Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: You ever clean all your games in one day?

by fastbilly1 Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:08 pm

Ive cleaned all of my NES games in one day - I was running a retrogaming room and figured I had the down time why not. Eraser and alcohol. It took me about 8 hours to do 200 games (with distractions).

Im not sure how I am going to clean my Atari carts, since Im not dead sure how to open them.
s1mplehumar
Next-Gen

by s1mplehumar Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:30 pm

Like others have mentioned, I too typically clean games as they are admitted into my home. The only games that need definite cleaning are a Rubbermaid full of duplicate 2600 carts (probably 40 or so). I still haven't got around to them.

I'm also pretty obsessive with keeping my controllers clean and free of "hand grease," food crumbs, and other residues. Most of my controllers get cracked open and scrubbed down every couple of years or so. Strangely enough, I just disassembled and thoroughly cleaned 3 64 pads last night. :)
Nintendo ID, PSN, XBL: Eronnicus * Steam ID: s1mplehumar * Switch Friend Code: SW-3270-7921-5525
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:49 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:Im not sure how I am going to clean my Atari carts, since Im not dead sure how to open them.

They're not that bad but they are kind of a pain to keep open.
If you wanted I could post some pics on how to clean them.
ChuChu Flamingo
64-bit

by ChuChu Flamingo Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:50 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:Ive cleaned all of my NES games in one day - I was running a retrogaming room and figured I had the down time why not. Eraser and alcohol. It took me about 8 hours to do 200 games (with distractions).

Im not sure how I am going to clean my Atari carts, since Im not dead sure how to open them.

Some atari 2600 carts have a sliding mechanism to protect the connector. The way to get it open is to put a small flat head screwdriver in one of the holes and push down. Good luck with the cleaning :D
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:15 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:Ive cleaned all of my NES games in one day - I was running a retrogaming room and figured I had the down time why not. Eraser and alcohol. It took me about 8 hours to do 200 games (with distractions).

The problem with all (not 100% sure on 5200, some 3rd party 2600 are ok) Atari made carts is that the screws are under the label so getting them open for a really good clean is difficult to impossible without messing them up cosmetically. As mentioned, if it is an actual Atari cart with a shutter you can use a screwdriver or whatnot in the 2 small slots to release the mechanism, then push it in and hold while you clean. Some 3rd party 2600 carts don't have the shutter, just the pins to open the console side.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:42 pm

When I get around to cleaning them sometime this summer - Im giving yall pms.
Return to General Gaming