Arcade pad, or normal controller?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Anayo
Next-Gen

Arcade pad, or normal controller?

Post by Anayo »

Some games were 'intended' to be played with an arcade pad.

Some games I like better with an arcade pad. Metal Slug in particular makes my wrists feel more loose when I play with an arcade pad. Streets of Rage style beat em up's work better for me with that sort of controller as well.

Yet, whenever I play a fighting game, I just can't manage without a standard playstation dualshock controller. This includes mostly Tekken and Street Fighter. I've honestly tried to play them with an arcade pad, but I can't roll the stick the same way. I always go back to a dualshock and perform a million times better.

Anyone agree, disagree?
kiteJargon
16-bit

Re: Arcade pad, or normal controller?

Post by kiteJargon »

It's all about what is comfortable for you. Personally I've made the switch to stick with the newer fighting games, Super Street Fighter 2 T:HDR and SSF4, and now I can't go back. I just find performing combos so much easier when all the buttons are laid out like on a stick. Not to say that I'm perfectly comfortable with it yet though as some stick motions I still struggle with.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both so I say use whatever works.
Generic signature------- ACTIVATE!

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

normal pad - most games
arcade pad - fighting games
arcade stick - shmups
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

I CANNOT play fighting games like Street Fighter with an arcade stick. I mean I can, but am much better with a d-pad (not even the analog sticks on the Dual Shock, but the d-pad!). I was so used to using the old Genesis, SNES and Saturn (yup, I had a Saturn back in the day before a PS!) pads for SFII that I find I'm much more comfortable with it than a joystick.

Same with shoot 'em ups. I can use an arcade stick, but am much more comfortable with a pad.
Bikeage
128-bit

Post by Bikeage »

Whatever feels "right" is the answer. I use a stock controller for most games, a stick when applicable for fighters and vertical shumps, and back to a d-pad for horizontal ones.
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Post by Curlypaul »

Since I got a stick I just cant play fighting games on a pad for toffee. I just find it so much easier to do the roles as I can feel and hear when I'm on a switch and its time to stop moving or whatever.
fvgazi
Next-Gen

Post by fvgazi »

I use my Agetec a ton on DC for all my fighting games. I actually don't use it for shmups as much as I thought I would. Same for 360. The only fighting game I have at the moment is SF4. Although, I will picking up BlazBlu, Tekken 6, and BattleFantasia soon enough.

I've tried it on Deathsmiles, but Didn't like it. I mostly use it for the R-Types, Raiden 4, and Platypus.

I've actually found for preforming QCF, HCF, etc were much easier on my 360 stick as I used the octagonal gate restrictor. I'm sure when I play Tekken I'll run into problems. My Agetec still has a 4 way on it and I don't plan on modding it.

For Saturn I love the D-Pad for shmups. It's mint.
[ XBL: downedcity | PSN: biggry | Steam: Merchandise ]
Black Lodge Amplification: http://blacklodgeamps.tumblr.com/
zombi_ryu
8-bit

Post by zombi_ryu »

Though I grew up playing fighters on the Genesis and Saturn controllers, it wasn't until I bought one of the Mad Catz SF4 TE sticks that I realized that 90% of fighters are built from the ground up specifically for use with a stick. The period of adjustment is huge (weeks to months). but well worth it. Your game will improve, trust me.

It's only worth it to use a stick if you have a decent one, btw. I still use my Saturn pad and SF Anniversary pads for Saturn and PS2 fighters because the sticks I have for those consoles aren't even worth adapting to.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

I'm adapting to playing fighting games on a stick again since I recently bought a really nice one for ps3, but I always love the pads 8)
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

i'm better with pad, than stick.
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here