Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Re: best 6 button super famicom controller?

by hashiriya1 Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:48 pm

Surprised nobody mentioned the abundance of places in Saitama and Chiba prefectures. Both require a little know-how, but there are a lot of shops near stations that sell good stuff. Especially Gyotoku station (just outside Tokyo) along the Tozai line.

You don't have to go to a "hard off' to find great deals, but it is a great suggestion. GEO (movie rental chain) is an often overlooked shop that also sells retro goodies and they can be found throughout Tokyo. I've bought some good stuff at the GEO store in Togoshi Kouen and Komazawa Daigaku branches. There are dozens of them spread out around Tokyo. Sometimes they have good stuff, sometimes they don't. Some things are pricey, some are dirt cheap. The best deal I got was a boxed Panasonic Q for 3,980 yen, and that was at the Togoshi Kouen store.

So you have two choices. Go to the outskirts or pay the Akiba premium. But since it's just a controller, just save your friend the trouble and pay Akiba prices. The most annoying thing to do while you're on vacation is looking for something for other people per their request. Do your friend a favor and make it easy for him/her.

This is also a great controller for fighting:

It looks awkward, but it's surprisingly comfortable, IMO. I use it to play Alpha 2 and Turbo on SFC. They are cheap and easy to find.
grittykitty
forever 16-bit

by grittykitty Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:12 pm

hashiriya, thanks for the controller suggestion. i used to see these capcom soldier pads all the time at electronics boutique back in high school! too bad i never tried it, but i imagine if capcom designed it themselves then it's probably great.

my friend mentioned hard-off specifically, and he's not really a gamer. so i'll just take whatever he can get from there or any where else he happens to end up. i'm going to visit my girlfriend at the end of march, so i can hit akiba if i really need to. i have been to geo before and found some good stuff there :)
Let's TRADE! : check my BST thread
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:20 pm

hashiriya1 wrote:Surprised nobody mentioned the abundance of places in Saitama and Chiba prefectures. Both require a little know-how, but there are a lot of shops near stations that sell good stuff. Especially Gyotoku station (just outside Tokyo) along the Tozai line.

You don't have to go to a "hard off' to find great deals, but it is a great suggestion. GEO (movie rental chain) is an often overlooked shop that also sells retro goodies and they can be found throughout Tokyo. I've bought some good stuff at the GEO store in Togoshi Kouen and Komazawa Daigaku branches. There are dozens of them spread out around Tokyo. Sometimes they have good stuff, sometimes they don't. Some things are pricey, some are dirt cheap. The best deal I got was a boxed Panasonic Q for 3,980 yen, and that was at the Togoshi Kouen store.

So you have two choices. Go to the outskirts or pay the Akiba premium. But since it's just a controller, just save your friend the trouble and pay Akiba prices. The most annoying thing to do while you're on vacation is looking for something for other people per their request. Do your friend a favor and make it easy for him/her.

I was never too impressed with GEO. The ones I've been are usually picked through fairly well. Maybe the ones you suggested are better than the ones I know. The ones in Musashi Urawa and Sakado, both Saitama, were good... but out of the way (VERY much out of the way in the case of Sakado!). The Momotaro chain of game shops in Saitama are sometimes good, but for the distance travelled... they really are not worth the extra trip. Stick to Akihabara and Nakano. I very much agree with Hashiriya here. Don't make your friend run around too much for you. ONLY if he wants to check out something like a Hard-Off on his own accord, should he even consider going there.

A lot of the GEO and Momotaro stores seem to be getting out of a lot of retro stuff. It is very hard to find PC Engine and Mega Drive stuff, and now Saturn and Dreamcast stuff at many locations. I'm not sure if it is the case as much in the south end of Tokyo/Chiba/Kanagawa, but it is true in the north/west/Saitama side.

I'm very familiar with the areas north and west of Tokyo. Seems Hashiriya is better on the southeast/southwest end of things.
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

by hashiriya1 Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:01 pm

Breetai wrote:
hashiriya1 wrote:Surprised nobody mentioned the abundance of places in Saitama and Chiba prefectures. Both require a little know-how, but there are a lot of shops near stations that sell good stuff. Especially Gyotoku station (just outside Tokyo) along the Tozai line.

