Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
yomomma1
128-bit

Re: You ever clean all your games in one day?

by yomomma1 Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:50 pm

I use a white eraser as it is finer. I haven't spent all day cleaning my games, because I usually clean them after buying them or before playing them after a long time of it sitting on a shelf. I have however, spent hours cleaning a single game though. I swear some people must keep their carts into a murky lake for a few years
darthmunky
Next-Gen

by darthmunky Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:37 pm

I did all my NES and SNES games about 7 or 8 years ago. That was when I started getting into retro gaming again and started collecting again. Ever since, I just clean them as I buy them.
- Check out my Trade List
- Check out my Want List
- My GameTZ feedback
- My eBay feedback
l0whit07
64-bit

by l0whit07 Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:57 pm

Agreed that cleaning them as you buy them is the way to go. If you do this you never get backed up and have to have a field day and you also don't have dirty shit sitting in your house.

I kind of enjoy cleaning old games and systems. It's a weird sense of accomplishment. Goo-Gone was the best accidental find ever. Goo-Gone, Alcohol and a Magic Eraser can pretty much clean anything.
pjvdg
24-bit

by pjvdg Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:53 pm

I tend to clean them when as soon as I get home after buying them. Once bought a genesis where I had to disassemble the controllers to get them decently cleaned. Anyway, now and then I go through the cart collection and clean them, but when looking at the boxart I'm tempted to start playing some of those old games again. So a cleaning job that should take only a few hours tends to last at least a day or more :)
----------------------------------------------------------
Manage your retro collection on your iPhone or iPod Touch:

Others:
Jamisonia
128-bit

by Jamisonia Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:46 am

I always try to remove corrosion from any cart I buy. I find that even the cleanest carts always seem to have a thin black layer on them. My method is to use a little brasso to polish the contacts, then wipe that down with a dry shop towel, then I wipe with a 93% alcohol soaked cloth to remove any remaining polish, then another dry swipe with a shop towel, then I spray with air to remove any towel particles. There is, in my opinion, a difference between cleaning carts and polishing carts, and almost all carts need to be polished.
ChuChu Flamingo
64-bit

by ChuChu Flamingo Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:09 pm

I really do not see a point grinding down a layer with brasso unless it doesn't work at all or has glitches.

As for me I cleaned all my games a few years back. One day for each console. Contact cleaner is my choice for cleaning the connectors, nice and easy. Nintendo 64 would have to be the most annoying, as you have to unscrew the back, then unscrew the metal plate.

I also make it a habit to clean any new games I receive. I also recommend cleaning your cartridge slot. I would not want my hard work to go down the drain.
Jamisonia
128-bit

by Jamisonia Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:16 pm

ChuChu Flamingo wrote:I really do not see a point grinding down a layer with brasso unless it doesn't work at all or has glitches.

As for me I cleaned all my games a few years back. One day for each console. Contact cleaner is my choice for cleaning the connectors, nice and easy. Nintendo 64 would have to be the most annoying, as you have to unscrew the back, then unscrew the metal plate.

I also make it a habit to clean any new games I receive. I also recommend cleaning your cartridge slot. I would not want my hard work to go down the drain.

because corrosion is the difference between a game working like it did on first day, and the little cartridge annoyances many of us just put up with today. We're talking about polishing metal here, not grinding it away. Reactive metal needs polished to perform at peak.
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:35 pm

ChuChu Flamingo wrote:I really do not see a point grinding down a layer with brasso unless it doesn't work at all or has glitches.

I agree with this. Kinda overkill but do whatever you want though.
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

by optmusprimenumber Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:47 pm

a quick sanding with a little piece of fine grit sand paper seems to work every time for me
ChuChu Flamingo
64-bit

by ChuChu Flamingo Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:02 pm

Jamisonia wrote:

because corrosion is the difference between a game working like it did on first day, and the little cartridge annoyances many of us just put up with today. We're talking about polishing metal here, not grinding it away. Reactive metal needs polished to perform at peak.

To get rid of that corrosion you are removing the metal that has been corroded and a little more. Metal polish does have a fine grit. I am not against it, as it can make a otherwise unplayable cart, playable. Just seems overkill if the cart plays fine after cleaning with contact cleaner. Just saiyan.

Return to General Gaming