Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
fuctfuct
128-bit

Help buying CRT HDTV

by fuctfuct Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:25 am

I am going to start looking for one. Might take while as i live in a fairly small city. I am pretty much limited to what can be found on this site http://www.usedvictoria.com (not many people use CL here).

What i would like help with is how to quickly test these things for geometry, convergence, and other things to look for. Do you need to test every input in every mode (480i, 480p and 1080i)? I don't want to show up at a guys house and test the thing for hours then not buy it hehe

I'm pretty sensitive to these CRT problems but i am also aware that most if not all CRTs have them to some degree. Also if anyone knows how to fix these problems if the set isnt perfect but not horrible. I have gotten into a few SD CRT service menus before but then i just get scared lol

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified- ... V_13878270
Krooner
64-bit

Re: Help buying CRT HDTV

by Krooner Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:37 pm

HD CRT set display in 580p or 1080i they interpolate everything else, so as far a test every input goes you don't need to it's pretty black and white. IIRC some later HDCRT can do 720p but they were phased out before it really took hold.

Why must you have a CRT over LCD/plasma?
fuctfuct
128-bit

by fuctfuct Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:47 pm

Krooner wrote:Why must you have a CRT over LCD/plasma?

Price (these are cheap as fxxk now a days), LCD ghosting sucks, LCD blurring gives me a headache, LCD input lag sucks, CRT has (IMO) a better picture then all but the very best LCDs (that i cant afford), Retro games suck on LCDs (IMO).. but im not sure how they will look on an CRT HDTV, I have owend many LCD HDTVs but never a CRT HDTV, I have done the whole SDTV for retro LCD for current gen thing and would like to try to have one TV for both... Thats all i can think of ATM heh
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:40 pm

Thrift stores a good source.

Maybe for testing, bring an upscaling DVD player and especially your favorite Retro console. The DVD player for the higher resolutions of HDMI/Component and the older console for SVideo and Composite. Keep in mind the HD CRT won't work with Retro Lightguns. There are non HDMI/DVI EDTVs but you won't get the higher 720p or 1080p out of them.

A nudge to my CRT vs LCD signature link.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:50 pm

I've never seen a CRT HDTV under 160lbs. Just keep that in mind. CRT's are heavy in the first place, the HD ones seem to be even heavier as a general rule.

I play my Saturn on a plasma and it looks fine. Personally, I'd just save up a little longer and buy a higher quality LCD. It takes less room, you get warranty, and you won't break your back.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:55 pm

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:I've never seen a CRT HDTV under 160lbs. Just keep that in mind. CRT's are heavy in the first place, the HD ones seem to be even heavier as a general rule.

I play my Saturn on a plasma and it looks fine. Personally, I'd just save up a little longer and buy a higher quality LCD. It takes less room, you get warranty, and you won't break your back.
All personal preference on type of screen image, especially dealing with lower resolutions of Retro consoles.

But you are not kidding about the weight. I initially bought a Sony CRT non HD, then upgraded to the same sized Sony HD CRT. The HD tube really adds to the weight!
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

deathclaw
64-bit

by deathclaw Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:55 pm

What about LCD + good upscaler? Keep in mind, that I want to play NES games as well.

CRTGAMER wrote:Thrift stores a good source.

Maybe for testing, bring an upscaling DVD player and especially your favorite Retro console. The DVD player for the higher resolutions of HDMI/Component and the older console for SVideo and Composite. Keep in mind the HD CRT won't work with Retro Lightguns. There are non HDMI/DVI EDTVs but you won't get the higher 720p or 1080p out of them.

Wow, I have never thought about this. Do you think NES games would look good via upscaling DVD player? Wouldn't be better to buy an ordinary upscaler instead?
I've got no signature.
fuctfuct
128-bit

by fuctfuct Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:10 pm

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:I've never seen a CRT HDTV under 160lbs. Just keep that in mind. CRT's are heavy in the first place, the HD ones seem to be even heavier as a general rule.

Weight isn't really a concern. I work in construction so getting another strong guy to move it with me and place it in a location where it will rarely ever move again isn't really worth thinking about hehe.

I have bought expensive LCDs before and i always find something i hate about them. The most expensive one i ever bought was 1300 and for that price (in my mind) it better fucking be perfect. It wasn't = returned. So as a general rule i will never spent more then about $500 on one (easier to live with silly annoying things if you payed less).

deathclaw wrote:What about LCD + good upscaler? Keep in mind, that I want to play NES games as well.

If the XRGB wasn't so expensive id consider it :(

deathclaw wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:Thrift stores a good source.

Wow, I have never thought about this. Do you think NES games would look good via upscaling DVD player? Wouldn't be better to buy an ordinary upscaler instead?

I dont think you understood what he was saying here.
Last edited by fuctfuct on Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChuChu Flamingo
64-bit

by ChuChu Flamingo Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:51 pm

If you're hooking up HD consoles to a HD CRT I would recommend widescreen. If not, you will have bars on HD stuff that isn't 4:3 (almost all Xbox 360/PS3/Blue Ray movies are 16:9)

As far as geometry is concerned, no CRT is perfect. That is what Plasmas and LCDs exceed at.

Also, if you want to do some testing on the TV to see how it works with different resolutions, bring a PS2. You will need to hook it up via component and put in either Disgaea/Ico/PS1 game at 240p. For composite, just bring a NES. The NES will show how good the comb filter is in the TV.

As far as geometry/convergence you will need a test pattern, which often come with AVIA guide to home theater or something similar and test on all resolutions (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i)

I recommend the Sony Wega HD trinitron CRT. The one I have has a native resolution of 480p or 1080i and is 4:3. If you plan to do any HD gaming, please get a widescreen version of one. If not, there will be bars on it if playing in anything past 480p (some games have bars even in 480p)

One last note, light guns will not work on these CRTs
fuctfuct
128-bit

by fuctfuct Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:17 pm

Thanks for the testing options. And yea i was definitely not looking at anything 4:3.

Also, i don't think i have ever played a light gun game in my life. Well maybe duck hunt for 5 seconds when i got my first NES but thats about it. :mrgreen:
Return to General Gaming