I was never too impressed with GEO. The ones I've been are usually picked through fairly well. Maybe the ones you suggested are better than the ones I know. The ones in Musashi Urawa and Sakado, both Saitama, were good... but out of the way (VERY much out of the way in the case of Sakado!). The Momotaro chain of game shops in Saitama are sometimes good, but for the distance travelled... they really are not worth the extra trip. Stick to Akihabara and Nakano. I very much agree with Hashiriya here. Don't make your friend run around too much for you. ONLY if he wants to check out something like a Hard-Off on his own accord, should he even consider going there.

A lot of the GEO and Momotaro stores seem to be getting out of a lot of retro stuff. It is very hard to find PC Engine and Mega Drive stuff, and now Saturn and Dreamcast stuff at many locations. I'm not sure if it is the case as much in the south end of Tokyo/Chiba/Kanagawa, but it is true in the north/west/Saitama side.

I'm very familiar with the areas north and west of Tokyo. Seems Hashiriya is better on the southeast/southwest end of things.

If you compare Tokyo GEO stores to ones in the countryside, there is no comparison. Inaka GEOs have giant retro sections. But Tokyo GEO stores do have some treasures. The Togoshi Kouen store was where I rented movies when I lived in Tokyo, and the other one is where my gf at the time lived. So I would go to both. I did notice that out of the dozens of GEOs I have been to across Japan, they really have a bias towards Nintendo products. There is always a big selection of FC, SFC, N64, and GCN compared to other systems. Of course, I would choose HARD OFF over GEO in a heartbeat. GEO is just easier to access if you're in central Tokyo.
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:18 pm

hashiriya1 wrote:If you compare Tokyo GEO stores to ones in the countryside, there is no comparison. Inaka GEOs have giant retro sections. But Tokyo GEO stores do have some treasures. The Togoshi Kouen store was where I rented movies when I lived in Tokyo, and the other one is where my gf at the time lived. So I would go to both. I did notice that out of the dozens of GEOs I have been to across Japan, they really have a bias towards Nintendo products. There is always a big selection of FC, SFC, N64, and GCN compared to other systems. Of course, I would choose HARD OFF over GEO in a heartbeat. GEO is just easier to access if you're in central Tokyo.

I agree 100%.
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

by pepharytheworm Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:18 am

hashiriya1 wrote:This is also a great controller for fighting:

It looks awkward, but it's surprisingly comfortable, IMO. I use it to play Alpha 2 and Turbo on SFC. They are cheap and easy to find.

If your interested grittykitty, I am selling a SFC version for $15 and am having a 20% off sale on my sells thread. So its $12 right now. I also have the US version if you would prefer, not much difference though besides SFC written on one and nothing on the other.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14885
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
d123456
Next-Gen

by d123456 Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:19 am

D.D.D. wrote:
d123456 wrote:
D.D.D. wrote:ASCII turbo controller. Nice size, same button layout, solid build, and really the only controller I ever needed (that and the cord length is proper, about 2 meters).

to make it short, no, this controller sucks balls and is mega weak. it will break. do not play with fighters.

Perhaps you are brutal on your controllers - try to elaborate as to why you think they are not any good instead of trivial negative statements.
I own 3 of them and amongst 7 friends, we have played 1,000s of hours on SF2, SF2:Turbo, and KI. They're still good today.

Really? :shock:
Both the L AND the R buttons broke. Not just L or just R, they both broke. We still played with them even though the L and R button were loose in de pad.
ok, now you own 4 of them amongst 8 friends and 1 broke.
It was in 1993 and me and my brother played SF2 with it for a straight year.....
Come to think of it. you are right. even though they might be weaker tha standard Nintendo SF pads, playing as much as we did is not realistic test case. :D
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
Para
128-bit

by Para Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:53 am

I have a Super Advantage and it isn't very good. I don't know if it is just the one I have but mine sucks pretty badly.
Yackom
32-bit

by Yackom Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:46 am

you guys see this?!

Yackom
32-bit

by Yackom Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:47 am

Return to General Gaming