Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Bootaaay
128-bit

Re: Games of this generation are not worth collecting

by Bootaaay Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:30 am

Imagine if down the line PSN or Xbox Live are discontinued and there's no way left to download the many unique and innovative titles available on those services; do you guys think a collector would be willing to pay a premium for a working PS3/360 with a hard-drive full of downloadable titles that are no longer available, or will these games be largely forgotten?
PSN; Bootaaay ---------------------------------------------------------------- XBL; B007444Y
jfrost
Next-Gen

by jfrost Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:32 am

I think that the "launch now, patch later" culture of this generation is what hurts more.
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

by optmusprimenumber Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:59 am

Bootaaay wrote:Imagine if down the line PSN or Xbox Live are discontinued and there's no way left to download the many unique and innovative titles available on those services; do you guys think a collector would be willing to pay a premium for a working PS3/360 with a hard-drive full of downloadable titles that are no longer available, or will these games be largely forgotten?

interesting...
final fight cd
Next-Gen

by final fight cd Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:59 am

Bootaaay wrote:Imagine if down the line PSN or Xbox Live are discontinued and there's no way left to download the many unique and innovative titles available on those services; do you guys think a collector would be willing to pay a premium for a working PS3/360 with a hard-drive full of downloadable titles that are no longer available, or will these games be largely forgotten?

that is an interesting thought. but i highly doubt xbla or psn will be discontinued anytime soon. but...if by chance it would happen, i would say that there would be no premium at all.
if you took a shit, please put it back
JordanPlayer
64-bit

by JordanPlayer Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:33 am

final fight cd wrote:

that is an interesting thought. but i highly doubt xbla or psn will be discontinued anytime soon. but...if by chance it would happen, i would say that there would be no premium at all.
Interestingly enough it is the pirating community that will save these titles. Many of these games have already been backed up and uploaded to torrent websites for download... not sure how but I think they can be played on modded consoles.
ChuChu Flamingo
64-bit

by ChuChu Flamingo Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:01 am

I am more interested in which will last longer, CD/DVD or Cartridge.

The race is on!
Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

by Weekend_Warrior Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:17 am

"Games of this generation are not worth collecting"

You don't think people were saying these exact same words 20 years ago when people were throwing their NES & SNES boxes away? "Legend of Zelda is a good game and all but nobody will ever care about this perfect-condition box and manual" Heh.
"Welcome to the circus of values!"

Currently Playing: Crysis (360), Destiny demo (PS3), Roadblasters (MAME)
8bit
Next-Gen

by 8bit Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:21 am

sadly the games worth collecting will not be the best games released.... it will always be the limited production games from noteworthy production companies *cough*atlus*cough*cave*cough*... etc... other than than that... a best bet is always nintendo franchises...
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
Itchyant
8-bit

by Itchyant Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:25 am

JC48573 wrote:I really don't see how a Call of Duty game is seen as a collector's item as opposed to a game like Metal Gear or Street Fighter.

it's funny, when metal gear was released i felt the same way of it as cod - ie, oversaturation. Not saying its not a great game, just the hype was everywhere.

Interesting thought on the xbox live games, lots on there i would hate to see lost...
gennss
128-bit

by gennss Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:57 am

Please say the same thing every generation. Its hard to take this thread seriously.
--
Gennss
--
Return to General Gaming