Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: Video Game Console Chronology - Magnavox Odyssey to DSi XL

by Hobie-wan Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:41 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:
dsheinem wrote:
1978 - Atari Touch Me

also, is this the best name ever for a console?

It is, then sadly we realize it's basically simon says :cry:

Actually, Simon is a clone of Touch Me.

Touch me was an arcade game first in 74. The portable Touch Me and Simon came out in 78 with the improvements of 4 colored quadrants and nicer differentiated tones.
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:48 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:[...]not include minor variants (color changes like say w/the N64, smaller models, etc)
Okay. No Game Boy Pocket.

Edit: And as far as I know, the 2600 Jr. is just a smaller model and didn't include any extra features. I'd say get rid of it unless you really want it on the list.
mjmjr25 wrote:[...]made the experience on that console much better[...]

What about the Japanese monochromatic Game Boy with a back-lit screen? And what about the Game Boy Color?
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:57 pm

Opa Opa wrote:
mjmjr25 wrote:[...]not include minor variants (color changes like say w/the N64, smaller models, etc)
Okay. No Game Boy Pocket.

Edit: And as far as I know, the 2600 Jr. is just a smaller model and didn't include any extra features. I'd say get rid of it unless you really want it on the list.
mjmjr25 wrote:[...]made the experience on that console much better[...]

What about the Japanese monochromatic Game Boy with a back-lit screen? And what about the Game Boy Color?

1998 - Gameboy Color (plays original gameboy games also)

Got that one, others will be included when I update - thanks!
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:58 pm

moved this to "general gaming" - it is certainly ON topic. :D
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:15 pm

Why have every Nintendo DS on the list? The DS Lite's are just casing and screen brightness changes. I don't know if that significantly enhances the experience (and it would actually degrade the experience for those who didn't like the smaller size of the handheld). However, I can agree to the DSi being on the list because it has the capability of downloading games from the DSi shop so this kinda is a step up not just a minor variant.

And I don't know if all of the PSP's should be on there as well seeing as the only changes were minor differences (i.e. screen brightness, size, etc.). Every PSP does the same thing (or has the same capabilities) as far as I know. (Hopefully others can enlighten me if I'm wrong.)

I'm not trying to tear down the list but I'm trying to go by the rules you set. It might be easier to name every console/handheld and all its variants as opposed to breaking up the list by significant changes.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:36 pm

If C64 is going to be on there even though it's really a computer, then Vic-20 (1980) probably should be.

For the DC entry, the (0) and (1) labeled models all boot backups with no issues. (2) models are hit and miss with the cutoff for the ones that definitely work being October or November 2000.

Wondermega/X'eye
Mega Jet
Sharp X1 Twin that played PCE cards
NEC-PCKD863G combo screen/PCE thing
Duo R
Duo RX

I would include the Gamecubes with and without the digital out as well as the different PS3 variations with and without backwards compatibility.

360 slim.
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:40 pm

Opa Opa wrote:Sega SG-1000?

Yeah, that is the first thing I noticed. When "Mark III" was put in the list, why wasn't a search done for "Mark I" and "Mark II"? Both are missing.

Every single Nintendo system before the Famicom is missing as well. There is no distinction between the model 1 and 2 Neo Geo CD. No distinction between Sega Mega CD 1 and 2. No Wondermega (there are actually three models, if you include the American release. Was it also released in the EU?)... No Megajet... Aladdin, Super Aladdin, Vistar, etc. I didn't bother to look at the list further.

I think the OP might be realizing this list will be longer than he ever imagined...
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

by jmbarnes101 Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:46 pm

Missing is the Amiga and its many variations, the N-Gage, and the game.com handheld along with a bunch of others. A good place to look is gamefaqs.com and take a look at their other consoles. There is a lot of different items in there.

The one thing this list points out is how many systems need to be covered in the 101 series.
Last edited by jmbarnes101 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14867&p=149112#p149112

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), Gamecube (Pokemon, Purple JPN modded), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega CDX, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x)
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:47 pm

N-Gage?!

edit:
jmbarnes101 wrote:Missing is the Amiga and its many variations, the N-Gage,[...]

I saw you put "N-Have". I never heard of that and thought it was something completely different. :)
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:If C64 is going to be on there even though it's really a computer, then Vic-20 (1980) probably should be.

If we're having Commodore 64, Vic 20 and the likes, then this list is gonna need a lot of computers added. ZX Spectrum, Atari ST, Amiga, Dragon 32, and many many more....

Also, Gizmondo, N-Gage, Pokemon Mini, R-Zone, Game.com

Are we counting the iQue player?

How about Casio Loopy? Mattel Hyperscan? How obscure are we going here?

Edit: If we're being so pedantic as to count consoles with slightly different names between regions, then removing DS Lite and Game Boy Pocket from the list seems bloody stupid to me. Why does PSP Slim and lite deserve a spot when the game boy pocket (which in my opinion has pretty significant benefits over the brick - a screen you can see, less battery consumption, actual portable size) is being ignobly excluded.
Return to General Gaming