A new browser game every few days

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
J T
Next-Gen

Re: A new browser game every few days

Post by J T »

The Dream Machine
http://www.thedreammachine.se/

The graphics for The Dream Machine are hand constructed out of clay and cardboard, then digitized for the game. It's a cool effect that we don't see very often (with a few notable exceptions: The Neverhood, Clayfighters, And Yet It Moves). This is a point and click adventure game. The unique approach to the graphic design give it a very distinct feel.
Last edited by J T on Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I managed to get to 7 meters on Qwop some times, but not always, and after some 5 metres or so it generally all goes horribly, horribly wrong...

I wonder if anyone ever managed to get to 100 meters (just saw on youtube, of course someone did it already).

Ivo.
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

Ivo wrote:I managed to get to 7 meters on Qwop some times, but not always, and after some 5 metres or so it generally all goes horribly, horribly wrong...

I wonder if anyone ever managed to get to 100 meters (just saw on youtube, of course someone did it already).

Ivo.

Got an idea from YouTube and managed to get 9.7 meters.

Let's do it again!

EDIT: Got 25.6 meters. I'm done. :P
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Rock, Paper, Scissors: You VS The Computer
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/scie ... ssors.html

This is the most exciting game of Rock, Paper, Scissors I have ever played. The rules are the same as always, but you play an artificial intelligence that is trained to look for patterns in the way that people play this game. It can examine your personal patterns of play and it can examine the aggregated patterns of play of the many humans it has played. It then calculates probabilities about how you will behave and ventures a guess. The best thing is that you can click a button to "see what the computer is thinking" and it will explain its rationale for its choices. You'll be surprised at how well it can fake you out when you think you are throwing it a curveball.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

In Rock Paper Scissor, I decided to play to 21 points as an end point for me VS the veteran computer player. I won with 21 points, 14 ties, and 14 computer wins. Not bad. The thing is smart though. It got me a lot in the beginning, but I kind of figured out some of its moves in the end and was able to make a good comeback.

This exhibits the pros and cons of playing to the averages. It will be able to beat an average player, but I soon realized the kinds of tricks that the average player tries to pull on the computer and was able to second guess how it would respond to those. I wonder if it eventually makes a decision to look only at your personal data and ignores the aggregated data? I think it would have been better off doing that in the later matches before we finished.

This brings up some interesting points about artificial intelligence though. You gain a lot by playing the averages, but you lose a lot when playing an expert. Playing experts requires understanding how that person plays more than understanding how people play in general. It's this whole back and forth between the nomothetical and the ideographic. This little program is really cool.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Give Up Robot 2
http://games.adultswim.com/give-up-robo ... -game.html

If they turn this into a full length, this could be the next Super Meat Boy. It has that similar sort of fun difficulty and expert play control. It feels sort of like a cross between Super Meat Boy, the original Bionic Commando, and the original Blaster Master. If that's not enough of an endorsement to get you to try this excellent game, I don't know what is. I could toss in that this also won Gamasutra's indie game of the year award, if you care about that sort of thing. Bottomline: it's a great game and you should play it.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Katamari Hack
http://kathack.com/

Have you ever thought that Racketboy would make a great star in the solar system? Well, now you can make a Katamari out of this page or any others using the Katamari Hack javascript. I just read about this on Kotaku and thought I would share. I think you will need to use Chrome as your browser to get it to work.

Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Just finished the 50 levels of Give up, Robot (normal difficulty) and will now continue on this one. The first was rather good, but mercifully short.

I don't know if I would want this kind of game to be... "full length"!

Ivo.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

J T wrote:Give Up Robot 2
http://games.adultswim.com/give-up-robo ... -game.html

If they turn this into a full length, this could be the next Super Meat Boy.

If you liked Give Up Robot 2's music, then here's a link to the soundtrack for you.

http://mattmakesgames.com/soundtracks/G ... dtrack.zip
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I finished the normal difficulty of Give Up Robot 2 yesterday. It is indeed rather good. I don't know if I could take much more punishment and still have fun though, so again not sure the game would stay good if it was longer.

The music was ok but the game was very good :) I could do with less flashing colours and so on though, a bit too psychedelic.

Ivo.