Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
AppleQueso

Re: Top 5 Gaming Disappointments of 2010

by AppleQueso Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:20 pm

J T wrote:I find it generally disappointing that many of the big releases this year were sequels that were very similar to their predecessors.

Final Fantasy XIII
Metroid Other M

While I can't speak for the rest of your list, I'd argue that these two titles were VERY different from their predecessors in many ways... much to the detriment of many of their long time fans.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:16 pm

J T wrote:Metroid Other M

It's not that I think any of these are bad games, or that I even have a problem with sequels. It's just that when you look back on the year, there was little innovation. Many of these sequels don't even take many chances.

Hubba Bubba wha?

Not a lot of innovation on the storyline, but M took Metroid to a different place, whether that new place is something metroid fans like or not.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:18 pm

Luke wrote:

It's not that I think any of these are bad games, or that I even have a problem with sequels. It's just that when you look back on the year, there was little innovation. Many of these sequels don't even take many chances.

Hubba Bubba wha?

Not a lot of innovation on the storyline, but M took Metroid to a different place, whether that new place is something metroid fans like or not.

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:22 pm

OK, those games branched in somewhat differnet directions, but the results seem to have not gone over well with many gamers.

I guess I'm just surprised that I was so much more excited about indie games this year than mainstream releases. With titles like Amnesia: the Dark Descent, Minecraft, Octodad, Super Meat Boy, VVVVVV, Recettear, Shank, The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom, Shatter, Gridrunner Revolution, Bit Trip.Beat, Beat Hazard... the indie scene was simply bursting with creativity this year. My top 10 list for the year would likely be made up entirely of indie games, which just makes me think that the mainstream game makers are losing their edge as they continue to pump out more graphically polished sequels.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:18 am

J T wrote: which just makes me think that the mainstream game makers are losing their edge as they continue to pump out more graphically polished sequels.

No it's just that professional game making is a very expensive investment, so they try to play it safe as possible. For every successful indie game maker do you know how many unsuccessful ones there are?

But I have hope for the future. The iphone the DS and the Wii (Nintendo's games on it at least) have proved that people don't care about fancy graphics, but only for fun gameplay. The best selling Mario games in 2 decades are 2D games (which makes me kind of sad cause the Galaxy series is of much higher quality compared to the New SMB series).

So hopefully we get more quircky games from now on.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:39 pm

AppleQueso wrote:
Luke wrote:

Hubba Bubba wha?

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean.

Mine or JT's quote?

My Scarecrow reference was also lost on that post.
Return to General Gaming