Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
mjmjr25

Re: Video Game Console Chronology - Magnavox Odyssey to DSi XL

by mjmjr25 Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:02 pm

alienjesus wrote:
Hobie-wan wrote:If C64 is going to be on there even though it's really a computer, then Vic-20 (1980) probably should be.

If we're having Commodore 64, Vic 20 and the likes, then this list is gonna need a lot of computers added. ZX Spectrum, Atari ST, Amiga, Dragon 32, and many many more....

Also, Gizmondo, N-Gage, Pokemon Mini, R-Zone, Game.com

Are we counting the iQue player?

How about Casio Loopy? Mattel Hyperscan? How obscure are we going here?

Many informative/valid points. I think what I may do, is diversify the list then.

1) Cartridge/CD/GD rom Consoles
2) Handhelds w/cartridge
3) Handhelds preloaded
4) Consoles preloaded
5) Comp/Mac/PC, etc

...or, as there are literally dozens being listed that I've never heard of, simply break it down into two groups, consoles/systems/handhelds that have sold 250,000 (arbitrary number) units or more and those that have not.

The idea is to have an accessible master list, something that outlines the evolution of gaming from Pong to the shit we have today w/Kinect and Wii motion. Maybe it already exists, and if it does, then this is futile - if it does not, then I'm more than happy and willing to put work into combing these posts and working toward creating a master working and functional list.
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:04 pm

For awhile I have considered collecting every console/handheld made...

He said "every".

To be honest, I think that is nearly impossible. Perhaps setting some sort of boundary. Maybe only pursue consoles that sold over 10,000 units (that would at least include stuff like the Super Grafx and N64DD)? Since it would also be extremely difficult and redundant to collect consoles from regions like China and Korea, perhaps cut those consoles out. Furthermore, why collect European versions of consoles that are generally the same as the US versions, but with lesser libraries? Maybe stick to JUST US and Japanese game consoles. You would be getting a ton of obscure stuff, but at least you will have set an attainable goal.

...or, as there are literally dozens being listed that I've never heard of, simply break it down into two groups, consoles/systems/handhelds that have sold 250,000 (arbitrary number) units or more and those that have not.

I noticed this after I posted. This is a good idea, although I do think 250,000 units sold would limit you beyond what you are trying to do. For example, the N64DD sold a bit over 15,000 units. It is hard to find one, but not impossible at all. WHEN you find one, the feeling you get of excitement is part of what makes collecting things so fun. When you find stuff like the N64DD, SG-1000, Super Grafx, PC Engine Shuttle, Wondermega (either model), front loading Neo Geo CD, etc., you will be happy you set the bar to a lower (but still attainable) number.
Last edited by Breetai on Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:07 pm

OK, but if we're doing a thorough masterlist, then excluding such major sellers as the game boy pocket because they aren't different enough but including consoles with different names between regions seems counter-productive.

Why does the Super Famicom deserve extra mention over the japanese sega saturn, which had plenty of exclusive games but isn't referred to seperately on the list. Just compile identical consoles with different regional names into one entry imo.

E.G NES/ Famicom
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:18 pm

Here is the website of someone who did something very similar to what you are thinking of doing. He documented everything very well, and his pictures are wonderful. Although he has since sold off his collection, he still has his site up:

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/index.html
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:06 am

I noticed this after I posted. This is a good idea, although I do think 250,000 units sold would limit you beyond what you are trying to do. For example, the N64DD sold a bit over 15,000 units. It is hard to find one, but not impossible at all. WHEN you find one, the feeling you get of excitement is part of what makes collecting things so fun. When you find stuff like the N64DD, SG-1000, Super Grafx, PC Engine Shuttle, Wondermega (either model), front loading Neo Geo CD, etc., you will be happy you set the bar to a lower (but still attainable) number.

Thanks, yeah, wasn't sure what number to go with. I have about 1/5 of the initial list I posted and thought this was do-able, now while still do-able would be quite a bit more of a project than I thought - but still going to update this. Thanks for the link to that guys site - WOW! Glory - too bad he had to sell.

