Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
fedexin
32-bit

Re: Buddhist Monk wants me to recommend him a console

by fedexin Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:37 am

So this begs the question; What kind of clergyman can afford a large HDTV, and has plenty of time for video games?
Consoles owned currently: Lynx model 1, Lynx model 2, TG-16, Turbo Express w/TV Tuner, PS3, PS2, XBox 360, Neo-Geo AES (UniBios), Neo-Geo AES (U), Virtual Boy, PSP, GBA, DS, DS Lite, N64, Saturn, Wii, Mini Neo-Geo MVS (MAME), Asteroids standup, Defender cocktail, Street Fighter II CE dedicated, Neo-Geo MVS 4-25, CPS2 USA system
JC48573
128-bit

by JC48573 Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:02 am

fedexin wrote:So this begs the question; What kind of clergyman can afford a large HDTV, and has plenty of time for video games?

He has plenty of time or maybe he knows how to manage his time perfectly (quite the discipline I say). He carries his psp with him all the time.
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:37 pm

fedexin wrote:Will he be living in the states? I'm guessing so as they don't offically allow consoles of any type in China.

WTF? So, the major department stores I was shopping at in Shanghai, Beijing, Hangzhou, etc. that had PS2s, PS3s, DS systems, etc. was "unofficial"?

OP, I would tell your friend to get a PS3. It has a wide game selection and can interface with his PSP. He would probably like that. He will already be familiar with the interface as it's the same as the PSP.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:47 pm

Wow, apparently I don't know much about monks. I never pictured a Buddhist Monk playing video games. Seems like the sort of thing they wouldn't be interested in
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
fedexin
32-bit

by fedexin Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:21 pm

Breetai wrote:
fedexin wrote:Will he be living in the states? I'm guessing so as they don't offically allow consoles of any type in China.

WTF? So, the major department stores I was shopping at in Shanghai, Beijing, Hangzhou, etc. that had PS2s, PS3s, DS systems, etc. was "unofficial"?

Yes: http://kotaku.com/5587577/why-are-conso ... d-in-china

...but you're right in that they are not unofficial, they're simply illegal. =(
Consoles owned currently: Lynx model 1, Lynx model 2, TG-16, Turbo Express w/TV Tuner, PS3, PS2, XBox 360, Neo-Geo AES (UniBios), Neo-Geo AES (U), Virtual Boy, PSP, GBA, DS, DS Lite, N64, Saturn, Wii, Mini Neo-Geo MVS (MAME), Asteroids standup, Defender cocktail, Street Fighter II CE dedicated, Neo-Geo MVS 4-25, CPS2 USA system
weasels
Next-Gen

by weasels Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:25 pm

if im getting the picture right, he more or less is a Buddhist (as in he follows Buddhism), but not really a "monk" parse....or are our idea's of a Buddhist monk really that altered?
"ninja's wear clothing of every color so they can blend with the alphabet."-best friend concerning bushido blade 2.
my trade and sell list is right here: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20601

N64, saturn model 2, ds, Dreamcast, ps1, ps2, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, xbox, 3DO, psp slim (v.3001.)
feel free to PM/IM me if you feel like talking to me.
JC48573
128-bit

by JC48573 Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:30 pm

^ you tell me. The reason I brought this up is that monks are really not that any different from the rest of us. They just eat different as far as I know and use fancy tech gears like iphones and such.

If a monk has no problems with violence in video games, then why do other people complain about it all the time.
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:56 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:Wow, apparently I don't know much about monks. I never pictured a Buddhist Monk playing video games. Seems like the sort of thing they wouldn't be interested in

It's not umcommon to see nice cars owned by monks at Buddhist temples in Korea and Japan. Even BMW and Benz sometimes. They can also have families. I knew one with a motorbike when I was in Korea. I imagine that China is not that different, depending on how well the temple does and its location.
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:03 pm

fedexin wrote:
Breetai wrote:

Yes: http://kotaku.com/5587577/why-are-conso ... d-in-china

...but you're right in that they are not unofficial, they're simply illegal. =(

Come to think of it, the consoles I saw for sale were in Shanghai. There were DEFINITELY DS systems and PS2s for sale. I can't recall seeing a PS3, now that I think about it. That was a few years ago now. I guess

From Kotaku:
The console ban does exist on paper, but it is not strictly enforced... Sony released the PlayStation 2 in China in January 2004.

BINGO. They ARE sold in China. This is kind of like how "religion" is "illegal" in China, yet there are churches and temples all over the place. Same for the "one child policy". Plenty of families have multiple children.
fedexin
32-bit

by fedexin Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:07 pm

Breetai wrote:BINGO. They ARE sold in China. This is kind of like how "religion" is "illegal" in China, yet there are churches and temples all over the place. Same for the "one child policy". Plenty of families have multiple children.

Weed is openly sold in stores in Oakland, but is illegal on a federal level. What's your point? I never said they don't sell DS' in China...
Return to General Gaming