Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
JC48573
128-bit

My dilemma with original vs ports

by JC48573 Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:50 am

I've been thinking about buying some of the original copies of the ports such as Persona, Symphony of the Night, or Valkyrie Profile. I was wondering if you guys can give me some opinions.

I did purchase Valkyrie Profile psx just today for 50 dollars, so right now I'm debating if I should get Persona for the psx. You guys think I did the right choice with Valkyrie Profile because I own the psp version.
Jonesy47
16-bit

Re: My dilemma with original vs ports

by Jonesy47 Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:00 am

Valkyrie Profile is a debatable port. CG cutscenes vs anime cutscenes. 16:9 vs 4:3 screen sizes. Its honestly preference.

Symphony of the night, the changes are almost negligible. Same screen size for both. There are a few differences in translation but both are excellent games. Id choose the psp version just for the english translated Rondo of Blood.

Persona is like Valkyrie Profile, minus the cut scene differences. Whichever screen perspective suits your fancy.

OF COURSE, the biggest thing for myself is playing on the go or playing on a tv screen.
Either way, any of these comes down to preference.
Systems: ATARI 2600 - NES - FAMICOM - SNES - N64 - GC - WII - GENESIS - SEGACD - SATURN - DREAMCAST - PSX - PS2 - PS3 - XBOX - XBOX 360 - GB - GBC - GBA - DS - PSP - NEOGEOPOCKET
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

by Bradtemple87 Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:08 am

The ports are great if you are not a stickler for minor differences :)
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
JC48573
128-bit

by JC48573 Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:10 am

Bradtemple87 wrote:The ports are great if you are not a stickler for minor differences :)

I think you are a messenger from God. You know what, I might think about selling original Valkyrie. I just want to see the difference.
Last edited by JC48573 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

by Bradtemple87 Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:13 am

JC48573 wrote:
Bradtemple87 wrote:The ports are great if you are not a stickler for minor differences :)

I think you are a messenger from God.

I noticed you are from CA, if you live near the Bay Area you should come to our BBQ on the 15th. Check the thread for the details
MY Sale/Trade Thread
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:29 am

JC48573 wrote:I've been thinking about buying some of the original copies of the ports such as Persona, Symphony of the Night, or Valkyrie Profile. I was wondering if you guys can give me some opinions.

I did purchase Valkyrie Profile psx just today for 50 dollars, so right now I'm debating if I should get Persona for the psx. You guys think I did the right choice with Valkyrie Profile because I own the psp version.

Persona I'd say you should get the PSP version. It adds back in content that was in the JP original but cut in the US PSX release, as well as undoing some of the sketchy localization that Atlus USA did back before they realized how to be awesome (one of the characters becomes black in the US version). About the only potential downside is the soundtrack got changed when it was ported to the PSP to fit in with the style of Persona 3 & 4, so if you were a huge fan of the original music then you might be disappointed.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

by Bradtemple87 Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:55 am

MrPopo wrote:
JC48573 wrote:I've been thinking about buying some of the original copies of the ports such as Persona, Symphony of the Night, or Valkyrie Profile. I was wondering if you guys can give me some opinions.

Persona I'd say you should get the PSP version. It adds back in content that was in the JP original but cut in the US PSX release, as well as undoing some of the sketchy localization that Atlus USA did back before they realized how to be awesome (one of the characters becomes black in the US version). About the only potential downside is the soundtrack got changed when it was ported to the PSP to fit in with the style of Persona 3 & 4, so if you were a huge fan of the original music then you might be disappointed.

Yes the psp version is very slick. The music is still great though, just different. On the upside it does include a soundtrack disc :D
MY Sale/Trade Thread
Soloman
8-bit

by Soloman Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:54 am

So far pretty much every PSP port of an old RPG has been better than the original. The fact that it's portable (I've noticed my attention span for RPGs dwindling) is a huge plus because I always devote about an hour to these kinds of games while I'm laying in bed trying to sleep.
Return to General Gaming