Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Re: I'm in China, do me a favor? (Shenmue related)

by CFFJR Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:14 am

Heh, well, I'm sorry to say my reason will probably bore both of you. :lol:

Basically, Nerima is the setting of my favorite japanese comic, that I really loved when I was younger. The creator of said comic also lives there.

Simply put, I've always been curious what the city looks like and if it has anything special about it.

I guess that's not really different from the theme of the topic though.

Thanks for filling me in. :D
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:22 am

ProfessorK wrote:I hear you. I've never left the US' East coast. :?

You need to get on that my friend!

Get yourself to Vegas, at the very least. :D
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

by hashiriya1 Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:56 am

CFFJR wrote:
Simply put, I've always been curious what the city looks like and if it has anything special about it.

Sorry to let you down, but there really isn't anything special there. Just another Tokyo district.

If you are bored or very curious, take a virtual tour via Google Street View.

Here, I will drop you off in front of Nerima Station.
http://maps.google.co.jp/maps?hl=ja&ie= ... 9,,0,-1.51
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:29 pm

CFFJR wrote:Heh, well, I'm sorry to say my reason will probably bore both of you. :lol:

Basically, Nerima is the setting of my favorite japanese comic, that I really loved when I was younger. The creator of said comic also lives there.

I guess that's not really different from the theme of the topic though.

Thanks for filling me in. :D

Ranma 1/2? That's the only one I know of that takes place in Nerima district. I'm not really much of an anime guy, so I can't think of any more. Osamu Tezuka (the creator of Astro Boy) is also from Nerima.

It really isn't a special place that stands out over anything else in Tokyo. Just houses and apartments and stuff. It's where people live. It's not an exciting place to visit.
ProfessorK
64-bit

by ProfessorK Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:38 pm

CFFJR wrote:
ProfessorK wrote:I hear you. I've never left the US' East coast. :?

You need to get on that my friend!

Get yourself to Vegas, at the very least. :D

It's hard. I mean I'd love to, but with college and the fact that I'm only scraping by on a Wal-Mart salary... It's just hard.
Flake

by Flake Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:41 pm

Ranma 1/2 FTW - Rumiko Takahashi's Nerima Wrecking Crew (the sheer property damage in that show is astonishing).

I have been to Hong Kong several times - a few things you will not find in a travel guide:

The best bars are in Wanchai. The 'Devils Advocate' in particular is quite nice. It is full of surly UK expats who always have crazy ass stories to share. Just be careful in that area after dark - the brothel scene is pretty obscene and I have had to shove more than one filippina roughly away to get them to leave me alone.

One of the most visitor friendly restaurants that serves authentic food is also in Wanchai - Ironically it is called 'American Food Restaurant'. It's all fantastic Guangzhou fare, though.

The Hong Kong Jockey Club in Happy Valley is breathtaking and offers the absolute finest view of the skyline from the ground.

All the best arcade I could find were along the same path as the Kennedy Street trolley. They are usually little holes in the wall, set up like grimier versions of Japanese arcades. Their prices are incredibly fair, though.

Do not bother buying electronics. You will be ripped off.

Outside the ferry station for kowloon, you 'll see a shopping mall. Inside is the worlds largest Toys R Us. It is enough to bring your inner child to the forefront.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

by hashiriya1 Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:22 pm

Breetai wrote: Osamu Tezuka (the creator of Astro Boy) is also from Nerima..

He's from Osaka.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:44 pm

:lol:

You guys told me exactly what I expected to hear.

Like I said, I was just curious. That virtual tour was cool though. Looks like a nice city.

And you're right, it is Ranma 1/2. I'm no anime fan either to be honest. However, I do like a very small handful of manga. I love comic books, and I got into manga a bit years back, but Ranma 1/2 is the only one that ever really stuck with me.
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:50 pm

hashiriya1 wrote:
Breetai wrote: Osamu Tezuka (the creator of Astro Boy) is also from Nerima..

He's from Osaka.

He left Osaka when he finished school and moved to Tokyo. He lived most of his life in Nerima, Tokyo. He raised his kids there and, as far as I know, lived there until he died. He made his home in Nerima. His animation studio that created Astro Boy is in Nerima, along with a lot of other animation studios. Japanese animation has its birthplace there.

Perhaps "from" wasn't the best word to use, but he certain made his home there.

Like I said, I was just curious. That virtual tour was cool though. Looks like a nice city.

It's okay. It's just a suburban part of Tokyo. Lots of people live there and commute into the more downtown areas. There are probably 10-20 train stations in Nerima. The one on the map was just one of them (the more "downtown" area). It's over an hour by bike to Akihabara, depending how fast you go and if you don't get lost. ;)
Return to General Gaming