Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
gennss
128-bit

Rear Projection TVs for Retrogaming?

by gennss Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:01 pm

Are rearprojection tv's any good?

No I don't know enough about tv's to know if its any good. I just bought the biggest tv i've ever owned lcd 32" this month, but for my living room i see many cheap rear projection tv's on craigslist, so I was curious.
--
Gennss
--
AppleQueso

Re: Rear Projection TVs for Retrogaming?

by AppleQueso Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:07 pm

Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a rear projection TV that worked right. Literally every one I've ever come across had something wrong with it.
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

by optmusprimenumber Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:42 pm

Don't they have those "anti glare" screen covers that ruin seeing it from any sort of angle? And aren't they notorious for "burn in" images? Eff that.
gennss
128-bit

by gennss Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:46 pm

optmusprimenumber wrote:Don't they have those "anti glare" screen covers that ruin seeing it from any sort of angle? And aren't they notorious for "burn in" images? Eff that.

Only the older ones have burn in, from the little crt in it.

And its 1/5th the price of an lcd or less than that, is why i'm considering it. It won't be the primary place of tv watching anyway, we usually watch tv in bedrooms in my home.

I was thinking a 50" hd rear projection tv would be nicer than the 32" blurry crt with bad connectors in the back that I use there now. Will it run Radiant silvergun and law & order nicely is what i really want to know.
--
Gennss
--
Inazuma
Next-Gen

by Inazuma Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:10 pm

I used to play games on a 50" rear projection TV back in the 16-bit days. It worked just fine. They even worked with lightguns!

I dunno how they are holding up though. Considering how old they are now, it may be hard to find one that still works properly and doesn't have burn-in.
gennss
128-bit

by gennss Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:45 pm

Inazuma wrote:I used to play games on a 50" rear projection TV back in the 16-bit days. It worked just fine. They even worked with lightguns!

I dunno how they are holding up though. Considering how old they are now, it may be hard to find one that still works properly and doesn't have burn-in.

I think they still make them. They come in 1080i at least
--
Gennss
--
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:54 pm

Never liked Rear Projection TVs. The dull screen can only be seen when looking directly in front, forget trying to watch in a bright room. I did see an Arcade that used a non mounted light gun with a rear projection screen. Amazed it even worked, had to be a separate sensor behind that mirrored screen.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

gennss
128-bit

by gennss Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:28 pm

The $100 to $150 price range though for over 50" at 1080i is mighty tempting for a spare...
--
Gennss
--
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

by YoshiEgg25 Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:30 pm

I can't play Sonic the Hedgehog on Wii Virtual Console with mine. I don't know about systems being hooked directly into it though.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:57 pm

My dad has a Sony 50" SD CRT Rear projection TV that displays a decent picture. It does have some vertical angle-viewing problems, and it took me several hours of tweaking it's service-mode settings to make it look good, but 240P signals look really good on it. It's got visible scanlines and crisp pixels (for a screen that size - imo). When he first got it last year, it looked terrible. The geometry was all wrong, the color convergence button didn't work, and there were strange spots on the screen that turned out to be dust and cobwebs.
The blue CRT is defocused from the factory and I couldn't get the picture on it to come in as crisply as the red&green pictures. Also it bleeds colors a bit on it's "vivid" setting (not supposed to use that anyway).
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Return to General Gaming