Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Re: Games where the time affects gameplay?

by YoshiEgg25 Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:33 pm

MrHealthy wrote:
Gooseberrysoda wrote:Pokemon G/S/C do, if you get the Pokerus. Too bad that almost never happens.

Ummm, time of day / day of week also affects wild pokemon battles, and certian trainer battles and NPC locations.

This is true for all latter hand held pokemon games too. So R/S/E on GBA (to a lesser extent), D/P/Pt on DS, HG/SS on DS and B/W on DS.

Beat you to it. :P

Also, I don't think R/S/E have any time-based events, because they removed the internal clock from the GBA games.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
Original_Name
Next-Gen

by Original_Name Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:40 pm

Seaman uses actual-time. I can't remember if he keeps up with the date to the extent that he'll give you holiday greetings, for instance, but the game does keep track of how many times a day you visit him and how long you wait in-between visits.
Gnashvar
128-bit

by Gnashvar Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Majora's Mask
Thanks everyone...
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:56 pm

a Greek indie horror adventure game with vampires, which had the brilliant idea of only letting you play it during night...... cause you know, that's when Vampires are out.

Don't remember the name though, I just remember a magazine bashing it hard for this stupid idea. I think it came out back in 03, but I'm not sure.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:56 pm

Akumajo Dracula for the X68000 makes use of the internal clock. The PS1 version, Castlevania Chronicles, retains these features but because the PS1 lacks an internal clock the time and date have to be set in game each and every time the game is turned on in order to get the "correct" effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania_Chronicles wrote:The original game utilized the X68000’s internal time and date settings; the time on the clock tower during the boss fight on stage 15 would reflect the X68000’s current time and the color scheme used on the painting in stage 21 would reflect one of the four seasons according to the computer's current date. On the PlayStation game, each time the system is turned on, the time and date have to be manually adjusted only after a hidden "Extra Option" menu is accessed by inputting an altered version of the Konami Code.

http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Castlevania_Chronicles wrote:On stage 21, the last section has a giant painting in the background of a field with mountains. For the original X68000 game, the painting will reflect one of the four seasons, depending what the computers internal clock date is set at. For Castlevania Chronicles, since the PlayStation doesn't have an internal clock, an "Extra Option" menu can be accessed where the player can set the date. When the game is turned off, however, the date information does not save.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
MrHealthy
Next-Gen

by MrHealthy Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:10 pm

YoshiEgg25 wrote:
MrHealthy wrote:
Gooseberrysoda wrote:Pokemon G/S/C do, if you get the Pokerus. Too bad that almost never happens.

Ummm, time of day / day of week also affects wild pokemon battles, and certian trainer battles and NPC locations.

This is true for all latter hand held pokemon games too. So R/S/E on GBA (to a lesser extent), D/P/Pt on DS, HG/SS on DS and B/W on DS.

Beat you to it. :P

Also, I don't think R/S/E have any time-based events, because they removed the internal clock from the GBA games.

The internal clock is still there. As far as I know these are the only time based events in the games though;

--Espeon and Umbreon evolutions are obtained in the Day and Night respectively (though there is no ingame explanation).
--Berries grow as time passes.
--Mirage Island has a random chance of appearing every 24 hours.

I don't think FR/LG has anything though.
Czernobog
Next-Gen

by Czernobog Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:19 pm

Dissidia: Final Fantasy for PSP

The game will give you bonuses like 1.5x experience, etc. if you play on certain days of the week, and utilizes an in-game calender.
saturnfan
128-bit

by saturnfan Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Anapan wrote:Mana Khemia on PS2 has a clock that affects what enemies are around (sometimes), how tough they are (night time makes everything much harder), and which items you can find/farm/mine/catch. The plot is advanced by time as well. I think the other games in the series have the same game play gimmick.

Yea Mana Khemia 2 follows the same path. Not sure about the Atelier Iris series in general though.
JordanPlayer
64-bit

by JordanPlayer Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:19 pm

Gnashvar wrote:Majora's Mask
Just wanted to re-emphasive this... probably one of the best examples of in-game time having an effect on what is happening in the world.

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest also has a night/day cycle that changes enemy difficulty and a few other things.
MrHealthy
Next-Gen

by MrHealthy Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:22 pm

JordanPlayer wrote:
Gnashvar wrote:Majora's Mask
Just wanted to re-emphasive this... probably one of the best examples of in-game time having an effect on what is happening in the world.

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest also has a night/day cycle that changes enemy difficulty and a few other things.

Unless Im mistaken, I think he meant real time, not ingame time. As a lot of games have ingame time cycles.
Return to General Gaming