A new browser game every few days

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ivo
Next-Gen

Re: A new browser game every few days

Post by Ivo »

Niode wrote:Illogical puzzles? Where? I didn't get stuck once and I'm usually hilariously crap at point & clicks (despite loving them so).

Re: Something Amiss

I did not get stuck once either. The part I had more trouble with was catching the beetle as somehow I missed the item I needed (despite thinking I had tried to pick up everything in the particular screen where that item was).

There were some puzzles that if you had a larger inventory and more freedom (as you would in a "normal" adventure game) I would probably be stuck for a while longer. Right at the start, opening the door is a good example. The whole way she managed to open the door does not make much sense IMO (power cable under a tile ??? Why not just grab one from the Computer...). But of course there was practically nothing else to do anyway.

Floating on the river with the log is not too bad, but considering the description when you look at the river mentions currents I don't think it is logical (and it is inconsistent when you you go around with the log in one side and the log is back at the center).

Regardless, most other puzzles were really well designed IMO.

Ivo.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Don't Look Back
http://www.kongregate.com/games/TerryCa ... -look-back

This is an earlier game from Terry Cavanagh, creator of last year's indie success VVVVVV. It's fun, challenging, and has an interesting ending. It's not very long, unless you really get stuck from some of the challenges.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

J T wrote:Don't Look Back

This is an earlier game from Terry Cavanagh, creator of last year's indie success VVVVVV. It's fun, challenging, and has an interesting ending. It's not very long, unless you really get stuck from some of the challenges.

I really enjoyed this one a while back. I played it a second time also a while ago to show someone the "story".

Ivo.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

Ivo wrote:
J T wrote:Don't Look Back

I really enjoyed this one a while back. I played it a second time also a while ago to show someone the "story".

Ivo.

Oh yeah, completed that one. It's a great game. Love the graphics, the sound and the concept.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I'd like to discuss the ending here in the thread, but only after the next title is suggested so that more people have played this one already.

Ivo.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

Ivo wrote:I'd like to discuss the ending here in the thread, but only after the next title is suggested so that more people have played this one already.

Ivo.

Me too :)
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Grey Matter
http://armorgames.com/play/2566/grey-matter

This one is made by Team Meat, the guys behind the now world famous Super Meat Boy. Grey Matter is a shmup without shmupping. In other words, you don't shoot stuff, but it totally feels like a shmup. Instead of shooting, you have to run into your enemies when they are not firing at you, and you get bonus points for chaining together attacks. Instead of firing, your buttons allow you to boost, or go into slow motion. The controls are tight and though it's only a single screen game, it's still a hell of a lot of fun to play.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Niode wrote:
Ivo wrote:I'd like to discuss the ending here in the thread, but only after the next title is suggested so that more people have played this one already.

Ivo.

Me too :)

Sometimes I wish we had spoiler tags (I remember asking about them once, so I presume this forum does not support them).

To those who know a related tale from Greek mythology, a good part of this game makes more sense. I like the subtle touch that the first enemy you meet is a snake. The graphics are poor but you will recognize the 1st boss as a huge dog as well, identify the final boss as a particular big baddy, and will relate the (titular) handicap of the final part of the game.

Of course, being the great gamer (read: you have infinite lives), you one up the baddies (eventually) and unlike in the Greek version are not tricked until you get back to the first screen. And then...

So... Interpretations of the ending? I know someone thought that the ending was also part of the strong "Don't look back" message in the sense of "You should move on". The ending really hit me as I somewhat wanted things to go well for the protagonist unlike what happens in the Greek version (Greeks were really into bad endings!) and thought this was what was going to happen until the last screen.

Ivo.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Hot Throttle
http://games.adultswim.com/hot-throttle ... -game.html

I don't know what to say about this other than this game is weird as shit. You are a one of many hot, sweaty, naked men that think they are a race car. It's made by the game designer Cactus, so I guess this sort of strangeness should be expected, maybe?
Last edited by J T on Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

As I write this, I'm still cringing from playing Hot Throttle...

Grey Matter is a cool and simple concept well executed though.

Ivo.