Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Jamisonia
128-bit

CD-R Music for game burning?

by Jamisonia Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:36 pm

My girlfriend found about 100 TDK CD-R Music discs from a few years ago tucked away in her room. I'm not sure what makes the special Music designation on blank CD-Rs, but will it make a difference for game burning?
AppleQueso

Re: CD-R Music for game burning?

by AppleQueso Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:55 pm

No, not really. You can burn games to them fine.
avrame
128-bit

by avrame Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:03 pm

Only real difference is that the tops of the CD are treated to be UV proof, that way they can last inside of a car. I have about 10 CDRs in my car, the 3 non-music cdrs have started to yellow and the labels started to peel due to constant heating and cooling.

Keep in mind, that took a good 10 years to happen, my first dying cdr is labeled "Sophomore mix", burned a good 8-9 years back :P
If you aren't having a good time, why are you playing?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:44 pm

avrame wrote: my first dying cdr is labeled "Sophomore mix", burned a good 8-9 years back :P

what's on it?
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:45 pm

You can use "music" CD-R's for anything you need a CD-R for.
avrame
128-bit

by avrame Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:56 pm

dsheinem wrote:
avrame wrote: my first dying cdr is labeled "Sophomore mix", burned a good 8-9 years back :P

what's on it?

Hmm, like I said, the label is peeling, so it doesn't play no more, but from what I remember:

Story of the Year, Yellowcard, Hoobastank, Nelly, Linkin Park, and Outkast to name a few
If you aren't having a good time, why are you playing?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:14 pm

avrame wrote:Only real difference is that the tops of the CD are treated to be UV proof, that way they can last inside of a car. I have about 10 CDRs in my car, the 3 non-music cdrs have started to yellow and the labels started to peel due to constant heating and cooling.

Keep in mind, that took a good 10 years to happen, my first dying cdr is labeled "Sophomore mix", burned a good 8-9 years back :P
I always wondered why specialized Music CDRs cost more, always thought it was just a marketing ploy. The label peeling, is that the original CDR label dye or an added print on label. Do you store your CDs in a jewel case in the driver sun visor?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:16 pm

I never noticed them costing more. I always just go for whatever is the best price (not including shit brands).
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:20 pm

"Music" CDRs had a special information patch somewhere on them that was only read by those home stereo CD recorders that were available years ago. The units required that type of disc as there was an extra tax of sorts on them to cover the fact that people would be using them solely to copy music. It was kind of a "we know you're going to pirate so there's an extra fee" thing and those discs cost more than plain data CDRs. Computer burners don't know or care about that little info patch so just use them.

See the last paragraph of the history section here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-R#History
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:32 pm

Interesting, a fail since most burn music on computers. I wonder if Music CDRs will affect a game burn with that added Disc Application Flag.

avrame, curious where you read about that UV dye and the cause of your label peeling.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Return to General Gaming