved and thereby freeing the company from any responsibility.

Na disclaimer doesn't free them of responsibility because its like holding a gun to someones head saying oh if you do as I say I won't kill you but these are the risks and you might die anyway.
When related to the firmware update being if you want to continue to have a functional Bluray player you must update however you still run the risk of bricking it in the process.
Return to General Gaming