Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Scooter
Next-Gen

It's my birthday and I've had a great VG related day!

by Scooter Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:34 am

Well, I broke the trend today. Usually my birthdays are crummy for one reason or another. Part of it is having a birthday in January, usually the weather just sucks on my birthday! Today the weather was good, my wife totally spoiled me and I got great BBQ for dinner. To top it off, I found a $20 lying on the ground during my afternoon walk! Happy freakin' birthday to me!

First a little background: for Christmas my family and myself decided not to get each other a bunch of stuff we didn't need and just donated our gift giving funds to a charity. We collectively gave $600 to Heifer International (look it up, cool charity). That felt pretty darn good. I didn't own a current gen video game system so there really wasn't anything in that category I could get as a gift anyway (my family wouldn't know how to find a used game store let alone how to find something I'd want from there). I do own a Wii, but I use it mostly for Gamecube gaming.

Anyway, my wife and I still exchanged a few gifts just between us aside from giving to charity and I got Epic Mickey for the Wii which was great, been wanting to check that one out (I like it). The day after Christmas we go to visit my best gaming buddy and spend the day with his family. Then he blows my mind by giving us a 320g PS3! He is a very well paid VP in a big company and he said his bonus this year was substantial so he just wanted to share his good fortune! I've always wanted a PS3 but could never justify the expense. Anyway, I'm enjoying it greatly and have played some GT5 online with his son and really liked the online experience (more than I thought I would).

Anyway, for my birthday today my wife (and the dogs!) gave me a PS3 backpack case, Bluray remote and a vertical stand for the new PS3 as well as a SceneIt! game we can play together (she's not much of a gamer but loves movies). After my birthday dinner (BBQ! Yum!) I picked up Metal Gear Solid 4 and Uncharted 2 for my own birthday present to myself which joined GT5 and Uncharted and the Move game Sports Challenge (or something like that) that I already had. My PS3 collection is already growing!

Anyway, it was a pretty good day and I have a new toy I am enjoying! Because of the PS3 I found out my newer TV can output 1080p and it looks great doing it (for some reason I thought it could only do 1080i). I just never had a device before that could put out such a signal.
Ow! My small intestine!
GamerMON
Next-Gen

Re: It's my birthday and I've had a great VG related day!

by GamerMON Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:36 am

Happy birthday. May your good fortunes last all year. :wink:
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:43 am

Sounds like an awesome day to me. Happy birthday sir.
dischord76
24-bit

by dischord76 Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:44 am

that sounds like a great birthday! A very generous thing to do during the holidays. I think I tell myself sometimes that I can't afford to buy newer games often( I really can't) so I spend most of my extra money on older games. In the end though, I think I spend about a new game and a half's worth every month :lol: With that said, I wish I had a Ps3 as well to play games online with my dad who lives a few states away. I hope you enjoy it!
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:45 am

happy happy birthday!
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
terrin707
16-bit

by terrin707 Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:20 am

Happy Birthday, Man! Sounds like quite a nice birthday (and meal!) you had ;)
Xonticus
128-bit

by Xonticus Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:35 am

Sounds like your heart is in the right place and you have friends and family that love you immensely! Congratulations on have a great holiday and I wish only the best fortune for you and your kin.
Got: Atari 2600, Atari 7800Pro, Commodore 64, Odyssey 2, Sega Master System, NES, Genesis Models 1-3, Nomad, Game Gear, Sega CD Model 1, Sega 32x, SuperNES, GameBoys, GameBoy Pocket, GBC, Sega Saturn Model 2, GBA, Nintendo 64, Playstation, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 2 Slim, Nintendo DS Lite, Xbox 360, Gamecube, PS3 Slim
Return to General Gaming