@alienjesus - the gameboy pocket was not left off intentionally, as stated in the 2nd paragraph of first post, I know the list is missing things many things, the idea is to point them out.

Furthermore, It's not gonna be perfect, a minor variation to one is major variation to another and vice-versa. In regard to the Saturns, I had started to mention the many releases of the Saturn and see that my thought stopped mid-post on that one. My fear was getting too involved in all of the off-shoot 3rd party clone consoles, versions of consoles released specifically in Korea, Thailand, etc, but essentially the exact same system and functionality. Again and repeating here, this isn't perfect, I didn't post saying "Here is the list of every console made", I posted quite the opposite, post what you know is missing and hopefully with community work and time put in, a definitive basework could be established.

In hindsight, I should've initially posted a topic to establish parameters (consoles, handhelds, units sold, regional difference, same console-improved version released, etc) and then started to compile the list. I may do that yet...
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:39 am

mjmjr25 wrote:

Thanks, yeah, wasn't sure what number to go with. I have about 1/5 of the initial list I posted and thought this was do-able, now while still do-able would be quite a bit more of a project than I thought - but still going to update this. Thanks for the link to that guys site - WOW! Glory - too bad he had to sell.

@alienjesus - the gameboy pocket was not left off intentionally, as stated in the 2nd paragraph of first post, I know the list is missing things many things, the idea is to point them out.

Furthermore, It's not gonna be perfect, a minor variation to one is major variation to another and vice-versa. In regard to the Saturns, I had started to mention the many releases of the Saturn and see that my thought stopped mid-post on that one. My fear was getting too involved in all of the off-shoot 3rd party clone consoles, versions of consoles released specifically in Korea, Thailand, etc, but essentially the exact same system and functionality. Again and repeating here, this isn't perfect, I didn't post saying "Here is the list of every console made", I posted quite the opposite, post what you know is missing and hopefully with community work and time put in, a definitive basework could be established.

In hindsight, I should've initially posted a topic to establish parameters (consoles, handhelds, units sold, regional difference, same console-improved version released, etc) and then started to compile the list. I may do that yet...

It wasn't really that I wanted you to list all the seperate regional models - in fact, it was more that I thought you should consolidate all regions into one - list the Famicom and NES as one console. Feel free to list both names, but tbh, it doesnt offer a whole lot different to any other japanese version of a console.

Anyhow, I wish you luck completing this list. Whenever parameters are decided, I'm sure people will give you PLENTY of recommendations for them :p
Jamisonia
128-bit

by Jamisonia Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:40 pm

One glaring addition I need to make, that I can't believe nobody has said yet.... The Panasonic 3DO. I don't know if you want to seperate the 3DO models, but at least one version of it should be on that list.
xan_racketBOY_fan
Next-Gen

by xan_racketBOY_fan Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:20 pm

No Game Boy Light?
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:19 pm

Jamisonia wrote:One glaring addition I need to make, that I can't believe nobody has said yet.... The Panasonic 3DO. I don't know if you want to seperate the 3DO models, but at least one version of it should be on that list.

Not counting the Creative 3DO PC card, I think there are four variations that were released (highlighted because there are some that were not released, like the AT&T 3DO)? Panasonic FZ-1, Panasonic FZ-10, Goldstar (whatever the model name is) and the Sanyo T.R.Y.

About setting perimeters, the site that I linked to actually has some really well thought out ones.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:12 pm

The OP can be an arduous task of constant update edits, so many systems to categorize. What would be the cutoff considering older computers have cartridge ports and some consoles have add on keyboards. I feel the C64 is the most neglected "game console", some don't realize all the cart games available.

Breetai wrote:Here is the website of someone who did something very similar to what you are thinking of doing. He documented everything very well, and his pictures are wonderful. Although he has since sold off his collection, he still has his site up:

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/index.html

:shock: BOOKMARKED!
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Return to General Gaming