Slim CRT keywords?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
wootcube
32-bit

Slim CRT keywords?

Post by wootcube »

I'm trying to find a 16:9 CRT however I don't have very much room to put it - I've heard a lot about slim CRTs but everything I've found is very vague.

"Slim CRT" doesn't turn up any useful results on ebay or amazon - are there any other keywords that might help me find a thin-ish CRT? The obvious ones only ever turn up TV's with terrible reviews.

Model numbers would be greatly appreciated too, if anybody actually has one they would recommend.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Slim CRT keywords?

Post by CRTGAMER »

I don't think there is such a thing as a slim CRT Tube. :lol:

But I think know what you mean, about shelf space issue. You might try comparing depth sizes online, hypothetical at this stage since a good HD CRT will be a lucky find used.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

wootcube
32-bit

Post by wootcube »

I figured someone would say that - I know "slim" and "tube" are kind of opposites :P , but I know that there are some that were around 16"-22" deep produced before LCD completely took over.
Nostalgia Addict

Post by Nostalgia Addict »

Don't forget, 16:9 tubes are generally deeper than 4:3 tubes. I think both Sony and Samsung made slim tubes in the US, though.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

Samsung Slimfit CRT's. The 32'' one was the largest model ever produced and sized up at only 16'' deep, comparable to an LCD with a wide stand.

Made from 2002 to 2006 these were the most popular direct view CRT televisions ever in the history of the format. Samsung managed to capture 60% of the market on the ENTIRETY of CRT format displays (SD and HD) from it's introduction until they were phased out in late 2006 to early 2007.

Very slim and light with a sleek design compared to almost any other CRT ever produced out there.

There were some issues with these that you'll have to look out for. Firmware was placed on some of these haphazardly and needs to be reloaded by a tech if you see lots of wonky issues with menus and the display controls. Convergence (the separation and combination of the three signals of light to form color) is a bit tricky to maintain on these sets. Thanks to the unorthodox tube design the colors tend to separate or bleed in the bottom 2'' of screen space or at the four corners. Thankfully this is easily fixable for any TV tech worth his salt, but like the firmware fix above requires you to take it to a TV shop and having them fix it manually from the inside of your TV.

WARNING: NEVER open or attempt to open up a CRT television yourself and service it if you are not qualified or licensed. IT WILL LITERALLY COOK YOUR BODY INSIDE OUT WITH ELECTRICITY AND KILL YOU. CRT format TV's contain what can be amounted to as insane amounts of electricity inside of them to power the tube and other electronics when compared to almost any other singular home appliance.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366