Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
J T
Next-Gen

Re: A new browser game every few days

by J T Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:44 pm

I'm glad you liked it.

Certainly the story is open to interpretation. I played through it again and realized it has multiple endings too. I got one about the girl the first time and one about the dog the second time. I really liked the notion that the ghosts from your past are there to help you in your future. This was a really beautiful idea for tying together some of the tutorial beginnings into the finale and giving them meaning beyond teaching you how to play the game. It's a great way to show a character drawing on the memories of those he loves to overcome new obstacles. I'd love to see something similar used in a more fleshed out game.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:43 pm

Sarah's Run
http://jayisgames.com/games/sarahs-run-preview/

This is a great little game. It reminds me a lot of Portal, but with a puzzle mechanic more akin to those seen in Prey. There is no fighting in the game. It's all about defying gravity and switching it around. It's a 3D puzzle platformer where you have to touch light beacons that either shift the direction of gravity or open doors. The game is really fast paced and fun and the puzzles really require some thought. You need some serious visuo-spatial abilities to figure this game out. There's only 10 levels as this is meant to be preview of a larger game. You can read about the game's development at the developer's blog here.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:21 am

GIRP
http://www.foddy.net/GIRP.html

This one comes recommended from AmishSamurai. GIRP is the latest game from Ben Foddy, the man that brought you QWOP (posted earlier). This one isn't quite as impossibly hard as QWOP, but I think you will still find it is still quite challenging. In GIRP you rock climb in a race against an ever rising tide. The controls alternate between use of the left and right arm, with a key used for muscle flexion. You position your arm to the rungs on the cliff side by pressing the letter on your keyboard that is marked inside the rung. The game quickly turns into the videogame equivalent of a game of Twister.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:47 am

Spiral Knights
http://www.spiralknights.com/

ImageImage

This is a recently released free-to-play action arcade game from Sega. It's pretty cool. The game play is like Zelda: A Link to the Past, but played with a team of 4 people online, which makes it more like Gauntlet or a top-down Left 4 Dead. This has high production values, it's an mmo action rpg, and it's really fun. I'm still waiting to figure out what the catch is. They wouldn't just release this for free. I'm sure there is some way they want you to spend money, I just haven't figured out what it is yet. Until then, meet up with some people and have a good time! My username is jungletoad in case you ever bump into me online.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:08 pm

Moonlights

This one comes recommended by Ivo, who sasy "It is pretty much a World of Goo clone with 15 levels, but it is well done and has a couple of good original ideas as well."

And if you haven't played World of Goo yet, you really should check it out:
http://2dboy.com/
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:46 pm

J T wrote:Spiral Knights
http://www.spiralknights.com/

My username is jungletoad in case you ever bump into me online.

I'm playing this, it seems quite fun.
My name in game is Vivo.

I figured out, it is a "freemium" kind of game. You need to put in real cash for some of the stuff.

Ivo.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:22 pm

Test Subject Blue

This is a cute puzzle game that is sort of like a 2d Portal.
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

by AmishSamurai Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:11 am

World's Biggest Pac-Man

http://worldsbiggestpacman.com/

zillions upon zillions of fan-made pac-man mazes, all linked together. I spent a good amount of time just running from maze to maze, seeing the various setups.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:22 am

AmishSamurai wrote:World's Biggest Pac-Man

http://worldsbiggestpacman.com/

zillions upon zillions of fan-made pac-man mazes, all linked together. I spent a good amount of time just running from maze to maze, seeing the various setups.

That's kind of a cool idea in theory. In practice though, I found a lot of the levels to be annoying. It does say something for good level design though. It also made me think of something I hadn't before, which is how A.I. and level design work together. I played one level that had rooms full of dots, so you had to work quickly before ghosts came, but after a few minutes I noticed ghosts would go into the rooms and spin in circles, leaving the rest of the board easy to munch up, but the room was hard to get to. It's like the design messed with the AI's program, but then that made the game less fun. I'd never really thought about the interaction of AI and level design before.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:50 am

Osada

I hesitate to call this a game, but I don't hesitate to tell you that you should play it. This is the latest outing from Amanita Designs, the people that brought you Machinarium and the Samorost games. I played through Osada a few times trying to think of what to tell you about it, but I could play this a thousand times and words would still fail me. You just need to experience it for yourself.
Return to General Gaming