Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
molotovwars
Next-Gen

I'm in China, do me a favor? (Shenmue related)

by molotovwars Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:05 pm

Hey I'm in China and I am just now realizing that wordpress.com is blocked here. That would never really concern me however there is a wordpress page called Real Shenmue (shenmuereal.wordpress.com) and I'll be going to Hong Kong the day after next.

I was hoping to go to some of the locations in Hong Kong that were featured in Shenmue 2. If anyone could copy and paste the list of places, along with maybe some text about the place like where it is or the author's comments that would be awesome.

On a related note, anyone here been to Hong Kong and tried to look at any of the Shenmue locations?
eSPy
64-bit

Re: I'm in China, do me a favor? (Shenmue related)

by eSPy Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:25 pm

is this page blocked? it lists quite alot
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewto ... f=3&t=1117

here are a few of the key locations:
* Aberdeen
* Gui Lin
* Kowloon
* Man Mo Temple
* Wan Chai
Last edited by eSPy on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atari 2600 Jr., NES, Gameboy, Genesis 1 and 2, Saturn, Virtual Boy, Gameboy Advance (with Supercard SD), Playstation (With Goldfinger), Nintendo 64, Playstation 2(modded), Nintendo DS (Fat) with Edge
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:26 pm

Enter the url of the website into this site: http://tinyurl.com/. This redirects the URL and often avoids the government internet blocks that China has. Give it a try. :)

FYI, Kowloon will be NOTHING like it was depicted in Shenmue II. The old city was destroyed in the 1990s I think, but there is some garden or museum there now. It's still interesting for sure!

I've been to Yokosuka in Japan, where the first Shenmue takes place.
Koroshiya

by Koroshiya Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:07 pm

Nothing in Hong Kong will be reminiscent of the way it was depicted in Shenmue 2. Victoria Harbour is the only place that is even close to recognizable, but the skyline has changed so much that the water is pretty much the only similarity. Other than a lot of tall buildings with ACs sticking out of the windows, you won't really have any nostalgic moments of Shenmue.

I hope you still enjoy Hong Kong though, it is one of my favorite cities. There is a lot to see and the food is amazing.

*Edit - I was thinking more about Shenmue 2 and now I remember that the real Man Mo Temple does look similar to the way it did in the game. The surrounding neighborhood is different, and the actual temple doesn't have as big of a courtyard as the one in S2 had. It's worth checking out if you have the time.
c0wb0y
24-bit

by c0wb0y Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:48 pm

I took a trip over the summer to HK and Guangzhou, just north of HK and Kowloon.
I had a work laptop. The access in HK was practically unrestricted as far as I could tell.
When I arrived at the hotel in Guangzhou, it was very difficult to surf gaming sites, social sites. I would see the page start to load, then would lose network connectivity for 10 minutes at a time until what I figured was a firewall imposed timeout expired.
Hopefully you have an easier time while in Hong Kong and Kowloon.
Enjoy your time there - it is beautiful. I spent a lot of time just walking around the city and various shopping districts. I even got to visit a couple of arcades. (Lots of fighter games - Street Fighter, etc.)
Systems: Pong, Odyssey2, Atari 2600, NES, CDX, SNES, N64, Saturn, DC, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, GCN, Wii, Xbox360, OUYA
Handhelds: GB, GBC, GBA, DS lite, DSi, Virtual Boy (<< is that even a portable?)
EM Pinballs: Bally Dixieland, Gottlieb Flying Carpet
SS Pinball: GTB Circus, GTB Count-Down, GTB Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Stern Lectronamo, Stern Galaxy, Bally Black Pyramid
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:15 am

Breetai wrote:I've been to Yokosuka in Japan, where the first Shenmue takes place.

Out of curiosity, have you ever been to Nerima?

Not at all related to Shenmue of course, but it is part of Tokyo, so it finally occurred to me that I should ask since you know Tokyo so well.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

by hashiriya1 Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:13 am

CFFJR wrote:
Breetai wrote:

I dated a girl who lived there (Nakamurabashi). I have been there quite a few times. Nothing special there other than the amusement park. Is there something there you want to see?
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:29 am

CFFJR wrote:
Breetai wrote:I've been to Yokosuka in Japan, where the first Shenmue takes place.

Not at all related to Shenmue of course, but it is part of Tokyo, so it finally occurred to me that I should ask since you know Tokyo so well.

Why do you ask about Nerima? I used to live in Nerima-ku at one point in the past (Oizumi Gakuen in 2006). It's a fairly bit ward in the northeast part of the main area of Tokyo, boarding Saitama prefixture. I've also worked there some.

So, yeah, I've been there. :D

It's mostly just suburban area. There's a smallish amusement park, wavepool, and.... uhhhmmmm... houses and apartments and shops. It's has easy connections to Ikebukuro and Shinjuku stations in.
Xonticus
128-bit

by Xonticus Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:29 am

This topic makes me want to travel more :-(
Got: Atari 2600, Atari 7800Pro, Commodore 64, Odyssey 2, Sega Master System, NES, Genesis Models 1-3, Nomad, Game Gear, Sega CD Model 1, Sega 32x, SuperNES, GameBoys, GameBoy Pocket, GBC, Sega Saturn Model 2, GBA, Nintendo 64, Playstation, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 2 Slim, Nintendo DS Lite, Xbox 360, Gamecube, PS3 Slim
ProfessorK
64-bit

by ProfessorK Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:36 am

Xonticus wrote:This topic makes me want to travel more :-(

I hear you. I've never left the US' East coast. :?
Return to General Gaming