Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
JC48573
128-bit

Has anyone tried Novus Scratch Remover?

by JC48573 Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:31 am

Tap Plastics happens to be near my place, so I just want to know if they do reduce the amount of scratches on the disc. I have some discs that look like they've been gauged (like demos and such), but I don't want to send it to skippydisc or even suredisc as it costs $$ to repair them.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Has anyone tried Novus Scratch Remover?

by CRTGAMER Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:24 am

Have not tried that. Get Plastic Polish, as the kind used for convertible top plastic windows.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Segatari2002
24-bit

by Segatari2002 Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:05 am

I cannot say enough positives about Novus! I discovered this stuff while I was helping to manage our local retro game store here in Virginia Beach, (Cool Stuff, Inc., stop by and give it a look if you're ever in the area!), this stuff is pure magic! I recently used it personally to bring a copy of Marvel vs Capcom 2 on Dreamcast back from the dead. The main trick I can tell you is to pour a little bit if this stuff out on a flat surface and then let it semi dry out before using it, then dab a little on your finger and start small circles around the discs surface until its fully worked in and no longer visible. I can personally say this stuff will remove everything short of a truly deep, deep gouge without much effort at all when done correctly. Don't mean to go on and on like some infomercial salesman but this stuff is worth its pricetag a million times over for a retro game collector like myself.
Currently owned; Colecovision, Master System, TG-16/CD, SNES, Genesis/CD Mk1/32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, Jaguar/CD, Xbox, Wii, and PS3!!!

Dreamcast Tracker; 209 of 248 NTSC-U games collected.

My B/S/T Thread; viewtopic.php?f=22&t=31756

Also, if anyone has the case art for Popful Mail (Sega CD), I'd like to speak with you!
JC48573
128-bit

by JC48573 Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:04 pm

^^I heard that it makes scratches less noticeable right?
c0wb0y
24-bit

by c0wb0y Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:56 pm

It is a very good product. I use it to polish up pinball playfields and plastics, and I used it in a former job when I was a picture framer. It does a great job of removing scratches.
I've never used it on a disc, but may try it sometime soon.
One thing to mention... there are 3 grades of Novus.
When removing bad scratches I would start with Novus 3, then step down to Novus 2, then finish off with Novus 1.
Novus 3 contains larger abrasive bits in the product. I would avoid Novus 3 as you might worsen the condition of the game disc.
Novus 2 is *probably* ideal for polishing light scratches out of a game disc.
If you want to be more thorough, you can use Novus 1 as the final step to really polish out any of the micro scratches left by Novus 2.

Another commenter suggested letting it dry. I usually found that left me polishing the surface longer to get the dried abrasive off. If you do that with a game disc, you might want to try it on a test disc like Madden XX. Choose a year. :)

*edit - figured I should say I think Novus 2 is probably ideal based on my experience with the product elsewhere.
Systems: Pong, Odyssey2, Atari 2600, NES, CDX, SNES, N64, Saturn, DC, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, GCN, Wii, Xbox360, OUYA
Handhelds: GB, GBC, GBA, DS lite, DSi, Virtual Boy (<< is that even a portable?)
EM Pinballs: Bally Dixieland, Gottlieb Flying Carpet
SS Pinball: GTB Circus, GTB Count-Down, GTB Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Stern Lectronamo, Stern Galaxy, Bally Black Pyramid
JC48573
128-bit

by JC48573 Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:09 pm

c0wb0y wrote:It is a very good product. I use it to polish up pinball playfields and plastics, and I used it in a former job when I was a picture framer. It does a great job of removing scratches.
I've never used it on a disc, but may try it sometime soon.
One thing to mention... there are 3 grades of Novus.
When removing bad scratches I would start with Novus 3, then step down to Novus 2, then finish off with Novus 1.
Novus 3 contains larger abrasive bits in the product. I would avoid Novus 3 as you might worsen the condition of the game disc.
Novus 2 is *probably* ideal for polishing light scratches out of a game disc.
If you want to be more thorough, you can use Novus 1 as the final step to really polish out any of the micro scratches left by Novus 2.

Another commenter suggested letting it dry. I usually found that left me polishing the surface longer to get the dried abrasive off. If you do that with a game disc, you might want to try it on a test disc like Madden XX. Choose a year. :)

*edit - figured I should say I think Novus 2 is probably ideal based on my experience with the product elsewhere.

There is a actually a video at Tap Plastics I think where they give a tutorial on how to clean CD/DVDs using the novus, but I just want to know what it really does to the plastic. Does it convert it to finer little scratches or does it look like brand new?

I heard Meguiar's PlastX is really good too.

Ok, so I guess there's no real product that can repair discs to look brand new, but it will to a working condition. I know professional resurfaces like suredisc or skippydisc can make (or shave off) it look brand new, but not entirely. You can actually notice very very minute little scratches that kinda reflects if you have the right lighting and angle. I mean, you need like a damn microscope in order to see those scratches, so you must be special if you do see "some."
Return to General Gaming