Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
the7k
Next-Gen

Re: Tales of Xillia Announced

by the7k Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:52 pm

AppleQueso wrote:Didn't Sony pushing them around have something to do with it? I remember hearing about Sony forcing them to release certain games at "budget" prices because Sony deemed the games "inferior", along with just generally giving them trouble when it came to getting games approved.

Heard the same deal with Sega. I remember hearing that Working Designs had to fight tooth and nail to get Magic Knight Rayearth on the Saturn because Sega of America was extremely anti-RPG.

Anyway, I think Square is to blame for no good RPGs getting made. Now that Square can't make a decent RPG to save its life, everybody thinks the RPG genre is screwed - when really, it's just that Square is completely incompetent.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:57 pm

lisalover1 wrote:none of the PSP ports did

Tales of Eternia was actually released in PAL territories. Since it's region free you can search the net for it if you want. Otherwise I'm sad to find out you are right. I kept hearing new Tales games being announced and I hadn't noticed that they weren't being released in the West.

I loved ToS's battle system and would love to play a new game in the series. Though ToS's Wii sequel got a Western release, so perhaps I should look it up.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
the7k
Next-Gen

by the7k Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:01 pm

I don't understand why, if Namco is so afraid to bring these games to the West, they don't let a company like Atlus or Nippon Ichi do the work.

Is it because they're afraid that Atlus and NIS will be successful (as they most likely will be), and they don't want irrefutable proof that they can't deliver the goods nearly as well as a smaller publisher can?
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:05 pm

Might as well ask Nintendo why they won't let another publisher bring over Fatal Frame IV
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:09 pm

probably cause they want to have the option to release the games at a later date. In order to support the DS in the west, once the 3DS is out, Nintendo plans to port a bunch of Japanese games that haven't been released here yet.

Source:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-05-nintendo-sees-quirky-future-for-ds
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

by Satoshi_Matrix Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:27 pm

I love the Tales games, and I sincerely hope this one will break the trend and we'll see a western release. I don't understand how Namco can think RPGs are dead..they're RPGs!
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:13 pm

ZeroAX wrote:
lisalover1 wrote:none of the PSP ports did

Tales of Eternia was actually released in PAL territories. Since it's region free you can search the net for it if you want. Otherwise I'm sad to find out you are right. I kept hearing new Tales games being announced and I hadn't noticed that they weren't being released in the West.

I loved ToS's battle system and would love to play a new game in the series. Though ToS's Wii sequel got a Western release, so perhaps I should look it up.

Crap, I'm embarrassed that I forgot the Eternia port, considering I own it. :P
An interview was recently done with one of the heads of Public Relations at Bamco America, wherein he said that "We have no plans to localize any Tales games at this time" was not just a marketing cover statement; they actually MEANT it. Bamco really has no intention of releasing any of these games to Western markets. He made that abundantly clear in the interview.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:07 pm

Holy crap, Bamco is ceasing development for all of its non-Japanese studios. This is actually the best news I have heard all day.
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/12/16/bandai-namco-we-fail-at-using-foreigners-we-give-up/
[Link NSFW]
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
jfrost
Next-Gen

by jfrost Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:12 pm

I think Capcom also said recently it would at least limit its dealings with foreign developers. Most of their outsourced works suck anyway, should be for the better.
the7k
Next-Gen

by the7k Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Yeah, it seems like they're learning that trying to make a Call of Duty, Gears of War, or Halo copycat isn't going to work out so well when people already have Call of Duty, Gears of War and Halo.

Which impresses me. I honestly thought it would take them longer to figure this out - as in, I thought this would be going on well into the year 2020.
Return to General Gaming