Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
AppleQueso

Re: Games of this generation are not worth collecting

by AppleQueso Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:52 am

Yeah man games which are built around online modes are never collectible after their online services are shut down.

oh wait
Flake

by Flake Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:20 pm

There are a lot of things to gripe about this gen, but unless you can see into the future the topic statement is impossible to defend. Some things will be collectible, others will not. It is the same it has always been.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

by Weekend_Warrior Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:56 pm

8bit wrote:sadly the games worth collecting will not be the best games released.
Maybe not the standard edition releases. But I'm sure the limited collector's editions will become highly collectable in the future
"Welcome to the circus of values!"

Currently Playing: Crysis (360), Destiny demo (PS3), Roadblasters (MAME)
JC48573
128-bit

by JC48573 Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:03 pm

I've picked up games in the past where I still keep them around. This generation was more like I buy to trade/sell kinda thing. I never said this was a bad thing btw as I don't mind to have smaller library of mainly games I would most likely come back to.

Oh yea, this does not apply portable consoles. DS and PSP have brought some really good games as of late.
corn619
Next-Gen

by corn619 Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:31 pm

I don't collect games with the expectation of any financial gain. Once upon a time I would buy certain games with the hopes of it becoming collectible. Funny thing is I wouldn't even be a fan of the genre. This ended up being a major disappointment for my wallet. Almost every game I bought with collectors item in mind has decreased in value, with my GC collection being the exception .

Basically, most of my PS2 games have plummeted in value. Downloadable rereleases and companies like Game Quest Direct doing reprints of low print run games such as Fatal Frame, Shin Megami Tensei, Samurai Shodown Anthology, Disgaea, Rez, Shadow Hearts among many others have made rare games not so rare anymore.

The worst case of a 'collectable' game not ending up collectible has to be Devil Summoner 2. This so called very limited print run can be bought sealed at Gamestop for less than $20.00 now. Damn shame too because I bought 2 copies when it was released. So I feel buying games in hopes of there values increasing these days is foolish. I buy games to play nowadays, and boy what a backlog I have! Just my 2 cents.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

by Bradtemple87 Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:42 pm

corn619 wrote:I don't collect games with the expectation of any financial gain. Once upon a time I would buy certain games with the hopes of it becoming collectible. Funny thing is I wouldn't even be a fan of the genre. This ended up being a major disappointment for my wallet. Almost every game I bought with collectors item in mind has decreased in value, with my GC collection being the exception .

Basically, most of my PS2 games have plummeted in value. Downloadable rereleases and companies like Game Quest Direct doing reprints of low print run games such as Fatal Frame, Shin Megami Tensei, Samurai Shodown Anthology, Disgaea, Rez, Shadow Hearts among many others have made rare games not so rare anymore.

The worst case of a 'collectable' game not ending up collectible has to be Devil Summoner 2. This so called very limited print run can be bought sealed at Gamestop for less than $20.00 now. Damn shame too because I bought 2 copies when it was released. So I feel buying games in hopes of there values increasing these days is foolish. I buy games to play nowadays, and boy what a backlog I have! Just my 2 cents.

I have seen the same trend in my games
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
Return to General Gaming